ROCKS 24C: X-Men episodes 9-13

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by LiamABC, Dec 1, 2019.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

WELCOME EVERYBODY TO THE THIRD AND FINAL DISCUSSION IN THE TWENTY-FOURTH STRAND OF "R.O.C.K.S." - REWATCHING OLD CLASSIC KIDS SHOWS! A big thanks to everyone that are joining us through all of this.

The next few weeks we're covering another of my favourite shows from the 90s, X-Men.

As with a lot of 90s cartoons, the continuity was much stronger, so we're covering the whole of the first season. This week we're covering episodes 9-13:

- The Cure
    - Come The Apocalypse
    - Days Of Future Past (parts 1&2)
    - The Final Decision

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.
    Also, please do not post where or how to find the full episode online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the show in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The Cure
    Come The Apocalypse
    Since thse to are quite connected I will just give my opinion on both.
    Really good story and always liked these episodes.
    I remeber watching them one morning before going to school when I was in high school around 2000.
    Muir Island is a great setting.Also a very good introduction for Apocalypse and Angel/Archangel.
    Always like Archangel. He had a pretty awesome design and I had the Toybiz action figure.

Days Of Fututre Past 1 + 2.
    Pretty good episodes. Although I still dislike time travel stories this is one of the slight better les tedious ones.
    Bishop is a great character with a cool design.
    Ironically I still think this two parter is far superior to the awful movie from a few years ago.
    Unrelated but pretty much all the X-Men movies are awful.

The Final Decision
    A really good season finalle. Although a two part might have nade a better finish to the season.
    It was cool the X-Men teamed up with Magneto. Magneto is one of Marvel's more interesting characters as he isn't exactly a villain...at least in his opinion.

This was a great series and it was very cool to cover the first season. I will really have to watch more of the series.
    X-Men Evolution was also a good series.

I heard a rumour that Disney are planning a new X-Men cartoon that will be a continuation of the 90's series.
    Disney are really going to make money from the Fox buy out.
    At least Disney can hopefully make a really good X-Men movie.

3. LiamABC

The first season rounds off very nicely, building to a good climax and setting things up for future season.

The Cure is a very important episode, as Rogue's power is one that she's not comfortable with, it's only natural that she'd be interested at the prospect of getting rid of it. Much as I hate the third film in the original trilogy, The Last Stand, it got this detail spot on. This episode however had a rather different angle on it, the "cure" being as it was a trick to create Apocalypse's four horsemen.

Come The Apocalypse followed right on from that, properly introducing the Apocalypse character. I've never been a fan of his design in the cartoon, and I think I preferred him in the film. Still, he was a sufficiently powerful villain here - in some ways the biggest villain the show had. However much people like to push Magneto as the arch enemy of the X-Men, that was never how it really worked. Apocalypse is basically this show's answer to Mumm-Ra. His voice, incidentally, is provided by the late John Colicos, best known as Kor, the very first Klingon to appear in the original Star Trek.

Days Of Future Past is a good two-parter. It's set up as the beginning of the end of the season really, as the final episode is more a follow-on from it, but I digress. There are two basic types of time travel story, the objective is either to avert history being changed, as in Back To The Future, or to change a bad timeline for something better, as here. Star Trek did both types very well multiple times, and the what-if's that spring out of these stories are infinite. But again I digress. The interesting thing about this episode is that when Bishop gets back to his own time, the bad future hasn't changed, which again sets things up nicely for "future future episodes". When they started incorporating both Bishop and Cable together coming back from their own different future times for different purposes, that's when the show got really interesting. This episode is a close match in theme for the film (which was awesome, and not just because it erased Last Stand from the timeline!), and the original storyline from the comics. The idea that the X-Men have to wonder if one of their own is a killer is a good one, and very mature writing. Not surprising when a lot of this show was written by the same writers as Exosquad. The revelation at the end was also very well handled, and explains Mystique's earlier attitude towards Rogue in The Cure, convincing her not to take it.

The Final Decision is a single episode for a reason. Big though it is, it's evocative of the whole "when the dust settles after one big incident, there's usually some details that need clearing up still" - and this is one such. Senator Kelly (voiced by the late Len Carlson, who did everything from Bert Raccoon to Herc Stormsailer to Big Boss, Mace and Sundown in COPS) has his moment of realising that it's not being a mutant that makes someone bad. This episode does go all the way back to the pilot for tying up loose ends. The Sentinels have been a recurring menace in this first season, and Cyclops' decision not to leave anyone behind as well comes full circle. The end of the episode also sets things up nicely for season 2, in which Mr Sinister plays a big part, along with his gang.

A great show. One of the best the 90s had to offer. We've now covered all four of the best shows from the 90s - Prince Valiant, Pirates Of Dark Water, Exosquad and X-Men.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I would put Batman The Animated Series and Transformers Beast Wars among the best 90's shows.

5. LiamABC

Well you should definitely carry on with the show and watch season 2 at the very least. Seasons 3 and 4 are pretty good too although the continuity is looser. Season 5 was kind of unnecessary after the big finale that season 4 ended on.

Season 2 also explains where Rogue's super strength and flying abilities came from - they weren't the power she was born with, she acquired them from prolonged contact with someone else, and that's why she doesn't have them in the films.