SilverHawks Silverhawks Impressions

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by Mark M, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yeah the Ghost Station episode. It's not too bad. The next episodes are better.

BTW I really liked episodes 2 and 3 of Spiral Zone.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Who remembers the "SilverHawks" commercial bumpers? They were an exact copy of the "ThunderCats" ones, which only had the ThunderCat symbol and the "ThunderCats" logo. The "SilverHawks" ones had Tally-Hawk, the Maraj leaving a rainbow trail, and Hawk Haven.

3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Never seen them or the Thundercats bumpers as over here Thundercats was broadcast on BBC1 which had no commercials.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Well after yesterdays technical fault which deleted some comments by Liam and me I will add this comment again.
    Liam said he seen episode 3 of Silverhawks, and while it was better than the first two he was still not impressed.
    I also watched episode 3 out of curiosity and I was also no very impressed. It was a lot better than the first two episodes, so hopefully it does get better.
    So far though I find it odd and annoying.
    I can't help but still think this is a case of Rankin Bass thinking that if isn't broke don't fix it. There is a lot of similarities to Thundercats.
    I just really dislike this theme of intergalactic space police fighting space criminals. It's very poorly conceived and executed and was done far better in cartoons like Bravestarr and Galaxy Rangers.

5. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Agreed on pretty much all of that Mark.

The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality could well be in evidence, but the thing RB forgot is, it doesn't apply if you're starting something completely different! Mon*Star's catchphrase is such a ripoff of Mumm-Ra's that it's just annoying. The little astronomy lessons at the end of each episode are really getting on my nerves. Makes me want to see the Copper Kid get one wrong once in a while, but of course they can't have that in case it confuses the kids watching!

So far, like I said, not impressed. However, I remember 4yrs ago, watching the early episodes of "King Arthur And The Knights Of Justice", and having similar reservations. But at least in that case I knew there were some good episodes down the line, and had that motivation to keep watching (plus it has the best theme tune ever). In this case, I don't have any memories to reassure me, so it's going to have to do something spectacular to win me over. And I don't believe it has it in it to pull it off. We shall see . . .

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Mon*Star transforming seems such a waste and unnecessary.
    I would be tempted to look up the best episodes and give them a try.
    It seems Rankin Bass wanted to cover Land (Thundercats), Sea (Tigersharks) and Air (Silverhawks).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  7. Daremonger

They seem to have prevailed more in the land department for "ThunderCats."

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Indeed. There is some really good ideas and concepts in both Silverhawks and Tigersharks but so far they just don't seem to have been executed very well.

Daremonger likes this.
  9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Personally I think maybe they would have worked better if they had just kept Thundercats going for another couple seasons and had them exploring more of Third Earth and Thundera or another planet and teaming/meeting the Tigersharks and had them in Space helping Mandorra and teaming with the Silverhawks. With the variation toys of the90's that would have been a perfect time. Just think of all the Sea based vehicles and wet-suit inspired Thundercats and the Metallic Hawk armours the Thundercats could have wore. :rolleyes:

Daremonger likes this.
  10. Daremonger

If the worlds of SilverHawks and TigerSharks existed in the ThunderCats world, then T'Cats would've worked better as a totally expanded universe. ;)

Mark M likes this.
  11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I watched four episodes that were recommended to me yesterday and they were enjoyable. :)

Daremonger likes this.
  12. Daremonger

I'm glad you did.

Mark M likes this.
  13. LiamABC

Which episodes did you see?

Daremonger likes this.
  14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The Hardware Trap 1+2, Bounty Hunter and No More Mr Nice Guy. I found the Hardware Trap 1 + 2 better than the other two. The other two were enjoyable enough even with the few annoyances.

Daremonger likes this.
  15. Daremonger

It's strange that the SilverHawks are depicted as an excellent fighting force in the intro, yet on the show they kinda take a backseat to the villains and side characters.

Mark M likes this.
  16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That is still something that puzzles me about it. In the shows I seen they were hardly an unbeatable super team which in some ways I suppose is a good thing. The villains seemed to be full of character.

Daremonger likes this.
  17. Mcaseres

Mcaseres Glass Walker

How many of you feel that Silverhawks would have been a better rounded and more successful show if Leonard Starr had been involved in the shows creation and initial direction?

Mark M and LiamABC like this.
  18. Mcaseres

Mcaseres Glass Walker

Another of my favorite episodes is episode 40, flashback. You should check that one out too

Daremonger likes this.
  19. LiamABC

Well, I'm no expert on the show, but from what little I have seen (still just the first three episodes, I've not yet checked out those listed highlights), I suspect you could have a point.

Mark M and Daremonger like this.
  20. Daremonger

If Leonard Starr were wholly involved with SilverHawks, it would've worked better. :3

Mark M likes this.