Rewatch of classic 80s cartoons?

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by LiamABC, Sep 19, 2016.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Hi all.

After the recent success earlier this year of the Thundercats 2011 rewatch discussions, I've been talking with a couple of other members on here, and we're looking at starting a series of threads for actively rewatching other 80s classics and perhaps a few other shows from other periods and maybe even the odd classic movie.

Obviously most shows have far too many episodes to cover the whole series in these reviews, so the plan for most shows will be to watch say two or three episodes a week, and typically spend up to four weeks on each show:

Week 1 - the pilot and other establishing episodes
    Weeks 2-3 - selected highlights, possibly voted for by the whole group
    Week 4 - a feature length "movie" adventure (if there is one - also this may be week 3 depending on where it occurs in the continuity of the show)

If a show only lasted something like 13 episodes, then we might conceivably do the whole series there.

We're looking at going through a lot of the shows that were big on one or other side of the Atlantic back in the 1980s and early 1990s. I myself am not necessarily a fan of all of these but we're already looking at including:

Transformers
    He-Man
    Defenders Of The Earth
    The Real Ghostbusters
    Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles
    Visionaries: Knights Of The Magical Light
    Bucky O'Hare

Who's in?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I would be interested as much as my current schedule allows, especially Thundercats episodes!

Mark M and LiamABC like this.
  3. grumpykat

grumpykat Active Member

from that list I have five of them on the shelf. some still hope up well, others.....yeahhhhhhh.

No Thundarr or D&D, or Galtar or Pirates of Dark Water?

Mark M and LiamABC like this.
  4. LiamABC

I'm open to new additions. I didn't list every show up for consideration simply because I can't be expected to think of everything. Like I said, I did even list some shows that I didn't see as a kid or wasn't a fan of. Dungeons & Dragons and Pirates Of Dark Water I'm up for including a few episodes of those absolutely. I've not heard of the other two but if enough people want to watch them, then fair enough.

As for Thundercats itself, that's a possibility, but we might want to do it separately in the "main" forum.

We're thinking of starting with Transformers, simply because it's a big successful show from the 80s that most people will be familiar with. I myself never saw it as a kid and count count on my hands the number of episodes I've seen as an adult. But I recognise its importance on a list like this.

Mark M likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I am up for doing it.
    Dungeons & Dragons is a must.
    Some other shows we could cover would be:
    Sectaurs
    G.I. Joe
    Conan the Adventurer
    Biker Mice From Mars
    Bravestarr
    Robotix
    Robotech
    Voltron
    Gobots
    Star Fleet X-Bomber

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.
  6. LiamABC

Well, we've got a good list to start with, enough to last probably a year or two of discussions.

C.O.P.S. and Spiral Zone are worth adding to that list too. We'll try to altnerate between the really famous ones and the lesser known stuff. Obviously some shows we can probably just spend a week or two on.

We're going to start with Transformers, simply because it's one of the bigger ones and therefore accessible to most. It's actually going to be pretty new ground for me, so this will be quite an eye-opener. And we're starting with the three-part pilot, "More Than Meets The Eye". Then we can take votes on what episodes to watch in the second week. Up to three episodes per week, I think would be a reasonable maximum (unless we're watching a 5-parter). We're not going to go through entire series, just get a taster. (We might go through some short series in their entirity, but not something as long as this!) So if people can vote for their favourite individual episodes - and I mean individual episodes, as The Movie is going to be watched in about week 3-4, depending on how many highlights are considered from seasons 1-2.

I'll post the discussion thread for the pilot at the weekend. Usual rules will apply, no spoilers, keep it polite etc.

Mark M likes this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Being somewhat a Transformers episode I would be more than happy to compile a list of the best episodes. :D
    Of course we could also add M.A.S.K., Starcom, Freedom Force, Centurions and Inhumanoids to the list.

But of course we needn't be limited to all action toy based cartoons. We could look at some other classics like:
    Raccoons
    Rescue Rangers
    Gummibears
    Duck Tales
    Talespin
    Smurfs
    Scooby Doo (80's)
    Snoopy/ Charlie Brown/ Peanuts
    Fraggle Rock
    Poddinton Peas
    Dangermouse
    Duckula
    Dogtanian

shortfuse likes this.
  8. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

This is cool! Great idea Liam, I'm in! So when should I watch these eps? Should we watch the episodes weekends and then discuss during the week, then discussing new episodes the next weekend and so on?

