Suspension Capsules

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Mark M, Jun 14, 2018 at 4:31 PM.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I was just thinking about the suspension capsules in Exodus.
    In some ways putting them in the suspension capsules right away seemed really stupid.
    Wouldn't it have been better to wait a while instead of right after the Mutant attack.
    Also why all of them.
    Couldn't they have even done shifts in the suspension capsules rather than just having Jaga piloting the ship by himself all those years.
    At the very least during all those years of traveling it would have been a perfect opportunity for Jaga to give Lion-O extensive training in combat and leadership skills to prepare him to be the leader when they arrived on Third Earth.

Wilycub likes this.
  2. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Becasue they needed an Obi-Wan Kenobi? :biggrin

Mark M likes this.
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

LOL oh yes. But they could have had Mumm-Ra or the Mutants kill him off either on the ship or when they were on Third Earth.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  4. Tygra_Rules

Well, yeah that makes a point... one with more much sense LOL.

Mark M likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I find it odd that during the years of travel to Third Earth that the Mutants never launched another attack on the Thundercats ship with their whole armada. Instead one ship followed the Thundercats through space for years....rather than attack again and retrieve the Eye of Thundera from the wreckage.
    Surely out of common sense putting all the Thundercats into the suspension capsules for so long would have been a terrible decision on Jaga's part if the Mutants had attacked again.
    Then there is the whole Lion-O aging while Kit and Kat did not.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  6. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

A very good point! The whole "spending years in the suspension capsules" raises a lot of questions and potential plot holes (which I had even raised in an earlier thread). Consider all the many years that the TCats spent in the suspension capsules while their ship was making it's way towards Earth. Then how come the Mutants, the three New ThunderCats, the Thunderian refugees, the Snarfs didn't age at all? Did they ALL spend all those years in suspension capsules as well???????? :confused:

Mark M likes this.
  7. Tygra_Rules

Maybe the Mutants' technology was more advanced than the TCs one and all their ship was a huge suspension capsule? Just an idea...

Seriously though, Mark's right. Why didn't Jaga think of a system in which every TC -or in pairs to make it better- controlled the flagship while the others were in the capsules? Maybe the capsules wouldn't have been 100% effective that way...

Mark M likes this.
  8. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

That's my guess too. Remember in "Time Switch" there's something about special gases inside the capsules which prevents people from aging? I'm guessing that if the capsule is opened before time, the gases would escape, rendering it useless.

Tygra_Rules and Mark M like this.
  9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

If I am not mistaken in The Spaceship Beneath The Sands I believe the Mutants say their technology is more advanced.
    Also how come the Mutants know of The Eye of Thundera and in Exodus the Thundercats don't know about it and thought it was a myth.

I still think it would have been more effective had Lion-O not been in the capsule and been trained over the voyage.
    They should have had half of the rest of the crew in suspension for the voyage then switched over.

10. Tygra_Rules

I think the whole "myht" thing was an edited scene, but I might be wrong.

11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It's one of the few flaws in the origin story.

12. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

The myth thing is edited out of the single episode version of Exodus, as are a few lines when Panthro is talking about what planet they're headed to. As much as I find the longer version of Exodus to be superior these are 2 changes that make the story make more sense and flow better.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  13. Tygra_Rules

They also edited when the TCs wonder why were the Mutants are working together.

14. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Yeah, those other bits all add to the mythos, I like the logos for each faction we see before that line is said. The editing down of Jaga's theme when he is piloting the ship is criminal.