Revisiting the 2011 series.

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by Mark M, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Claudus was definitely not an easily likeable character. Vast contrast to the original series Claudus.

2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

That's true. Both Clauduses are different.

3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

As a leader and lord of the Thundercats the OS Claudus was definitely the superior leader.

4. Daremonger

Most definitely.

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I have mentioned before the comparisons to Avatar. I honestly think they had a longer story that would span at least two or three seasons. But I think the way they tried to make the long story arc yet trying to still make it episodic like the OS was a bad idea. I really think they should have just stuck to one idea and tried to successfully pull it off.

6. Daremonger

The NS did try to do too much, which proved to be its downfall.

7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

In some ways it reminds me of some of those Marvel and DC animated movies. To childish to appeal to most adults and to grown up and dark to appeal to the vast majority of children.

8. TMNachoT

TMNachoT Crabman

I'm not a fan of the old TC series, I was more into he-man, gijoe and tmnt.

Regarding the new series, I ADORE it, I mean, I never thought that i'll in love to a new cartoon, until now, I was more than happy with B:TAS and TMNT (2K3 series).

I give an 8 or 9 to this cartoon. My only complaint? It's a shame we didn't get another season.

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I like the 2011 series but it is very frustrating when you know they could have done so much better.

10. Bengali

Bengali Rampager

Exactly. I mean the original intro as most people know is EPIC, the 2011 series didn't even have one! The power stones thing was a failure as well, totally taking away from the eye of thundera's uniqueness. I can go on and on. I didn't even get it. Where did mummra get the "animals" again? *sigh*

11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

There was good few things I didn't get and see the point in.
    I really agree with what you say about the Eye of Thundera. They really did rob it of its mystical mystery etc.
    My biggest problems are the lack of and inconsistency of the characters and the designs.

12. Bengali

Bengali Rampager

I don't think the designs of the main ThunderCats were THAT bad. Panthro and Tygra should have kept their classic colors though for sure. I really hated that Mumm-Ra had wings instead of the red torn cape. Oh yea and Tygra having a gun was soooo un-thundercats like. Just blasphemy.

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I didn't think Lion-O's design was that heroic. I didn't like the bat wings either. Well Tygra still used his whip so I didn't think using the gun was so bad. They really should have kept the classic colours. Still at least they didn't go all X-men with matching uniforms lol.
    I still really hated them not having technology.

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It makes more sense for them to have more than just one weapon. If you were going into a battle would really just want going in with a whip, or a staff? I would take the whip into battle if I had a couple hand guns, a rifle and maybe a couple knifes with me as well. ;)

15. Bengali

Bengali Rampager

Having big laser weapons that look like huge battle canons is different than Tygra carrying around a pistol that actually looks like a real hand gun. It was unnessasary. They just tried to make it more modern and failed.

I just picked up the first season on DVD, after watching the first few episodes, I really have to say that it was all over the place from the very beginning.

The first episode implies that there was an ancient battle with the cats vs mummra/lizards but then in 'legacy' we see that the only "battle" that happend was a rebellion somewhere in space.

16. Mongor

Mongor Laser Beast TC.org Staff

Just to share my thoughts...

I am not a fan of the 2011 series. I understand that the creators were trying to pay homage to the original show while creating something that was both different and fresh. Unfortunately, their failure was in the execution. For me, many of the elements that made the original series popular were lost. Some fans that I have spoken to have said that the new series is better because there is more continuity between episodes, but shows like South Park and The Simpsons have shown us that animated programs do not need continuity to be successful and interesting. When the new series was advertised, I was excited to see what was it was going to be like, but I was so disappointed as each new episode premiered. I felt the same way when Rob Zombie announced he was remaking John Carpenter's Halloween (my favorite movie). Just like the 2011 series, Zombie had the potential to rewrite the story of Michael Myers and bring new life into the franchise, but his execution was terrible leading to one of the worst remakes, in my opinion. In any case, I hoped that the story in the 2011 series would conclude because I wanted to write and publish an article comparing the two series. Since my PhD dissertation was about adaptations (and remakes to a lesser extent), I feel that an article on the two shows would be something interesting for Tcats fans to read, but I don't feel I could write a justifiable article when the 2011 series finished with too many loose ends.

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Bengali, Mongor, I agree with what you are saying. As I have said over all I still think they had the wrong creative team working on the 2011 series. They lost a lot of what really made the original series appeal to its fans.

The first few episodes of the 2011 series are not very good and when a show starts so poor it is hard to keep a fans interested for the next episode. Granted it got a lot better, but the damage was done.

18. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I actually really enjoyed the 2011 series. It is quite different from the original and I guess if what you were looking for was a tweaked/updated version of the classic than I can see the disappointment. I look at them both in their own light (somewhat like the Wildstorm comics etc) and enjoy them. I seem to recall many liking the 2011 series, especially the first couple of episodes. It seems like there was no push behind the series though by WB. Unfortunately they don't appear too invested in the Thundercats property. Hopefully that will change for the anniversary.

19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Upon a second watch without comparing it to the OS I really did enjoy it even with it's faults. If the writing and creative staff had just been a bit more coordinated they really could have produced an amazing show.

20. Bengali

Bengali Rampager

Theres really nothing I like about the new series. Everytime I see kit and kat with tales my stomach turns. Panthro comes off as borderline schizophrenic. As a group the ThunderCats seem like angry teenagers. Its just an awful mess. Its so irritating how they didn't put that little mark under their eyes which was such a trademark of the classic...they tried to put it on Leo but off to the side a little..grrr. Oh yea and who was Leo's Avatar girlfriend in 'Legacy'?