LiamABC likes this.
  9. LiamABC

Sounds like a plan. I'll put up the discussion thread for each group of episodes in this forum (so perhaps we could keep this thread as sticky to help attract more people to these discussions). And I'll put them up over the weekend, saturday or sunday depending on what I'm doing. We can all watch the episodes as soon as possible, and be ready with our thoughts.

Also, Mark, yes, absolutely shows like DuckTales et al that are not "action cartoons" are just as valid. I simply started out listing just the action shows for ease of accessibility, as we are all here because of our mutual love of a particular action cartoon from the 80s. In any event, we've got plenty to go on already. Like I said, varying amounts of time on any given show. A week for establishing episodes, a week or two for selected highlights, and a week for a "movie" adventure. So up to four weeks per show I guess. Some shows we'll spend less time on, and in some exceptional cases we might extend a discussion to five weeks (there's a case for doing this with Transformers actually, if there are sufficient highlights in seasons 1-2).

As for selected high points, I think it's going to be more democratic if everyone gets a vote. Anyone can suggest their shortlist, and we can pick the most popular episodes from all of those. Might be a good idea to do that in the thread for the pilot. Those who have strong memories of the series can nominate up to five episodes each, and we'll pick the ones that get the most votes, say.

Mark M likes this.
  10. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Great idea! I also really like Mark's idea about including the "non-action" cartoons as well.

Gentlemen, let the games begin! :biggrin

Mark M likes this.
  11. LiamABC

OK then. We're starting with the opening three-part pilot of Transformers this weekend! As there's about 70-80 episodes before The Movie and about 15-20 after it, I suggest we spend five weeks on this show:

Week 1: The opening 3-parter
    Weeks 2-3: Highlights from seasons 1-2
    Week 4: The Movie
    Week 5: Highlights from seasons 3-4.

As for the selected high points that will follow, here's a democratic way. Everyone contributing an opinion on the pilot thread is allowed to list up to 5 (FIVE) episodes that they regard as a high point, or even an important episode in story terms (this is why we're going to do the establishing episodes for all series where applicable). Assuming there's moderate variety but some general consistency, that should produce some clear favourites. Let's try to keep the voting to individual episodes, unless there's a general consensus that a particular two or three part storyline is worth watching in its entirity.

Also, how about a name for these discussions. I'm thinking of calling it ROCKS - for Rewatching Old Classic Kids Shows.

Mark M and ThunDerianRoyalGuard like this.
  12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I know I came up with this project some what, but your organising ideas for it are better than mine so I am glad I handed over the project to you to sort out. :D

Wilycub likes this.
  13. Wilycub

I would also like to suggest the following for possible discussions in the future:

Batman: The Animated Series
    Superman: The Animated Series

Mark M likes this.
  14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yes I agree 100%.

Wilycub likes this.
  15. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Moderator TC.org Staff

I would have voted to have Bionic 6 included. Glad to see Bravestar there too. But then again, B6 might have been shown in the 90s? I don't remember the time period though as they may have aired later in our country.

Mark M likes this.
  16. LiamABC

Thanks. And I suppose Rizefall should get some credit too for starting the discussions on the 2011 remake, which ultimately got all this going.

Mark M likes this.
  17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yes, it was a great idea of his. Since we all came together to re-watch the 2011 series I thought this would be a great way for us to re-watch other cartoons and shows we enjoy and for other members who aren't familiar with some shows to get to experience them.

Your idea though of us all voting/listing our favourite episodes is far better than what I had planned.

Bionic 6 was indeed an 80's cartoon but I am not sure when it was broadcast in various places.

Bravestarr is a great show and I can't wait until we watch some of it. Although with it we will have to watch the movie first as it is the origin story.

18. LiamABC

Just so everybody knows, we're onto the second thread of Transformers.
    PS, when I said about keeping the thread sticky to generate attention, I meant this one publicising the whole concept, as opposed to the individual discussions!

19. LiamABC

OK people, they've been away for a while, but ROCKS and Movie Club will both be returning this weekend. Any suggestions of what to watch, give me a shout.

20. Wilycub

I wouldn't mind catching up on some of the other popular 80s cartoon series like:

Centurions
    Ghostbusters
    MASK
    TMNT
    He-Man

But I would also be equally happy if everyone wanted to take a break from the action cartoons and do a Disney cartoon series discussion for:

DuckTales
    Rescue Rangers
    TaleSpin
    Darkwing Duck

Mark M likes this.