Secret Wars - Toys

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by Gerrit, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I need a good Shazam to display with my Marvel Legends figures. The Mattel DC Universe Classics seems to be the best option. I used to have it but since they were not sold here in the UK I had to buy one from EBay and when it arrived both legs were extremely warped and couldn't be fixed. I would hate to buy another and it be the same. I also owned the Public Enemies Ed McGuiness Shazam, but with it being styled to look like the comic art it didn't loo right with the other figures and was not very posable. I had another really nice DC Direct Shazam I wish I had kept as it was beautifully sculpted and looked like the old Filmation cartoon...but again not really poable.
    I really hope they make a Shazam in the new DC Icons series.

2. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

Why the facination with Shazam?

Mark M likes this.
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

First Superhero cartoon I seen.

BTW have you read the Secret Wars comic?

4. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

:frown No ... But I really would like to!

Mark M likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

You should, it's worth reading. Wouldn't say it's the best comic I have ever read but it is enjoyable. Also as you can tell from the toys it introduces Spider-Man's black costume.
    It's a shame the toyline didn't get more figure made. If they had made the 30+ characters from the comic I think the line could easily have rivalled, maybe even surpassed, Super Powers.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Gerrit likes this.
  6. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

I will look into it for sure, have you read the new one? Is it any good?

Mark M likes this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

No I have just read the original. But I got my Secret Wars toys when I was about 3 years old in 87. I didn't read the Secret Wars graphic novel until 2013.
    There was a sequel to it in the 80's or 90's but I have not read it. I have not read any of the current Secret Wars comics.
    To be honest I wasn't the biggest collector of super hero comics growing up. I Got the occasional Spider-Man, X-Men and Batman and that was about it with the odd issue of other comics like Captain America, Superman etc. I was always more into comics of cartoon shows like Transformers, G.I. Joe, TMNT, Thundercats, Ghostbusters and He-Man.
    Several years ago when sorting out my collection I donated a lot comics to a local primary school but sadly the bag with the Marvel and DC comics in it accidentaly got mixed up with them and given away. I am still annoyed about that as I had the Jim Lee and Chris Claremont X-Men #1.
    At least I have my Thundercats, TMNT, He-Man, Transformers, Ghostbusters and G.I. Joe comics.
    I mostly just buy the occasional graphic novels that has some of the stories/issues I used to have. :D

8. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

I found the original in digital format, will read it and comment then ... I never could collect comics as a kid, we very seldom got any comics in our shops where I grew up, so I only got into reading them in the 2000's ... I am also more of a toy collector than a comic collector, but I love comics, especially vintage comics.

Mark M likes this.
  9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Same. I still have issue #1 of the UK Turtles comic. I mostly got cheap UK comics like Transformers, Thundercats etc as there was a newsagents very close to my primary school were we would sometimes go after school so I usually ended up getting a comic bought to me every week. :)
    Let me know what you think of Secret Wars.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I bought the DC Universe Classics Shazam figure again. I hope this ones legs are not warped.

11. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

Cool, please post pics!

Mark M likes this.
  12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Will do but it will probably take a couple weeks to get here.

13. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

Did you get your Shazam ?

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yes. I forgot to post pics of it LOL. It's a pretty nice figure. Thankfully no QC problems like the last one.