ROCKS 15B: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles season 2 picks

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by LiamABC, Apr 29, 2018.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE SECOND DISCUSSION IN THE FIFTEENTH STRAND OF "R.O.C.K.S." - REWATCHING OLD CLASSIC KIDS SHOWS! A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.
    We're going back to the 80s again now, with one of the biggest shows of the period - the 1987 cartoon of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. (And as I'm from the UK, I had to fight the instinct to type "Hero" instead of "Ninja"!)

This week, we're watching some key episodes from season 2:

- Return Of The Shredder
    - Enter The Fly
    - Splinter No More
    - Return Of The Technodrome

Also for the next few weeks we will also be covering the TMNT movies in Movie Club.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full episode online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the show in whatever manner you want.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Good selection of episodes from the second season.

Return of the Shredder.
    Very enjoyable episode but nothing remarkable in terms of the story.

Enter The Fly.
    Great episode that introduces Baxter Stockman as the fly. Baxter's mutation is a nice nod to the B-Movie horrors and the Vincent Price movie The Fly.
    I also have the story version of this episode in a TMNT Annual.
    I had this on VHS along with Attack of the Killer Pizzas.

Splinter No More.
    Always one of my favourites. This was always quite a standout as it lacked a lot of the comedy that is present in other episodes. The tone of the story is quite dark. It was also very interesting seeing Yoshi/Splinter try and blend in to society again as a human. It was nice seeing how he was thankful of his rat abilities as they aided in him finding the Turtles.
    Some people have joked that the Turtles didn't use their weapons very much. This episode and the others I have been watching have really proved that saying wrong as they definitely do you there weapons a lot. A lot more than what He-Man used his power sword.
    This was among the first several TMNT episodes I recorded off TV.

Return of the Technodrome.
    Another favourite of mine and one I had recoded on VHS along with The Car Lady of Channel 6..
    Great story with plenty of action.
    I especially liked the confrontation between Splinter and Shredder. It was very reminiscent of Darth Vader and Obi-Wan in Star Wars A New Hope.

LiamABC and Wilycub like this.
  3. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Return Of The Shredder
    I really like this episode. The outfit that the "Crooked Ninja Turtle Gang" wear remind me of a similar Turtle outfit that I had. :) The "Slash for Cash Dojo" and the way their master treats his students is very reminiscent of the Cobra Kai from "The Karate Kid". There's a fair amount of pretty funny stuff as well, like the Crooked Turtles giving their business card to their victims. Talk about going overboard with their "frame-the-Turtles" plan! LOL! Burne's girlfriend Tiffany was also a funny addition.

Enter The Fly
    Like Mark mentioned, this episode is a nice nod to the B-horror movies. It actually reminded me of "The Fly" starring Jeff Goldblum. One actually does feel sorry for Baxter at times. But he served as a more nastier and dangerous Mutant than Bebop and Rocksteady who by this time had been turned into pretty much dumb clowns. So that was a good addition to Shredder's gang. But I wasn't a big fan of the main plot involving the Turtles search for an antidote plant to save April and then (naturally) it falling into Shredder's hands who (predictably) invites the Turtles to a death match. This seemed a bit repetitive as he had already done that when he dared the Turtles to come and get the Retro-Mutagen Gun.

Splinter No More
    This was quite an interesting episode. I liked that the story went a bit deeper and focused on Splinter and his feelings. It was saddening to see Splinter yearn for his human life. But it ended up being a case of "the grass is always greener on the other side" and he eventually returns back to his life as a rat. Another unique thing about this episode is Shredder's use of black magic to open the portal. Almost all the TMNT episodes that I can remember don't involve magic or the supernatural. They have always been more grounded in science fiction than magic.

The funniest thing about this episode is when Shredder calls Krang on the intercom and the latter is shown wearing a towel around his waist, having just gotten out of the shower. This scene raises SO MANY questions!! Why does he take a bath with the robot? Why is the robot wearing a towel around its waist? And a shower cap as well! :roflmao

BTW, did the one-eyed alien monster remind anyone of the Octopoid from "The Tower of Traps"?

Return Of The Technodrome
    Another great episode and a fitting end to Season 2. Nothing specific to pin-point, just a lot of really exciting action sequences back to back. I agree with what Mark said, the fights inside the Technodrome felt very "Star Wars-y"

@Mark M You mentioned "Attack of the Killer Pizza" and "Cat Woman from Channel 6". I too owned both those episodes on VHS and enjoyed them very much! :)

LiamABC and Mark M like this.
  4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

@Wilycub ''Attack of the Killer Pizzas'' and '' The Cat Woman of Channel 6'' are also real classics.
    NECA recently released and exclusive alien in a yellow colour scheme as a nod/tribute to this episode.
    They were also featured in some of the TMNT video games.
    [​IMG]
    In the 1993 Mutations line Playmates released a transforming April O'Neil that changed into a mutated cat form, no doubt inspired by the episode.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Wilycub likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

@Wilycub you are correct about The Fly. Baxter is more reminiscent of the Jeff Goldblum movie than the Vincent Price version.

