ROCKS 12C: The 13 Ghosts Of Scooby Doo

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by LiamABC, Oct 22, 2017.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE THIRD DISCUSSION IN THE TWELFTH STRAND OF "R.O.C.K.S." - REWATCHING OLD CLASSIC KIDS SHOWS!
    A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

This set of threads will focus on the various incarnations of Scooby Doo over the years. This week we're looking at "The Thirteen Ghosts Of Scooby Doo" - which is notable for a number of reasons. It was the last show to feature Scrappy Doo, it included Daphne but not Fred or Velma, and most notably of all, for once the ghosts were actual ghosts, and not just some guy in a costume!

Mark M has picked some episodes for us:

- To All The Ghouls I've Loved Before
    - Coast To Ghost
    - Horror-Scope Scoob

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full episode online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the show in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I really like this series.
    During January of 2003 Cartoon Network were having a full week Marathon of non-stop Scooby-Doo cartoons. I have always really enjoyed the various Scooby Doo cartoon shows so I decided to leave some tapes on long play record and filled three video tapes with three hours of Scooby Doo.
    Whilst I was watching through the tapes I discovered The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo which I had never heard of before.
    I have always known of the actor and horror movie icon Vincent Price so you can imagine my surprise and excitement at Vincent Price being in a Scooby Doo cartoon.

This show is quite different to the previous SD shows but with the animation, voice actors, plots/scripts, humour it still retains everything that makes a SD show.

To All The Ghosts I've Loved Before.
    This was a great pilot. It sets everything up quite well and introduces Vincent Van Ghoul and Flim Flam.
    The plot of this episode could really have worked as a Ghostbusters episode with the way they had to track down the various ghosts and re-capture them as they were the ones who let them out.

Coast-to-Ghost.
    Probably my favourite episode of the series. The way in which Vincent is turning to stone and the gangs quest across the country to free Vincent from turning to stone.

Horror Scope Scoob.
    Maybe my second favourite episode of the series. I liked how the tribute to another horror icon Boris Karloff.

Over the course of this show I like how Daphne's outfit switches between the new jumpsuit and the more familiar dress. Technically Daphne was the first US cartoon character to popularise the jumpsuit look. April O'Neil copied Daphne's style.
    Much like Shaggy's outfit the new red Mystery Machine van was another thing they carried over to the animated feature Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School. Oddly enough it wasn't used in the previous feature SD Meets the Boo Brothers or in the feature after SDATGS, SD and the Reluctant Werewolf.

It is also worth noting that like A Pup Named Scooby Doo this show hired a lot of talented actors for the various roles per episodes instead of sticking to a smaller bunch of actors doing all the voices for the various roles. This really helped the characters stand out instead of a bunch of characters that all sounded the same.

A cool thing is this is only a small selection of the various Scooby Doo shows. There is plenty more really worth watching like other classic shows like The New Scooby Doo Show, Scoody Doo and Scrappy Doo, The Scooby Doo Mysteries. The more recent shows like What's New Scooby Doo, Shaggy and Scooby Get A Clue and the superb Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated. I would have loved to have covered Mystery Incorporated here but there is a lot of story arcs going on so it's best to watch the full series.

Next up to finish the Scooby Doo marathon is the wonderful animated feature movie Scooby Doo On Zombie Island.

3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

This is a really interesting take on Scooby Doo, because for once they have actual ghosts to catch, and it's not just some guy in a mask!

To All The Ghouls I've Loved Before
    This sets up the characters passably well. I've never been a big fan of the Scooby series, but this does a decent job, especially with Weerd and Bogel, who sound like classic Hanna Barbera characters. I think I read that one of their voice actors was in Top Cat, which would explain it. It's hard to believe even Shaggy & Scooby would be so stupid as to open the box, but then I suppose they didn't know what was really in it. Daphne's purple jumpsuit is definitely reminiscent of April O'Neill's yellow one, which hit our screens a couple of years later. As for Scrappy, I never had anything against him myself, I grew up knowing him as a regular character, I didn't know any better. Vincent Van Ghoul's look was very similar to that of Mandrake the Magician in "Defenders Of The Earth" which aired the following year - and which we covered this time last year in ROCKS 2A-2D (look it up!).

Coast To Ghost
    This is probably one of the best episodes to show what this series was about. And I think it's one of the ones I saw back in 2001, Vincent Van Ghoul turning to stone definitely rings a bell.

Horror Scope Scoob
    This is another one that I definitely saw in 2001. The joke about Vincent and Boris attending Terror Tech together was one I recognised - but initially expected in another episode:

VINCENT: We graduated in 36.
    SCRAPPY: 1936?
    VINCENT: No, just 36.

In a direct contrast with the previous episode on the list, this episode is probably the closest to the more traditional Scooby Doo format.

Agreed about the large cast of guest voices - it was around this time that shows were starting to do that. This show has one episode featuring Peter Cullen reprising his Venger voice from Dungeons & Dragons, and another featuring Bernard Erhard (Cryotek in Visionaries). Of course, in the 1990s shows really pushed the boat out with guest voices. A good example is The Legend Of Prince Valiant, which has specific guest actors credited in each episode, unlike most shows which just list every voice actor who appeared in the season. Obviously if you've got quite a big regular cast, then it's OK to have them doubling up on voices - Transformers and Visionaries spring to mind. Of course when your voice cast includes people of the calibre of Frank Welker or Jim Cummings, it's not a problem!

Mark M likes this.