Re-used animation

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Booshman, May 28, 2018.

1. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

I was editing Thundercats again and I noticed some reused animation I hadn't spotted before. Check out the flashes of light as the Sowrd of Omens grows, they are also in the opening credits. I reordered the frames from the intro to match the clip of the sword in circumstances where they weren't the same..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    adssse, Daremonger and Wilycub like this.
  2. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Nice catch, Booshman! :thumbsup So what new ThunderCats editing project are you working on? If you don't mind me asking. :)

Daremonger likes this.
  3. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I noticed this also. Most animation throughout the original ThunderCats was recycled and featured variations like your post here. :)

4. Booshman

It's an upgrade to the Exodus VHS version I made from the DVD. Using my upgraded episodes as the source, with a better capture of the VHS for the deleted bits. It's a big improvement.

jabus, Wilycub, adssse and 1 other person like this.
  5. Daremonger

I believe I noticed the upgrade with the Sword of Omens bit you posted. ;)

6. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Great Void Dweller

Oh, AWESOME! Please let us know when it is ready to be viewed! Your work is always fantastic!

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Daremonger likes this.
  7. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Definitely looking forward to that!

Daremonger likes this.
  8. Wilycub

That's fantastic! :thumbsup I'm still very grateful and cherish your previous "Exodus" edit which you kindly shared with me. It had the best quality "Lost Intro" so far. :thumbsup If you can manage to upgrade the "Lost Intro" even more, please please please I'd love to have it as well.

Daremonger likes this.
  9. Daremonger

I remember that "lost intro" very fondly. ^_^

10. Daremonger

You can consider me interested in Booshman's new project as well!

11. Booshman

Almost done, just doing final checks for any corrections that need to be done.

Here is a comparison of the image from my old version. The picture of Jaga compares the quality of VHS captured sources. The pic of Lion-O is comparing DVD. The audio is also better. Old on the left, new on the right.

[​IMG]

12. ButterflyBoy

Super excited, Booshman! Thank you!
    Just curious, what can you tell us about the new source you're using?

Daremonger likes this.
  13. Booshman

The VHS has been captured from a US VHS, with very little wear by the look of it. Graciously aquired and capped by thezaxfactor and cleaned up with a few filers by me. The DVD stuff is the NTSC DVD but also has been filtered to clean the image. The whole thing has been converted from an interlaced image at 29.97fps, to 23.976 progressive, and encoded at very high quality, so it looks great. The whole thing is under 3gb too.

Here's a comparison of the DVD on the left, and the DVD ater filtering on the right.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Daremonger and Wilycub like this.
  14. thezaxfactor

thezaxfactor Staff Writer and Moderator TC.org Staff

One reason the VHS I captured is in such good shape may be that it's younger, manufactured in 1991 rather than 1985. I can reach out to the guy I bought it from to find out how much play it saw, but I'm guessing not nearly as much as my childhood copy!

It looks great, Booshman. I'm super excited to see it fully cleaned up and stitched together! Do you mind if I ask—why the change in frame rate? Are you just trying to emulate a cinematic look, or was the animation originally filmed at 24 and only broadcast at 29.97? (I feel like you've explained this before, but I've forgotten. )

Daremonger and ButterflyBoy like this.
  15. Booshman

The original animation would have been captured to film which is 24fps progressive, so if it were to be shown in a theatre then it's good to go. To transfer to NTSC tape and then DVD the film is telecined, with a resultant interlaced 29.97fps. After inversing the telecine of the VHS and DVD footage the resultant video is 23.976fps. 24fps is not standard for NTSC due to some frquency alterations they made way back when colour was added to broadcast, and this has remained standard. So bluray for instance, which uses progressive video, even though the original movie was shot on film at 24fps, contains video at 23.976fps.

16. ButterflyBoy

I can't wait to see it. Wow, Thundercats on VHS were still being produced circa '91? Was it a straight re-release of the original "Exodus" vhs? Meaning same case, even the same silver with green lettering on the actual tape?

Daremonger likes this.
  17. ButterflyBoy

Also Booshman, when the new version is ready, will you be letting us know about it in this thread or should we keep our eyes peeled elsewhere?

Daremonger likes this.
  18. Booshman

Anyone who has posted interest in this thread I will PM. Anyone else after the fact feel free to message me.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Daremonger likes this.
  19. thezaxfactor

thezaxfactor Staff Writer and Moderator TC.org Staff

No, it's the white and purple label from the later volumes. That's where the 1991 copyright is marked, actually. Everything else about the tape (post-roll advertising, for instance) is exactly the same.

I'm actually 90% done with a page for the site that covers all the American home video releases—just need to finish cleaning up some artwork. I'll start a new thread when it's done.

Daremonger likes this.
  20. Wilycub

Even though I have posted in this thread I'm posting again because I'm doubly interested!! :biggrin

Daremonger likes this.