ROCKS 14D: Flintstones Season 5-6 picks

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by LiamABC, Mar 4, 2018.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE FOURTH DISCUSSION IN THE FOURTEENTH STRAND OF "R.O.C.K.S." - REWATCHING OLD CLASSIC KIDS SHOWS! A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.
    We're going back to a really old classic for this set of discussions - and when I say old, I mean old in more ways than one, as we're covering The Flintstones.

The show ran for six seasons originally, so we're going to cover two seasons each week, and two episodes per season.

This week's picks are:

Season 5
    Dr Sinister
    Bedrock Rodeo Roundup

Season 6
    Disorder In The Court
    The Great Gazoo

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full episode online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the show in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

A great selection of episodes.
    Dr Sinister a fun James Bond style story with Fred and Barney getting to be involved in a secret agent story. Obviously inspiration for the movie The Man Called Flintstone.
    Bedrock Rodeo Roundup was another very fun episode. I liked how Fred entered the competition to look like a hero again to Pebbles.
    Disorder in the Court was probably my favourite of the bunch. I really enjoyed them going off to the Cabin to hide out. It actually reminds me of some other comedy show episodes that were mage years later.
    The Great Gazoo was a nice episode. Although I don't really like the concept of the character in the Flintstones. I think he would have worked really well in another show. One of the first Flintstones episodes I ever seen was one with Gazoo in it.
    In fact I must say The Flintstones was quitter a trail blazing animated show as it first covered lots of themes and story plots lot of famous shows later covered.
    I have really enjoyed watching these episodes and will definitely watch some more of this show.

LiamABC likes this.
  3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

It wasn't only in the animation stakes that it was a trailblazer, a lot of modern sitcoms still cover the same ground as Fred and Wilma, especially in the marriage/parenting issues department. Fred and Barney probably had some element of influence on the Likely Lads, Only Fools And Horses, Men Behaving Badly, Not Going Out and countless more.

Dr Sinister was indeed a fun James Bond parody, "Jay Bondrock" - Sean Connery was at the height of his popularity as Bond, I think there had been about three or four films released by the time this episode came out. The fifth season did a lot of film/TV parody stuff, trying to expand on the established world they'd set up. Actually I think that's why they introduced the kids in seasons 3-4, to bring in more angles for stories.

Bedrock Rodeo Roundup illustrates that quite well actually - Fred is secure in the knowledge that he's Pebbles' hero, until the rodeo star arrives to steal her heart. It's your classic comedy device, the rival for the hero's affections, and it works well here, Fred going to painful lengths to prove himself.

Disorder In The Court is much more your traditional Flintstones episode, and one that would have fitted neatly into the earlier seasons, a very fun caper!

The Great Gazoo I included here more because it's a significant episode in terms of introducing the character Gazoo, who appeared a bit in the final season, and is representative of the show trying to stretch its boundaries too far. The old maxim of storytelling is "every storyteller is allowed just one unbelievable thing" - anything else unbelievable in it must be part of that initial unbelievable premise. The unbelievable thing the writers have for this show is prehistoric humans interacting with dinosaurs and using them to power their versions of modern tech. The alien Gazoo who comes along with his magic just doesn't fit into this universe. Arguably it might have been better suited to the Jetsons, the futuristic equivalent of this show.

All in all though, this was a classic series, and that one unbelievable thing that the writers had to make use of made for one of the most memorable shows ever written. While it's never been something I've listed among my absolute favourites of all time, I wouldn't want to live in a world without The Flintstones.