ROCKS 14B: Flintstones Season 1-2 picks

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by LiamABC, Jan 19, 2018.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE SECOND DISCUSSION IN THE FOURTEENTH STRAND OF "R.O.C.K.S." - REWATCHING OLD CLASSIC KIDS SHOWS!
    A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

We're going back to a really old classic for this set of discussions - and when I say old, I mean old in more ways than one, as we're covering The Flintstones.

The show ran for six seasons originally, so we're going to cover two seasons each week, and two episodes per season.

This week's picks are:

Season 1
    The Flintstone Flyer
    The Hot Piano

Season 2
    The Soft Touchables
    Trouble In Law

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full episode online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the show in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Great selection of episodes.
    The Flintstone Flyer is a classic and one I had on VHS. I really like the scene when Wilma and Betty return home to Fred and Barney and Barney messes up by still having his disguise on.
    The Hot Piano was very good and one I remember seeing on TV.
    I really enjoyed The Soft Touchables. I never imagined Fred and Barney as private eyes.
    Trouble In Law was also quite good but not as good as the other three episodes.

3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

I watched these the other day. I'm not certain how many of them I had seen previously. I know I'd seen the Flintstone Flyer but that's about it.

The format of the show is fairly basic, some domestic issue or quarrel starts the ball rolling. Fred trying to go bowling instead of to the opera, or get Wilma an anniversary present, that's the order of the day for the first season. The second season was a little different, although Trouble In Law, introducing Wilma's mother who would appear in a handful of episodes over the years, did have a nod to it. The Soft Touchables was another classic comedy device, the concept of which was a massive influence on Inspector Gadget as I recall.

Also in the first two seasons, the familiar theme song is absent, and that does detract slightly from the sense of anticipation at the beginning of the show.

Of course the main fun of the show is the prehistoric versions of modern technology. Most of them are explained by the use of various dinosaurs and birds etc, although I don't think how the TV, radio and phone worked back then was ever shown.