Season 2 revealed at Powercon

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by balgus82, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I find Dan saying he loved Thundercats and fought for it to come back etc hard to believe. If he truly had any care or love for the OS he would not have destroyed the mythos and characters it created.
    He admits to making some mistakes, LOL, the whole series was a mistake.
    If Dan truly believes that ''.....nobody could have done it better'' he is more deluded and arrogant than I thought. The NS was such a massive failure and let down in so many ways I doubt anyone else could have done a worse job.

2. hammy0924

hammy0924 Ultimate No-Life

Well, it's not (hopefully) not going to be from Bandai.

3. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

I truly believe that Dan was right as far as his comments go, compared to other ideas like the rock band idea..his team was the best to do a different version of ThunderCats!

But ultimately that's not what we true fans what to see...we wanted Dan and whoever to add to the story we grew to love from the 80's but with more creative back stories for characters.

Take the new TMNT series for example, that added elements from the comic, 80's series, and 2003 series while adding their own flavor to the Nick series. Also let's not forget they had executives and creator backing up the idea (that always helps) :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  4. hammy0924

hammy0924 Ultimate No-Life

I don't mean to start anything and I hate to be that guy, but this statement was so opinionated that I can't take it seriously at all.

5. Dragon78

Dragon78 Barbarian

I actually agree with Hammy on this one.

6. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Berserker

What nobody got is that ThunderCats needed a remake, not a reboot. Rebooting a series that was left in limbo for almost three decades is a huge risk of negative or cold reception.

When doing a remake by bringing back the original idea with the help of modern technological methods (cutting edge high definition animation and orchestrated versions of the original cues) while maintaining and expanding the original story, success is guaranteed.

In a few words, don't mess too much with a classic unless it has been constantly updated. Work in it and improve it instead.

Oh, and don't hire a toy company that produces toys from brittle plastic and misses out on crucial figures (while attempting to produce cameo characters). And find a proper time slot on TV. Just saying.

7. Tygrastripes

Tygrastripes Barbarian

Please don't make blanket statements like this, I've watched the Thundercats OS since I was 3 religiously and I LOVED most of the NS ideas and I would have been quite bored to see the same characters done the same ways with different backstories as you suggested. Whether people liked the new ideas or not for the NS is not inclusive or exclusive as to whether they are true fans or not (I know tons of old school fans who both loved the ideas and some that hated them), simply means everyone has their own opinion on it.

What a lot of people tend to forget is there isn't a point of a reboot if you are just going to rehash the same ideas for the characters, fortune tends to favor the bold and I applaud Dan's team for having the guts to go there, even if I wasn't crazy about a few things. Still as Dan mentions we are forgetting context, context and more context, that lead up that prepares us for a drastic decision, I've spoken to Dan and it definitely sounds a lot better coming from him, mostly because its presented as an huge buildup to a long story arc (he is a great storyteller) rather than a list of ideas.

xluckinekostylex likes this.
  8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Hammy neither you or anybody else on here has take anything I say seriously, but after reading the crap Dan Norton replied with that's my opinion and I will stand by it.

I will agree with you though that I hope none of the future Thundercats products come from Bandai.

9. HeMan

HeMan Glass Walker

I truly believed he loved the thundercats franchise and probably contributed as much as he could with what authority he had. I'm pretty sure if he was put in charge for most of the creative process regarding this series, we probably would've got a NS thundercats that feels like the OS.

10. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

You missed my point completely, that's why I mention the new TMNT series as a reference. Take the old mythology and add ideas from 2011 series like the petlars in episode 4...to create the ultimate Tcats series

Also add the Dogs of Wars in the series...I hope you understand me better now my friend :)

11. PKELL

PKELL Barbarian

Why would I want a remake of the OS when I already have the OS? Why go to the trouble of making a new show EXACTLY like the OS when it would be more cost effective to show re-runs of the original?

I've watched the OS my whole life. I love it. It is a childhood gem that sparked my own creativity and captured my imagination. To take those classic characters, update them & their situations, and give their stories more of an edge? Yeah, that's what I'd like to see. I'm not saying I loved every single aspect of the NS or that every episode was perfect, but I certainly respect a different approach. That shows more creativity to me than simply just rehashing what we already saw in the 80s step for step.

