Savage World: ThunderCats

Discussion in 'Funko ThunderCats' started by Sebastiaan, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Cobrala

Cobrala New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Panthro and Mumm-Ra after I performed major surgery to replace the balljoints with DC Primal Age wave 2 figures.

Daremonger likes this.
  2. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

Dang, that's amazing COBRALA!!

I was interested in the Funko figures, but after hearing about all the QC problems, I just ruled them out. I see that you were able to overcome that. Brilliant idea!
    ----------------
    :panthro

3. Cobrala

Cobrala New Member

It's really trivial once you get the hang of it.

Preheat water in microwave for 3:30.
    Put figure in very hot water. Let it sit.
    Remove legs. Easiest to do on a figure that's never been broken.
    Make sure it’s still warm.
    Remove arms.
    Pry off rubber armor. Note: Superman and some others have their armor sculpted into the torso. This is for armor that blocks the side seams. Ripping is okay because you can glue back but if you have much resistance, heat to soften the glue.
    Gently pry open torso with a small tool such as a flathead screwdriver. This may take patience. Always better to focus somewhere not visible such as under armor. If you have an eyeglass repair kit, there's a wedge under the arm a flathead screwdriver can go into. You may scuff things up or need to pry around a few places. Stick to places covered by the arm or head.
    Pop open torso. It utimately doesn't matter if some pegs pop off in sockets because they'll fit back together with glue.
    Pry off belt.
    Pry open crotch. This may take patience.
    Wiggle off leg connector.
    Heat legs. Attach to new leg connector.
    Wiggle on new leg connector.
    Apply very small amounts of a glue that dries clear to ports.
    Reconnect crotch.
    Reconnect belt.
    Secure torso pieces together around port.
    Apply very small amounts of a glue that dries clear to armor.
    Heat arms. Place back on.

It generally takes a $7-8 Primal Age figure (stick to wave 2 figs or Street Fighter males; no way to know whether wave 1 are fixed versions), about 5 dabs of of superglue, and 15 minutes, which you'll need to do twice to get the donor socket and the recipient figure finished. (Granted, no need to reassemble the donor figure if you even can.)

I also copied the balljoint connector measurements and offer a metal version on Shapeways.

$16.50 gets you made to order steel balljoints if you don't want to just go get an $8 figure on eBay to dissect to donate a plastic joint.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/N...3xF8wmhPR4Rj8Yae3eiZVApTClUHKfXab_UYyvxtxLV8s

4. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Very well done here, my friend. Makes me wish Funko had this kind of movement with their Savage World ThunderCats figures.

5. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

By the Gods of Third Earth!! :eek: There is no way I'm talented enough to pull all that off, but thank you very much for the recipe.

I guess I'll just hold out hope that S7 eventually does some Retro style figures.
    -------------------
    :liono

6. Cobrala

Cobrala New Member

Well, the good news is, wave 2 from Funko shouldn’t need this.

I only did Mumm-Ra and Panthro.

Have there been any reported Lion-O or Slythe leg issues? I’m half-tempted to go ahead and do them too but they don’t feel too bad on my copies.

7. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

I saw a YouTube review of one of the Wave 1 figures, I can't remember which one, but the leg broke DURING the review!
    ------------------
    :mummra

8. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yeah I seen a similar video of the Savage World DC Primal Age Wonder Woman and her leg also broke in the review.
    Maybe the plastic needs heated to soften it before turning...or perhaps it's just a very brittle plastic used for the ball joints.
    I hear the second wave f Primal Age figures have fixed the ball joints.

10. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

I read someplace that the factory that made the figures used a really cheap plastic on the ball joints, but they did so without FUNKO's knowledge.
    ------------------

Mark M likes this.
  11. Cobrala

Cobrala New Member

It's mainly that everything released from around October through around December 2018 was defective because the factory used a soft plastic for the ball joint connector. Some of it is better than others but the core problem is that factory "gangmolded" the ball connector with other parts of the figures when the ball connector is supposed to be a different plastic used nowhere else on the figure that is harder than he plastic used in the legs or elsewhere.

DC got a second corrected run in 2019. Wave 2 of Primal Age and Street Fighter were all fixed. No Thundercats fixes were released because sales didn't justify a second run. From what I gather, a recall would have tanked their action figure program financially which is why they just kind of gritted their teeth and dodged complaints. It was essentially 100% of all Thundercats and all DC Primal Age Wave 1 from Amazon that shared a defect. But because the ball connector was gang molded, some figures lucked out and had marginally better plastic than others used. Panthros' leg connector was, I think, made using is flexible nunchuck plastic, which rips if you apply force to it. I think Mumm-Ra's was made from his cape/skirt. Primal Age Scarecrow used a more ABS style plastic that was used in his shield which was mostly fine. I haven't seen Lion-O or Slythe's legs break but basically Funko wound up with millions of figures coming in using off-spec plastic for the balljoint connector. Literally too big to recall. And since not 100% of them broke, they hunkered down, gritted their teeth, and focused on making sure the next production run was built right, starting with Target's re-released of Primal Age wave 1.

