ROCKS 12D: Scooby Doo On Zombie Island

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by LiamABC, Oct 29, 2017.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE FOURTH AND FINAL DISCUSSION IN THE TWELFTH STRAND OF "R.O.C.K.S." - REWATCHING OLD CLASSIC KIDS SHOWS!
    A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

This set of threads will focus on the various incarnations of Scooby Doo over the years. This week we're looking at a feature-length adventure:

Scooby Doo On Zombie Island

picked by Mark M.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full episode online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the show in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

What a brilliant feature length adventure for Scooby and the gang.
    It was great the way they reunited to track down ghosts.
    I really enjoyed the overall story of them going to Moon Scar Island and the various goings on on the island.
    The animation and background art work are absolutely beautiful.
    The voice casting is wonderful and they all played the parts great. Although it would have been nice for Casey Kasem to have voiced Shaggy again.
    I love this movie and can't recommend it highly enough.

I actually remember first seeing this movie by chance one morning over the summer holidays in 2000 when I was 15. I was such a Scooby fan growing up I had never heard of this before and sense it was just starting I decided to watch all of it and loved it.
    A couple months later I seen the equally great Scooby Doo and the Witches Ghost. It is also really worth watching. I still rank ZI and TWG as the two best Scooby feature releases.

3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

I have mixed feelings about this. For starters - the concept of them tackling actual ghosts, although well done, sort of feels wrong. As indeed I said with "The Thirteen Ghosts Of Scooby Doo". I suppose I've never been that big a fan of Scooby. Meh, it's OK, but it's never been an absolute favourite of mine, and I don't think it ever will be.

Nice tribute to Don Messick at the end. This was the first Scooby adventure without the original voice of Scooby, who had died the year before. In addition to voicing Scooby, Scrappy and all the rest of the Doo family, Don Messick provided the voice of a couple of other famous Hanna-Barbera dogs - Astro in "The Jetsons", and Muttley. He was also the voice of Ratchet in "Transformers".

It is indeed a shame that Casey Kasem wasn't there as Shaggy. It was to do with Kasem's being a vegetarian and there had been an issue with him refusing to provide the voice in an advert for a fast food chain, so I read. The guy voicing him here doesn't quite hit the right notes for me. Matthew Lillard, who subsequently took over the voice after playing him in the live action movies, is much closer to the mark.

The voice cast are indeed spot on. Some very familiar names, and indeed familiar voices. Jim Cummings as Jacques is basically doing the same voice he did for El Capitan in the pilot of DuckTales, and Cam Clarke as Beau just sounds like a more grown up version of Leonardo (and indeed Dogtanian and Rigodon).

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I liked that they occasionally did go after real ghosts and monsters as it gave a nice change of pace to the episodes instead of being like other shows and being really formulaic,/repetitive/predictable.