Some scans needed for the Comic Section! :)

Discussion in 'Vintage Collectables' started by He-Fan, Jul 23, 2006.

1. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Hi all,

I'm sure everyone here knows that our TCL.Org Comic Section was launched a short while ago - check it out here! Whilst it's clearly in its infancy, our intention is for this section to provide you guys with a comprehensive guide to ThunderCats comics, and we have some more great material in the pipeline to show you! :)

The reason for this thread is that, in our desire to make our Comic Section the best that it can be, we need your help! Whilst between us we do have a very large collection of ThunderCats comics, some of the variant covers published by DC/WildStorm between 2002 - 2004 are absent from our collections... :(

Would any of you out there be willing to donate scans of the comic covers that we are missing? All images would be watermarked (thus preventing them from theft), plus you would receive full and proper credit for the immense contribution you would be making! :)

Here are a list of the issues we need a cover scan for:

ThunderCats (2002):

#2 (Jim Lee variant cover)
    #3 (Joe Mad variant cover)
    #4 (Udon variant cover)
    #5 (Rick Mays variant cover)

ThunderCats: The Return (2003):

#1 (John Cassaday variant cover)
    #3 (regular cover)
    #4 (Castellini variant cover)

ThunderCats: Dogs of War (2003):

#1 (regular cover)
    #2 (Dustin Nguyen variant cover)
    #3 (Herrera variant cover)
    #4 (regular cover)
    #5 (regular cover)

ThunderCats: Hammerhand's Revenge (2003):

#1 (Carlos Meglia variant cover)
    #2 (Adam Warren variant cover)
    #3 (regular cover)
    #4 (Variant cover - info on who the artist is would also be appreciated!)
    #5 (both covers - info on who the artists are would also be appreciated!)

ThunderCats specials & one-shots:

ThunderCats/Battle of the Planets (regular cover)

ThunderCats: Reclaiming Thundera (2002 series) TPB
    ThunderCats: The Return TPB
    ThunderCats: Dogs of War TPB
    ThunderCats: Hammerhand's Revenge TPB
    ThunderCats: Enemy's Pride TPB

If anyone has these issues and would be willing to donate cover scans, please could I ask you to either drop me a PM and let me know what you have, or send me an e-mail - he-fan@thundercatslair.org . I will also need to know how you would like to be credited for your donation, i.e. by your board username or by your real name (or both). As I receive contributions I will update this list. :)

Thank you for your support of www.thundercatslair.org! ThunderCats - HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :D

Take care, and thanks for listening! :)

2. Tygra-wan

Tygra-wan Glass Walker

I notice you had left out the Superman/Thundercats one-shot... Did you not need the cover for that?

3. He-Fan

Chris here...

Very well spotted - do you know, I'd forgotten about that issue! :) I have the Ed McGuinness cover, but am in need of a scan of the other cover - how the heck did I forget about that?! :)

I also need to update this thread, as thanks to kind donations from Purrsia (webmistress of http://www.purrsiathunder.org) I've been able to obtain scans for all but three of those Wildstorm issues! :)

I will update this thread properly very soon - I'm still reeling from forgetting the cover I need for Superman/ThunderCats, where is my mind?! :)

Take care... :)

4. Purrsia

Purrsia Moderator

Good news. I have the Superman issue you need. I'll get a scan to you tomorrow and you can cross that off your list, too :)

5. He-Fan

Chris here...

Purrsia, you are an absolute legend! Thank you!!! :D

I'm looking forward to getting that scan! :)

6. Purrsia

Purrsia Moderator

You've got mail ;)

7. He-Fan

Chris here...

Just got it! ;) Purrsia, you're amazing - thank you!! I'll be in touch soon! :)

8. Tygra-wan

Tygra-wan Glass Walker

So now that you have all those scans, how many more do you need? (just out of curiousity)....

9. He-Fan

Chris here...

