SilverHawks Silverhawks Impressions

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by Mark M, Sep 15, 2014.

1. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I would have to think that Starr would have had a positive influence on the show. I think what he did for Thundercats was great!

Mark M and Daremonger like this.
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

He would've given the SilverHawks characters so much depth.

3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I would just like to think that if Starr had been involved he could maybe have explained that there was far too much going on. They are like cops, but in space, they are androids, with flight ability like hawks, they all have a pet robotic hawk, they battle an evil space mob, a mob that is led by a guy called Mon*star that can transform for no real reason other than the fact to be a bit like Mumm-Ra...and has the same voice as Mumm-Ra. Melodia and Bluegrass are silly.
    It will be interesting to see how I feel about these themes as the show goes on. But at present I think it would have been better if they had stuck to a couple themes.

Daremonger likes this.
  4. Daremonger

That's so true, Mark.

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

And another thing. The whole thing was to close to Gatchaman / Battle of the Planets / G-Force.

Daremonger likes this.
  6. Daremonger

I can definitely see that. :)

7. Mcaseres

Mcaseres Glass Walker

I remember reading in Hear The Roar, that Starr said that he was intentionally left out of the Silverhawks creation out of pride. Jules Bass wanted to prove that he didnt need Starr's help in creating another hit. Bass was great at adding little details but I dont think he was able to create a well defined show. Starr was so talented at looking at the big picture and making it all work cohesively. It was a shame because the show could have been so much more, and would have likely got a second season.

Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

With a lot of tweaking it definitely could be rebooted.

Daremonger likes this.
  9. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

If true it's a real shame that pride got in the way of a great thing. I really wonder what the later storyline might have looked like with Starr in charge.

Daremonger likes this.
  10. Mcaseres

Mcaseres Glass Walker

Some things that frustrated me in the series was that in too many episodes it seemed like all the other Silverhawks were away and one was left to deal with the entire mob. The hawk that had the most personality was the leader Star Gazer and Talley Hawk, while the others seemed more generic. They should have tried to show more of quicksilver's personality, and how he struggled to become a leader, just like Lion O did. Star Gazer could have been a father like figure, in the way that Jaga was. It would have been nice if they actually could have captured some parts of the mob throughout the series and put them back in the penal planet, to give a feel that they were actually doing there jobs. It would have given the Hawks more of a personality, if they sometimes referenced their earlier lives while fighting the mob. An occasional flashback to their lives as humans just to give a little backstory would have been huge. Maybe a flashback of the steel twins fighting against muggers or bullies at a younger age to show how they have always worked together to solve their problems. Or showing Quicksilver losing a battle or struggling in his earlier military days to humanize him. Maybe a backstory of Bluegrass struggling to fly for the first time. All these events would show how far the Hawks have come and would have humanized them more. Just some thoughts

Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I agree. I have only seen a few episodes so far and already Star Gazer is already the most interesting character. And yes the others seems quite generic. As much as I hate Bluegrasses weapon at least he looks a bit different from the main team.

Daremonger likes this.
  12. Daremonger

And there was even an artificial sun on the show. Why couldn't they show our sun, too? In my head, the SilverHawks universe has two suns -- a real one for Earth and an artificial one for the Limbo Galaxy.

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yes in the vastness of the universe the Silverhawks had to be in a galaxy with an artificial sun....:00
    This is why I have a problem with Peter Lawrence as head writer. Jules Bass came up with the concept, but Lawrence wrote the shows Bible. There really should have been someone in that meeting to say ''No that is a really bad idea.....why are you overly complicating things and trying to have so many themes? We should just focus on doing one or two and doing them well.''

Daremonger likes this.
  14. Daremonger

I know, right?

15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

What point was there with Mon*Star transforming. He looked good in his normal form. Were armour is one thing but transforming like that was just weird and pointless.

Daremonger likes this.
  16. Daremonger

Although I like Mon*Star's transformation, you're right in that it wasn't necessary.

Mark M likes this.
  17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Maybe my opinions will change when I finish the series or see several more episodes.

Daremonger likes this.
  18. Daremonger

Okay.

19. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

I can't knock Silverhawks. Sure the episodes were campy and silly but at the same time that quirky feel is what gave it it's charm. The toys were great and I as much as I wish it was more along the lines of the intro in terms of a more serious approach, I appreciate it for what it was.

Daremonger likes this.
  20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I am going to watch the one episode Leonard Starr wrote for the show ''the renegade hero''.

Daremonger likes this.