ROCKS 23B: Pirates Of Dark Water episodes 6-9

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by LiamABC, Aug 30, 2019.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE FIRST DISCUSSION IN THE TWENTY-THIRD STRAND OF "R.O.C.K.S." - REWATCHING OLD CLASSIC KIDS SHOWS! A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

The next few weeks we're covering one of my favourite shows from the 90s, The Pirates Of Dark Water.

This show ran for 21 episodes which is just small enough to cover in its entirety here.

Some sources list episode 1-5 as a season on its own, calling episodes 6-13 season 2 and episodes 14-21 season 3, others list season 1 as the whole of episodes 1-13 and call episodes 14-21 season 2, equivalent to the 2 or 4 seasons debate in Thundercats.

This week we're covering episodes 6-9:

- Andorrus
    - A Drop Of Darkness
    - The Beast And The Bell
    - Panacea

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full episode online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the show in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Another great batch of episodes.
    I really enjoyed all these episodes.
    Although I think A Drop of Darkness and The Beast and the Bell were my favourites. The former being my favourite of the two.
    ADOD really builds the characters, especially Primus' back story.
    TBATB was a great fantasy horror story.
    Some more great familiar voice actors like BJ Ward and Tim Curry.
    Really loving this series. I wish I had watched it more when it first aired on TV. This could have been among my favourites.
    I can really appreciate the designs and the fantasy pirate setting.

Strangely I always remembered the character Niddler's name because it was so similar to another bird like character, Needle, in the Conan The Adventurer cartoon which aired I think about a year or two after Pirates of Dark Water. That was a show I really liked. It was quite close to the He-Man portrayed in the minicomics. Coincidently Conan's toyline was also made by Hasbro and like a lot of shows the female character Jezmine was omitted from the toyline just like Tula in PODW.

3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

After the setup of the opening 5-parter, these episodes start to delve a bit deeper into the storyline and explore the origins of the dark water. (Incidentally did you notice that we didn't actually see any dark water at all until episode 3?)

Episode 6, Andorrus, introduces us to the subterranean angle that would feature again later on, and would doubtless have been featured in the series' finale if they'd got to complete the story. Of course it also served as a re-establishing episode. Some sources call it the first episode of the second season, others the sixth episode of the first. Certainly the fact that it introduces a new outfit for Tula and drops off the character Teron at the end who had been with them in the previous couple of episodes favours the idea of "season 2 opener" - but I saw the first 13 episodes together originally. It's also the last time that a Treasure of Rule is given a number until the end of the season. Decent enough episode. Co-written by Peter Lawrence incidentally!

A Drop Of Darkness establishes the fact that Leviathans' skin can resist the dark water's effects - a concept that is also further explored later on in the series. Between Cray in this episode (voiced by B. J. Ward), who is seen both old and young, and Tula's ageing sequence in the previous episode, it suggests that on Mer, people's skin gets lighter as they get older. The one verified exception to this appears to be Primus, whose skin is shown dark in both his older and younger days. So maybe it's just the women. If we'd ever seen a flashback of Ioz we might get some more information. This is a strange episode, but it does have a fascinating concept - the idea that something evil can be used for something good. In some ways it's a pity that Cray's experiment didn't work in the end. She was a strange character, but a fascinating one.

The Beast And The Bell makes the first reference to the Dark Dweller, who, despite Bloth's status as the series primary antagonist, would be shown later to be the most dangerous enemy, and again, would have featured much more prominently later on had the series been allowed to get to the end. Chyroptus sounds like Frank Welker reprising his Megatron voice if I'm not mistaken, and Kangent is unmistakeably Rene Auberjonois. Despite being the only one of these four episodes not to show them recovering a treasure, this is in some ways the most important because it sets up things that would come into play later on.

Panacea is one of those episodes that all cartoons have. It's a bit like the Thundercats 2011 episode The Forest Of Magi Orr for instance. The heroes fall in with someone in a strange place, take his word for things but then gradually realise that he'd a baddie. In this case it borrows from The Island Of Dr Moreau.

I said last time this is one of the best shows of the 90s, up there with Prince Valiant and Exosquad (which we've covered) and X-Men (which we haven't yet but will eventually).