Thanks to Purrsia's excellent donations, all I need scans of now are:

#4 (Udon variant cover)
    #3 (regular cover)
    ThunderCats/Battle of the Planets (regular cover)

ThunderCats: Reclaiming Thundera (2002 series) TPB
    ThunderCats: The Return TPB
    ThunderCats: Dogs of War TPB
    ThunderCats: Hammerhand's Revenge TPB
    ThunderCats: Enemy's Pride TPB

So, we're on the home stretch! :) Are you able to help yourself, or do you know of anyone who owns those issues? :)

10. Tygra-wan

Tygra-wan Glass Walker

Chris -
    I do have the covers for #3 (reg. -Mcguinness? cover), #4 (Udon & Mcguinness covers), and Battle Of The Planets / Thundercats (both covers), but unfortunately, I don't have a scanner to scan the images in and send them to you. (which is the most unfortunate thing...) I really wish I could do that for you. But I actually do have another question... Do you have the covers for the two one-shots for Thundercats Origins: Heroes and Villains, Origins: Villains and Heroes, or for the Thundercats Sourcebook that Wildstorm put out? Just curious... Again, I feel really bad that I don't have the access to a scanner, so I'm sorry...

11. Tygra-wan

Tygra-wan Glass Walker

Actually I just thought of something... maybe I could get my Dad to let me use his scanner to do that.... but if I did, how do I go about it?

12. He-Fan

Chris here...

Just saw that you'd replied to this thread - my apologies, for some strange reason it didn't alert me that there were new posts here waiting to be read! :(

No worries, I understand - the thought is a very kind one, my friend! :) Re: the #3, the one I'm referring to is ThunderCats: The Return #3, with the cover by Ed Benes. IIRC, it features a scantily-clad Cheetara being leered over by the Mutants, or at least something along those lines. Whenever I had a choice I always used to pick up the regular cover for each issue (i.e., the cover drawn by the interior artist) as opposed to the variant cover, but that was a rare occasion where I didn't like the regular cover very much and so went for the variant! :)

Please don't apologise, I understand completely! :) Re: those issues you mentioned - yep, I have cover scans for all of those because I have those issues in my collection! Hands-down no question, the two Origins books are my absolute favourite things that DC/Wildstorm produced for ThunderCats, IMO they completely redeemed themselves with the brilliance and sheer "Wow Factor" of those! :)

If your Dad has a scanner and knows how to use it, in theory you might be able to use the scanner's software to allow you to save images - alternatively if your Dad's computer has something like PhotoShop or some other photo/image-editing software installed, you may be able to "import" a scanned image, size it, and save it as a .jpg file (or something similar)... :)

It's really kind of you to think of me and the site with that - thank you! And, there's no pressure if you weren't able to make something work there - but, if you were somehow able to get me those scans, you would be backing up Purrsia's wonderful donations and completing the gallery of covers I need for the US ThunderCats comics section! :)

13. Tygra-wan

Tygra-wan Glass Walker

Okay, thank you for the advice Chris... I'm going to see if I can't work the scanner thing with my Dad in the next couple of days and see if we can't get you those covers. By the way, I do also have the Thundercats: The Return #3 cover w/ Ed Benes (and Cheetara on the cover), so I'll see what I can't do. Also - I, too, think that the Origins books were very well done. They were some of my favorites. :)

14. He-Fan

Chris here...

As I say, no pressure - but, if you were able to help that would be simply *AMAZING*! Thank you!! :)

Yeah, I really loved those comics - a lot of the time I felt that the writers for DC/Wildstorm really didn't get what the ThunderCats were about and what the show stood for, but what we saw in those comics just really blew me away! If the whole of DC/Wildstorm's TCats run had been like those, I'd probably be proclaiming the series as the best ThunderCats stories of all time! :)

15. Tygra-wan

Tygra-wan Glass Walker

Chris - I'm going to my Dad's house tomorrow to see if I can't get you those covers... I guess I'll just send them in and e-mail to you as attachments? I'll let you know what happens.

16. He-Fan

Chris here...

