ROCKS 20C: GI Joe - The Pyramid Of Darkness

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by LiamABC, May 10, 2019.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE THIRD DISCUSSION IN THE TWENTIETH STRAND OF "R.O.C.K.S." - REWATCHING OLD CLASSIC KIDS SHOWS! A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

The next few weeks we're (finally!?) covering one of the biggest shows from the 80s, G. I. Joe

For this show, owing to the sheer number of characters involved, we're doing something slightly different to the usual format. Instead of the usual "establishing episodes/highlights/feature-length adventure", we're going to cover all the 5-part storylines, including the movie. This week we're dealing with the third 5-part adventure, "The Pyramid Of Darkness".

The individual parts are called
    - The Further Adventures Of GI Joe
    - Rendezvous In The City Of The Dead
    - Three Cubes To Darkness
    - Chaos In The Sea Of Lost Souls
    - Knotting Cobra's Coils

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full episode online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the show in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Another really good 5 parter to start the first season of G.I. Joe.

I especially liked this as Snake Eyes is featured a lot more. The scene with him and Shipwreck are very enjoyable.

Quite a few new characters and vehicles are introduced. I get Quick Kick is somewhat inspired by Bruce Lee but I was never too fond of him...never understood the sense of adding another Martial artist when they had Snake Eyes. Of course the movie would add Jinx...then the toyline would add the Ninja Force!

I really liked the introduction of Tomax and Xamot. I had the action figures of them and was really fascinated at having action figures of twins. Although I also had Miles and Maximillian Mayhem from M.A.S.K. I worked out away to tell who is who between Tomax and Xamot as Xamot has a scar on his face.

The plot of this is quite good as is the animation. The plot is somewhat more epic and better than the previous two 5 parters.

3. LiamABC

The third consecutive 5-parter to open up GI Joe . . . and it does draw from a similar well to the first two, but at least it has a few more differences to it. This time they're putting cubes into these different hostile locations rather than retrieving things from them. Also how come in these things it's always hostile locations, why do they never pick somewhere quiet and peaceful to carry out their operation?

Yet again, new characters are introduced, and on the heroes front . . . yes, it's reached the point where there are now too many characters. Dusty, Quick Kick, Alpine, Bazooka are all introduced, but none of them are that great. Although Dusty would have some good episodes later on in the series. Quick Kick seems a bit questionable especially with his civilian status being as he is a stuntman who just happens to turn up when he's needed. But why he turns up with practically nothing on in the arctic I'll never know. Also, Duke has been sidelined completely here, and Flint is definitely being branded as the numero uno now. Shipwreck and Snake Eyes' double act is fun though.

On the villains side however, the addition of the twins is a good one. We now have a good sized cast of named villains, enough to keep it more interesting without it just being recurring guest villains. Cobra Commander, Destro, Tomax & Xamot, the Baroness, Zartan and the Dreadnoks, Major Bludd, that's enough for everyone to get their turn in the spotlight. The twins do put an interesting public face on Cobra's activities. It's funny, when Xamot was named first, I wondered how it was spelt, but then when he called his brother Tomax, I knew straight away that the two names would be the reverse of each other's spellings. It's just how people's minds worked with the characters then.

Overall, I liked this, it was sufficiently different from the first two - although clearly still very similar - to be worth doing. But why they needed to keep introducing so many new characters is beyond me. They've reached the point where nobody is going to be able to reel off every single name off the top of their head. Hmm, sounds like a good subject for a round in Pointless!

shortfuse likes this.
  4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

@Liam yes the biggest weakness of G.I. Joe is that they really had far too many characters.
    At this point they pretty much had the full Village People line up. Soldier, biker, construction worker, policeman, sailor, Native American.
    If you thought there was too many characters in the cartoon just think of all the characters added in the 1990 series and those that didn't appear in the cartoons.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

shortfuse likes this.
  5. LiamABC

Bloody hell . . .

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Several years ago when I was still actively reading the G.I. Joe comics and collecting the action figures I could probably have named you over 98% of all characters. The tricky thing with these two images is that some characters appear in new outfits rather than what they wore in the cartoon and toys etc.

As far as I know G.I. Joe Extreme, Sigma Six, and Renegades kept than cast of characters rather small. Same with the early 2000's and Resolute animated movies.

Much like the cast of characters G.I. Joe also had a similar problem with the vast amount of vehicles.

7. LiamABC

Certainly I couldn't name any of the vehicles on either side.

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The majority of the vehicles from 82-86/97 were fine...but there was still a couple odd ones that were quite poorly designed odd ones that really you couldn't imagine being used on the battle field. The Pogo Ballistic Battle Ball comes to mind lol.