Should Pumyra be given another chance or not?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by srebak, May 17, 2013.

1. HeMan

HeMan Glass Walker

^^This. I'm glad somebody else mentioned this. Pumyra is Dead and her spirit is controlled, so therefore her actions towards the Cats is justified.

2. 19Tabularasa94

19Tabularasa94 Thunderian Legend

Here's my pitch: Pumyra SHOULD be redeemed, controlled or not. I'd say Mumm-Ra brainwashed her all the way. Maybe that thought of revenge she had before she died was not revenge at all, just plain anguish twisted by Mumm-Ra in order to get himself what he wanted. I'd say that if Pumyra did get redeemed at all, she has be done so, in a way that only Mumm-Rana and the cats know and the enemies, including Mumm-Ra, dont. Also, the only way Lion-O might make her atone is to make her the mole/spy for their team, just like Mumm-Ra made her his spy for his army. That would be enough to make a grown Cat cry, doing what she hates, but doing it to get a happy ending.

3. Snowflakez

Snowflakez New Member

I don't think so, Pumyra wanted revenge before knowing Mum-ra and that made Mum-ra bring her to life, she was bad at the very beginning like when she fell at the fall of Thundera, how could you expect Lion-O to find you? Lion-O don't know about any pumyra and he could not hear you when you call his name. duh!

4. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I had hoped that the 2011 series would find a way to redeem her.

5. NuudoruNoMasho

NuudoruNoMasho Berbill

Yes, she needs to be redeemed. Yes, it's easy to do. There are actually two options to go about straightening her out. The logic applied to this situation (as we saw in Native Son) is very similar to something I saw a while back on a show called W.I.T.C.H. "The chink in your soul that makes you mine"

Her Chink isn't anger.... It's blame. "It's everyone else's fault but mine. People in power have to change things for the better, not me. I'm just some lowly normal person and they owe me a fix!" She's not aware of the power of her own free will. There are two ways to go about this;

A Thundercat straighten's her out: No, not Lion-o(the little puke has other things to do). I think it has to be Cheetara. She's boring as tissue paper, but she's the most self-actualized person on that show. She is willing to die to make her live better and the established authority isn't going to stand in her way. She's grateful for help, but she's not expecting it. Understanding that if you want something done, do it yourself. This is what Pumyra (and possibly the rest of them) needs to learn.

Second version, She'll see what it is to be in a position of power suddenly she can't blame anyone but herself anymore, 'cause now she's in charge on the bad guys side; There's no reason she can't sympathies with the side she's chosen. Mayhaps she saw lizards as kindred spirits or something(then they treat her like she treated her former comrades). I'd love to see her come to her senses independently of the "good guys" and aid in orchestrating Mummra's forces turning against him.

They have set her up to possibly be as amazing as Zuko, if they had a mind to.

6. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Both are nice ideas! I would prefer the second version myself as I would like this epiphany to come from within.

7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think keeping her on Mumm-Ra's side would add a lot more to her character and give them an interesting villain again as the only really good villain they had was Grune. But killing him off so early in the series was a silly idea.

8. NuudoruNoMasho

NuudoruNoMasho Berbill

I like that one better myself.... It is a touch more difficult and demands a bit of subtlety and introspection. (wouldn't have trusted the show writers to do, they kinda sorta handle psychology like a brick to the face.... just a smooch)

I wouldn't have counted our original three stooges.... (and shemp) out just yet. They had the ground work to do something interesting and unexpected.... If they explore the sort of psychology that would create a psyco. That's why Pumyra is interesting and they aren't, we have a "why". Oh the demented possibilities.

9. Gold Lion

Gold Lion Great Void Dweller

I've actually been thinking this over a bit. For a while, I thought that maybe it would be for the best to keep her a villain and have her die a villain. My opinion of Pumyra soured for a while. It's difficult when you don't know what's really going on with her.

I kept thinking of what the main themes of the series were, and I realized that redemption and forgiveness are pretty central to the story. At the very least, Lion-O wouldn't give up on her. We know this from what Dan Norton said about their supposed final encounter that would have happened, where she doesn't redeem and is killed despite Lion-O's effort.

In all honesty though, from a story perspective, I think Pumyra must be redeemed for the main themes to have meaning. A big part of Lion-O's quest is redeeming his own people's past mistakes, to give them a second chance, and teaching forgiveness to others. Pumyra redeeming herself and forgiving Lion-O for leaving her to die has to be a small step in that direction.

Pumyra doesn't need to join the Thundercats or fight their war. She can free herself from Mumm-Ra and go on a journey of self discovery, or maybe die in peace. I think she's too good a character to kill off, and she brought more variety to the group.

Whatever the case, what the story needs is to show that the goodness deep down in someone can win out over the evil that influences them. That's another main theme of the series. We know Slithe would have eventually turned on Mumm-Ra too once he understands what Lion-O fights for, and I think if he can overcome his hatred like that for the greater good then so can Pumyra.

We only know a few things about what direction the series would have gone in, and even those details could have changed. But I think what the series needed was to start becoming more optimistic, and show good really starting to triumph despite all the setbacks and losses. I think that's what the ending was implying.

10. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I like how you described how the show would've played out.