That sounds excellent - thank you so much! :) Yes, please feel free to e-mail those scans to he-fan@thundercatslair.org, don't worry too much about the size of the images if you aren't able to resize them, as I'm now on broadband and have an unlimited quota on my e-mail address! :)

Once again, thank you for all the trouble you're going to to try and get me those scans - believe me when I say it really is very much appreciated! :)

17. Tygra-wan

Tygra-wan Glass Walker

Hey Chris!
    You should have some mail in your mailbox now. Hopefully the scans came out well. Let me know if anything went wrong....Otherwise, you should have all the ones you need! (besides the TPBs, that is...) :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  18. Hi He-Fan, I hope you don't mind me bumping this thread.

Like you, I am an avid Thundercats comic book collector. LOL infact, it's a guilty pleasure of mine. I have all of the new Thundercats comics that ever came out, all of the TPBs and 20 of the 24Thundercats Star comics in good condition that came out in the 1980'S. And as an added bounus, I also like to collect the rare UK Thundercat comics and I have close to 40 of the 130 UK Thundercats comics that ever came out.

Hehehe, I have to admit, since you knew who my avitar was, liked the name, I didn't have to explain her and you made me feel so welcome here, I know you are a true Thundercat comic book collector like myself. So I would like to work with you.

I would like to offer scans so all of the fans can enjoy them. I am a part owner of EOT and I want to start a comic section of scans and summaries. But what is most important is giving the fans such a wonderful oppertunity to see these comics.

You tell me what comics you need and if I have them, I'll scan the cover and a few pages of each comic. Sorry, with two young kids running around, I can't scan the whole issue. It is up to you to put a watermark on it. That I don't know how to do and I'm not going to bother to do that when I upload the scans on EOT.

Drop me a line (email or im at queen_lynxana with yahoo messenger)

Comics is my hobby.

Just a teaser...Did you know, (since you are familiar with the name Lynxana) she was in a few more UK issues? I have them ;)

19. He-Fan

Chris here...

Definitely not - it's great to see some activity here for sure! :)

Sounds like your collection outweighs mine - I have a large proportion of the DC/Wildstorm comics (although nowhere near all of them - I usually only bothered to pick up one cover of each issue, and am missing a few issues too), and all of the Marvel/Star issues! I keep looking out for opportunities to pick up the UK comics, but like you say they are very rare, mainly due to the fact that they would often end up getting thrown away once kids had finished reading them - I saved all of the ones I had, but my collection is quite small pro rata to the number of issues released! :(

Wow, this is a really kind offer, thank you so much!! :) I need to double-check what I do and don't need still, as several people here have all been very generous with scans, but once I've done that I'll drop you an e-mail - is your address accessible via EOT.Net? :)

Once again, this really is so generous of you - the support of established members of the online TCats community like yourself really does make a big difference to TCL, and provides a lot of inspiration for the people like myself who work on it! :)

LOL, and mine - a very space and money-consuming hobby! ;) I've always adored comics and comic artwork - out of interest (and somewhat off-topic), do you have any other titles that you collect/enjoy? I promise this isn't a hint - but, as a big comics fan I'd love to see some more comic-related threads on our "Other Discussion" Board! ;)

I know of a couple of UK ones that she was in, because I also have those in my small collection - #'s 64, 65 & 88 I believe! Were there any others? :)

20. Well your right about those three. I don't know if there were anymore because I don't have a lot of the other issues. I do have #64 and #65....unfortunately I don't have #88 *queen lynxana cries

You're going to have a good laugh at this one.....eversince my friends and I bought EOT, we still need to configure the webmaster's email account properly. So no, my eot.net account isn't forwarding my mail. You can send me an email to queen_lynxana@yahoo.com I always use that email and I do check it several times a day. LOL I use my messenger all the time and it always let's me know if I got a new email.

Like I mentioned before, I am starting a comic section on my site and I am about to scan my collection. The only thing is today my computer was being such a pain, I couldn't get online and I had to reinstall a lot of driver software and my DSL software. So hopefully I corrected this problem and I can start the scanning in the next day or two.