ROCKS 24B: X-Men episodes 5-8

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by LiamABC, Nov 14, 2019.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE FIRST DISCUSSION IN THE TWENTY-FOURTH STRAND OF "R.O.C.K.S." - REWATCHING OLD CLASSIC KIDS SHOWS! A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

The next few weeks we're covering another of my favourite shows from the 90s, X-Men.

As with a lot of 90s cartoons, the continuity was much stronger, so we're covering the whole of the first season. This week we're covering episodes 5-8:

- Captive Hearts
    - Cold Vengeance
    - Slave Island
    - The Unstoppable Juggernaut

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full episode online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the show in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Captive Hearts.
    I always loved this episode. Hade it on VHS. My favourite part was Storms fight with the Morlocks leader with the lightsabre style swords.
    Storm was one of my favourite characters.

Cold Vengence.
    I loved this episode. Had it on VHS and used to watch it a lot. The fight between Wolverine and Sabretoot were awesome.
    I recal in the mid 90's losing the tape it was recorded on. I still had the tape but I didn't label which it was on and when you have around 800 VHS tapes it's not easy too find. Found it agaain several years later. If I reca;; correctly it was on a tape with either The Goonies or Power Rangers and King Arthur and the Knights of Justice.

Slave Island.
    Another episode I recorded. Really good episode and it was interesting seeing how the mutants were being kept as slaves. Very cool scenes with Gambit, Jubilee and Storm.

The Unstoppable Juggernaut
    Another great episode in the series. Really like the introduction of Juggernaut and Colossus. Always thought they both had cool looks and enjoyed playing as Colossus in the X-Men video game...although I prefered using Wolverine and Nightcrawler as they were faster and Cyclops had more fire power.

3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Another good set of episodes.

- Captive Hearts promises much in its introduction of the Morlocks, but sadly they hardly ever appeared again. Once or twice perhaps, and in one of those episodes Calisto quite rightly had issues with Storm for forgetting about them. Wolverine has an interesting moment where he actually looks to be considering killing Cyclops - the fact that one of the heroes would even consider doing this to one of his comrades is quite a jaw-dropping moment for a kids' cartoon. Of course he doesn't go through with it, albeit more for his own reasons than conventional morality.

- Cold Vengeance does follow on from Wolverine's unrequited love issues, in that it's the reason he takes leave of them. The rivalry with Sabretooth is well done here - it had been set up nicely in episodes 3-4, but it's explored more fully here. Meantime Genosha is introduced, with a very obviously baited trap in story terms. Of course, Gambit doesn't help when he effectively admits to the hotel clerk that they are mutants.

- Slave Island absolutely follows on from this as Storm, Gambit and Jubilee are captured. The one problem I have with this episode is that Cable, though moody as ever, doesn't seem to be his normal self, and while it's explained what he was doing there, it's not explained how he came to be in that position relative to his normal role in the show, being that he's a time traveller from 2000 years in the future. He's usually after Apocalypse, so how he fell in with the ruler of Genosha isn't really explained. That aside it's a good episode. When Gambit is revealed as having betrayed them, that's his first big moment in the series, and as such we can't be certain what his agenda is.

- The Unstoppable Juggernaut does a good job of introducing both the Professor's step-brother and Colossus. I'm not convinced that Juggernaut's powers are as well defined here as they could be. The name Juggernaut has a very precise implication, which was actually better put across in the third film of the original trilogy, The Last Stand. For all the things wrong with that film, it gets Juggernaut's abilities more correct, and he has the power you'd expect him to have with that name, namely that when running he's an unstoppable force. In the series he just walks around smashing things up. Colossus meanwhile serves to remind the audience of the prejudice some people face just for accidents of birth, while simultaneously being one of the kindest X-Men ever. Also I like how Wolverine sniffs him and confirms his story. "He ain't what I smelled at the mansion."