ROCKS 23E: Pirates Of Dark Water episodes 18-21

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by LiamABC, Oct 19, 2019.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE FIFTH AND FINAL DISCUSSION IN THE TWENTY-THIRD STRAND OF "R.O.C.K.S." - REWATCHING OLD CLASSIC KIDS SHOWS! A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

The next few weeks we're covering one of my favourite shows from the 90s, The Pirates Of Dark Water.

This show ran for 21 episodes which is just small enough to cover in its entirety here.

Some sources list episode 1-5 as a season on its own, calling episodes 6-13 season 2 and episodes 14-21 season 3, others list season 1 as the whole of episodes 1-13 and call episodes 14-21 season 2, equivalent to the 2 or 4 seasons debate in Thundercats.

This week we're covering episodes 18-21, which from my perspective was the end of the second season, but from others the end of the third. They were the final episodes made in any event, and they are:

- The Pandawa Plague
    - Sister Of The Sword
    - The Soul Stealer
    - The Living Treasure

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full episode online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the show in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The Padawa Plague was a really good episode. The home of the monkey birds reminds me of the Ewok village.
    Sister pf the Sword was a good episode but a bit predictable, my least favourite of this bunch.
    The Soul Stealer again was a good episode. Maybe my second favourite episode of this bunch.
    The Living Treasure may have been my favourite episode of the bunch.

Unlike a lot of other cartoons I watched growing up, even though I do recall watching a few episodes of PODW, after watching the full series I can't recall any specific scene or a particular episode from back then. I think I might have scene the first episode but the only specific scenes I recall was Ren with his sword, the dark water and the Constrictus.
    There was some other shows like that; Masked Rider, VR Troopers, King Arthur And The Knights Of Justice, SWAT Kats, Avenger Penguins and a couple others.

3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

It's possible you just remembered the title sequence.

I watched these episodes again last week, and they were a good bunch. It's a pity they didn't get to finish the story - for which reason I suspect they kept "The Living Treasure" to last, just so they could end the show on a positive note for the viewers.

The Pandawa Plague was a good way to return to the home of the monkey birds, and I liked the twist in the middle.
    Sister Of The Sword was pretty cliched, but still good enough. I'd forgotten some details of it since last time I saw it, for some reason I was thinking they all got bound up by the spider and then Ioz managed to cut his way out of it and free them. I wonder what I'm getting mixed up with. Possibly something in another show with Snarf or another comic relief character? Not that Ioz is the comic relief here as such, that's Niddler, although Ioz's pirate leanings do provide comic moments.
    The Soul Stealer is an interesting take on a plot-line that has been used in a lot of cartoons through the years, Thundercats had The Shifter, TMNT had The Old Switcheroo, I even used it on a Visionaries story. It's such a familiar storyline that you have to have a markedly different take on it if you do it, and this managed just that, it threw in a few unexpected angles, and marked the only appearance in the show of Joat, the original owner of the Wraith. Apparently he was going to be a more regular presence (he had a toy made of him which is more than Tula or Morpho got). Considering that in this episode he captures all of our heroes (or so he thinks!) with ease, it's tricky to see how else they could have included him. Maybe an eventual alliance with Bloth? Probably.
    The Living Treasure was, I suspect, originally meant to be earlier in the run, probably 6 or 7 assuming this season had gotten a full run of 13 episodes, but when the show was cancelled the producers decided to delay it until the end just to end the show on a positive note - this is all speculation on my part, but it seems likely that if they'd had a full season, they'd have found another couple of treasures, they wouldn't have wanted them too close together. In any case, it's a familiar type of story, the tribe of warrior women. Tula has her moment in this episode, as an ecomancer she would naturally be the one to recognise what that creature is, and it is because of that creature that she gets into trouble, not from the usual cliché of not having it in her to kill her friends - she arranges a trick to cover that with Niddler, who was carefully kept away from the action at the start just so that the warrior women wouldn't see him and know him to be working with Ren & co. Kudos for that. And how the Eighth Treasure of Rule became sentient, we may never know, but it might have been explored later on had we found out what happened to the other five.

All in all, a great series, and one that I wish had got to complete its run.