Wilycub likes this.
  6. Wilycub

Thanks for the info and the pics about those toys, Mark! Pretty cool. I remember really liking the design of the Pizza alien in the cartoon and was pleasantly surprised when it made an appearance in the Gameboy and SNES TMNT games! (both of which I owned at that time) :)

I gotta say they went a little too far with the cat head for the April figure. In the cartoon she didn't transform THAT much! :biggrin BTW, why are her arms so thick? Are they hiding a gimmick/feature?

Mark M likes this.
  7. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

My take on the episodes:

Return Of The Shredder - nothing remarkable, it's basically the establishing episode for season 2. It was the earliest episode of the show I saw as a kid - not the first, that was Return Of The Technodrome, but this was the first episode I saw when they started repeating them. I never saw season 1 as a kid, and only saw that for the first time in 2014, as I already said. I actually watched this episode right after season 1 that year, and found myself cringeing at the way the show had so quickly descended into slapstick and wisecracks. I actually couldn't bring myself to go any further. However, on seeing it again recently, I felt it wasn't quite so bad. Actually, the concept of trying to frame the turtles was a pretty good plan, the ninja wannabes going out of their way to identify themselves as the turtles . . . basically this is equivalent to "Spitting Image" in Thundercats, or "The Defense Never Rests" in Defenders Of The Earth. (PS - Wilycub - do have a watch of some more DotE!)

Enter The Fly - our last sighting of Baxter in human form, and the return of Rocksteady & Bebop to the main events. It's slightly odd the way it happened though, they could have come up with something less contrived, as the excuse about needing to balance things on either side of the portal doesn't quite hold up when you consider that it wasn't an issue in either Return Of The Shredder or (especially) Return Of The Technodrome! That said, the storyline was again pretty unremarkable. These 80s cartoons tended to use the same storylines and plot devices as each other a lot, and some did them better than others. Usually when a character falls ill the way April did, you have to go on some epic quest to take a life to save a life and then decide that this other life is not yours to take and get the cure a different way. Visionaries did this best in "Horn Of Unicorn, Claw Of Dragon", King Arthur And The Knights Of Justice did it in "To Save A Squire" (albeit they said right at the start that they couldn't kill the animal in question rather than waiting until the climax), and I forget the name of the He-Man episode that did the same thing. This at least made a refreshing change, in that the cure was just a simple plant, and the complication arose from Shredder & co stealing it from them after they had acquired it. When they're buying the gazai plant, we're thinking, "this is too easy" - it's perhaps surprising that Shredder didn't get to it first. Oh well, OK, nothing special.

Splinter No More - definitely the most interesting episode of the bunch, as it explores the characters' feelings regarding their mutated states. Splinter misses being Yoshi, and I guess it's understandable enough. But in the meantime, he's gotten so used to being a rat that he has forgotten how to think like a human. And of course, when the anti-mutagen wore off, his rat senses saved the day - again, it had to be that way, you have to appreciate the good in what you've got.

Return Of The Technodrome - the big season finale and a very important episode in the show's overall continuity, the clue for which is in the title! In some ways, it's surprising that this wasn't a 2-parter, you can just imagine the cliffhanger ending as the Technodrome appeared at the end of the first part, and every kid watching would have gone through hell and high water to be sure of seeing the second part! Yes, the instincts between Splinter & Shredder are very Star Wars-esque, as has been reported everywhere. There's a lot in this episode. Like I said, it was the first episode I saw originally, although oddly season 2 was shown slightly out of sequence over here, and so The Cat Woman From Channel 6 was shown after it rather than before it. Actually there was one line that I couldn't remember was in which of these two episodes, where Rocksteady wonders out loud what happened, and Leonardo answered, "WE happened, Rocksteady!" Also, this is probably the first time we get any sense of the scale of how big the Technodrome really is. I still think that size could have been conveyed to us better by the animators, but the sheer volume of power required to open a portal big enough for the Technodrome is clearly immense. The cliffhanger bit where Krang aims the cannon at the turtles and then discovers after the break that he's used too much power in opening the portal does work, although where all the foot- and rock-soldiers disappeared to in between times, enabling the turtles to escape, is a curiosity! In any event, it's a good episode.

Wilycub and Mark M like this.
  8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yes the arm thickness if for the transformation. The bicep opens and the alternating forearm can be spun around. I had the Mutating Shredder figure (not really mutating just transforming really) from Oroko Saki to Shredder. The arm opens and his gauntlets rotated out on top of his forearms.

I was actually thinking the same thing whilst re-watching this episode. I suppose it was just easier on the animators to not try and include all of them. I recall reading in Hear The Roar the animators hated the Thundercats scripts that described multiple/large numbers of mutants in the battle scenes.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Wilycub likes this.
  9. Wilycub

I just read an interview of Leonard Starr yesterday in which he mentioned that the only change that the Japanese animators asked for in the scripts sent to them was to remove the word "hordes". :biggrin

LiamABC and Mark M like this.