I mean look at Ninja Turtles. They've had three animated series to date and all three shows are very different from each other. I like this! Each show has its own identity and style, while also for the most part staying true to the original concept and characters.

12. Tygrastripes

Tygrastripes Barbarian

I don't think I missed your point at all I just HATE blanket statements of 'true fans want this', its opinion purely. True fans opinions differ as much as you and I. I didn't want the old mythology I wanted nearly everything different 20+ years of the same thing is enough to make me want something very fresh, doesn't make me wrong or right nor you, nor is there any promise that this formula you propose would have created the ultimate series. Its again all opinion, we have no idea how these changes would have been received.

13. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

I agree 100%!

Not trying to create conflict but I don't think nobody on this forum said they wanted a remake of the NS just EXACTLY like the 80's version! Now to add on to what the OS offered with different elements is what I mentioned

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  14. Rizefall

Rizefall Swedish Meatball

It's all out of context, what you read was just a little bit of the whole cake, a better understanding will come in the podcast.

That's my summarize.

15. MarianaTCdreams

MarianaTCdreams Barbarian

Hmm...I wonder what the context is.

16. Lord Slithor

Lord Slithor Mutant

I could imagine someone of continuing the story in a series of novels, like the Jack McKinney Robotech novels that covered the storyline of the aborted Robotech II: The Sentinels TV show. Of course, a comic book series would be preferable.

However, with Warners owning TCats, they'd have to be the ones to ultimately sign-off on such a thing. And with Dan and the others no longer working at WB, I'm not optimistic we'll ever see such a thing. And something tells me they won't be ready to greenlight any other new TCats projects for a while. Especially not if it took a decade to get this show off the ground.

Is the podcast up yet BTW? I'd love to hear more of what he had planned.

17. Ebonfire

Ebonfire New Member

I want to thank the fans her for the info. I can't say I liked what I saw but .. nothing new form the NS. I mean by the end of this convoluted mess that was the NS the following would be true:

• Lion-O is s king with no queen (Having children is a BIG thing for kingdoms)
    • Tigera killed one girl that lion-O loved and 'took' the other (Thanks bro!)
    • The T-Cats as a species are guilty of genocide/war crimes (thanks Lynx-O for killing all the lizard ladies and kids)
    • MonRa is the Thundercat's god/creator via Snarf (I thought Pumara being with him was bad enough)

Look, I loved the OS. I saw the comics and collected them till they raped Cheetara then I stopped. Now this show came along. It was great the first half of the first "Book" but by the time they got to the end of that book, I knew they were heading for a big fail. They did not know what they had done right and wrong. They had lost me.. but I kept watching. I could not get any of my family or friends to watch. They bailed and I was not rewarded. The info here just make me happy that they did not keep going. They wanted to be dark; but to be honest, dark is NOT good. Good is good. I have always wanted the Thundercats to come back but not this poorly plotted. They broke so many writing rules and even audience expectations that they lost ratings. Then they blamed it on toy sales and airing times. The problem was them!

If it comes back I would watch it because I love Thundercats and I want them to redeem themselves and the franchise that they harmed with such lovely ideas as they did with Cheetara's actions. Even so, seeing that others still love the Thundercats helps me keep the smoldering embers of my fandom alive.

18. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

If only Michael Jelenic had relied more on the OS for inspiration.

19. Rizefall

Rizefall Swedish Meatball

1. He would probably get one in the end but it could have been something they did not want to focus on. Like i said when i was part of the fan comic that was supposed to be made we all in the end agreed on that he should not get a wife/queen and children when he is at war. That only makes it so they can "get to" Lion-O, and i'm pretty sure he is busy enough to not have time with it anyway until they beat MUMM-RA.

2. TYGRA would have killed Pumyra cause she was evil, is that bad in your opinion? Nah, lets just let her kill Lion-O instead or something worse.

3. What's wrong with this? Would not be the first time something like this happens and it it's actually quite accurate of how our own world works sometimes.

4. MUMM-RA.. Ye ok sorry i got nothing for this one.

Have a nice day!

20. Dragon78

Dragon78 Barbarian

Did Dan Norton ever say when he was doing that podcast to tell us more about season 2?