ROCKS 17D: The Legend Of Prince Valiant

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by LiamABC, Oct 6, 2018.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE FOURTH AND FINAL DISCUSSION IN THE SEVENTEENTH STRAND OF "R.O.C.K.S." - REWATCHING OLD CLASSIC KIDS SHOWS! A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

The next few weeks we're covering one of the best shows from the early 90s, The Legend Of Prince Valiant. This show had much stronger continuity threads than most, and so is difficult to distil down to the bare essentials. I've reduced it to a shortlist that still covers most of the first season. I promise you it'll be worth it.

This week we're covering the big finale from the first season:

- The Battle Of Greystone
    - The Reunion
    - The Choice
    - The Triumph
    - The Dream Come True

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full episode online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the show in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

What a great series and another fine selection of episodes.
    Of the first season every episode is really good with no really poor epiosdes.
    The writing quality of this series really was great.

Since these five episode are all linked story wise I will just say the arc is wonderful.

Spoiler Alert!

The first episode The Battle of Greystone is great seeing Valiant get the opportunity to lead the battle that will free his homeland.
    The Reunion wonderful emotional episode with Valiant reuniting with his mother and father. It was nice seeing Arn help his people but choose to stay and fight by Valiant and help him regain his homeland.
    I actually recall seeing this episode back when it was originally shown on TV.
    The Choice shows how much wisdom Valiant has gained when he must choose to continue the attack to free his homeland or return to Camelot.
    The Triumph is great seeing Cynan defeated and Valiant victorious. I think I seen this episode on TV.
    In the dream come True we see Valiant finally become a knight of the round table. Although I can't help but think this episode dragged on a little and the knighting seen just been included at the end of the previous episode rather than a full episode dedicated to it. I do recall seeing this one on TV, especially the scene with Owen ripping the emblem from his tunic.

I hope season 2 is as good as season 1.

I can't really praise this series enough. Highly recommended.

LiamABC likes this.
  3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

This is one of the best series out there, and still its message is relevant today. The continuity between the episodes is very strong, and made it difficult to trim down to the barest essentials for covering here. It was too good not to do, so I had to do more episodes per week than usual, but hey, it's worth it.

The first part of this 5-parter is basically just one isolated battle which spurs Valiant on with the notion of going all the way and reclaiming his homeland. When that happens at the end of the episode, we know we're on course for a big series finale.
    The second part, where we finally see his parents again, is a very important episode because both Valiant and Arn really think about what matters to them.
    The third part reinforces this when after Arn made his choice in the previous episode, Valiant must make his here.
    The fourth part is where it all comes together as the big exciting finale, with some great battle sequences and great voice acting.
    The fifth part does something very unusual. It actually devotes an entire episode to the aftermath of the battle, with the dust settling. It would have been easy to just cram it all into the end of the previous episode but devoting a whole episode to it gives the viewers and the characters more time to reflect. Sure, it's not a very exciting episode, but still there's a sense of building towards something, it's Valiant's happy ending and he's earned it. My particular favourite moment is how Gawain and Bryant's views on the pomp and ceremony of it all are so completely opposite. It's what makes them such a great team.

If you enjoyed season 1 then keep watching season 2. It's still great!