DC Primal Age WW is FINE is she didn't come from Amazon in 2018. It gets a little trickier as time goes on based on scam returns and such but as long as you could know a DC figure at no point came from Amazon, you'd know it was safe. All Thundercats wave 1 are technically defective. But Panthro is the worst. Followed by Mumm-Ra. Slythe's tail can break off but I haven't seen leg issues. Lion-O's legs will fall off but I haven't seen them break.

Mark M likes this.
  12. Cobrala

Cobrala New Member

Worth noting that the 2019 releases used a new factory and a sturdier leg connector than the original pre-Thundercats specs.
    So in a nutshell:
    Zorn used a balljoint. But had trouble with legs and arms coming off.
    Funko tweaked the balljoint (which used a sturdier plastic) and the arm designs in Mortal Kombat and Savage World Horror.
    They got the designs mostly right in Thundercats and DC Wave 1.
    But they had three problems.
    1. If the factory worker didn't apply enough force to fully secure an arm on, it would pop off in the package.
    2. They put friction spikes on the leg balljoints to make them tight but the amount of friction could cause them to pop off if not adequately secured on.
    The first two create assembly errors but can be fixed out of package.
    3. The factory went off spec on leg ball joints, which were supposed to be made of a sturdier plastic.

All 3 problems were fixed with Primal age w 1 Target release (mostly) although I THINK they kept the friction spikes and made sure assembly was done better. This would create figures so tight you can hear them squeak. But VERY hard to disassemble. And very sturdy. The new leg connector here is industrial strength, stronger than all prior leg joints. In fact, all of the plastic changed and the colors are all slightly different than the Amazon releases. I took pics at the time. You'd only notice side by side.

With all Black Batman (Target Exclusive) and wave 2 (Superman, Luthor, Bizarro, Flash, Black Manta), they did away with the friction spikes. Now we're back to legs that CAN be popped off with enough force but nothing breaks if you do because the leg connector is still super hard.

I believe Street Fighter continued this.

Mark M likes this.
  13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It's a shame wave 1 has such problems. I can't imagine many people wanting wave 2 with the wave 1 figures defective and hoping Funko reissue wave 1 with fixes. After wave 2 I think that will sadly finish the Savage World figures.
    But it would be great if they could do a couple more waves. Bengali, Lynxo, Pumyra, Jaga, Grune, Rataro, Vultureman, Mongor etc.
    Maybe even a Kit, Kat, Snarf, Snarfer ans Ma-Mutt as pack in accessories.

It a real shame though about those Savage World Conan figures, those would have been awesome.

14. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

Agreed. I was really hoping that a Conan The Destroyer would turn up. I sort of got my wish, but now he's $45. :( :confused:
    ------------------

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yep and being made by Super 7. Limited release, having to order months in advane, usually delays, quality control issues, poor customer service...
    Hopefully they can sort things out as the prototype looked really nice.

Sword Breaker likes this.
  16. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

And on top of that, I cannot justify the $45 price tag on Arnie. Sure, he has 2 swords....but that's it. No second head? No extra hands or other accessories?? WTF!!?? :mad

Heck....just give me Arnie loose without the box and a single sword for 30 bucks!!
    -----------------

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

What I find really odd is Super 7 like Funko have no problem putting retro style niche figures out to mass retail yet a far more popular modern style toy like Classics and Ultimates are being kept away from general buying public.
    Conan, Thundercats, MOTU and TMNT wouldall sell a lot better at retail than novelty retro/vintage style toys.
    If those were all available at mass retail for $20-30 I would buy them all.

18. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

You make an incredibly good point. :thumbsup

I agree totally. I understand the business model ( sort of ), but this thing of small production runs and charging higher prices really stinks.
    -----------------

19. Cobrala

Cobrala New Member

I think licensing plays a role in that.
    They probably have noncompetes with Playmates, Mattel, etc. and not exactly a “full license”.
    The retro style stuff is under a license similar to Funko Pops or Loyal Subjects and they get the license to retail that because it doesn’t compete.
    I bet Mattel still has the retail license for 7 inch TCats. They don’t produce them because they have a hard enough time getting shelf space for their good selling figures. Walmart seems content with empty shelves or restricting shelf space to reliable sellers so they can devote more space to cheap products that may have a slower turn.
    And I bet Super7 (and to some extent NECA and Funko) don’t pursue retail licenses because of limited shelf space they’d have to compete for AND because it would be expensive.
    My hunch with Super7 is that they probably seldom even get master licenses but license figures individually and pay only upon preorder. I doubt they ever plunk down tens of millions upfront for a master license, which means you don’t have overstock or reorders for retailers.

20. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

Good points all, COBRALA.
    -----------------
    :liono