Sword In A Hole

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Captain Shiner, May 19, 2018.

1. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Amen to that.

2. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

Maybe it’s rose-coloured glasses and 30 years of watching it more than any other episodes, but I think Tcats Ho! is great, imagine your 7 and all these amazing characters feature at the same time, if LS was having a headache writing it, it didn’t show. I don’t think there’s any harm in showcasing the toy line, as I wanted the toys. lol

3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Basically, the Thundercats writing team are a bit like the 70s rock band Styx. Leonard Starr is Dennis DeYoung and Peter Lawrence is Tommy Shaw. When Styx got rid of Dennis in 2000 they just shot themselves in the foot creatively and their all their subsequent albums, without the benefit of their main songwriting talent, just don't cut it.

4. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Absolutely! I watched ThunderCats HO! when I was around 9 and I loved it! I still enjoy it very much. I don't consider it a bad episode by any stretch of the imagination. It may not be Starr's greatest work but even without his full enthusiasm, he still created a great 5 parter.

There are many TCats episodes however that I absolutely abhor!

adssse and Mark M like this.
  5. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

I demand a list!:)

Wilycub likes this.
  6. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

Easily the best of the 5-parters in my view.

Yes, I'd like to see a worst episodes list to which I would happily contribute.

7. LiamABC

Worst episode list?

The Circus Train and The Jade Dragon for starters!

Tygra_Rules and Mark M like this.
  8. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

Dometone, Side Swipe, Swan Song, ScrewLoose...

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I loved Thundercats Ho. I remember renting and getting the video copied when I was about 5 years old. I watched that VHS until the quality really deteriorated.

Wilycub likes this.
  10. Wilycub

Aye aye, cap'n! :biggrin In no particular order, these are episodes that I just can't stand:

Ma-Mutt's Confusion
    The Heritage
    The Formula
    Exile Isle
    Sideswipe

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  11. LiamABC

Hell yeah, Exile Isle has to be one of the dodgiest uses of the catchphrase ever. Along with Locket Of Lies, which just typified what the writers were doing with Jaga - so much of his season 3-4 appearances were just to tell Lion-O to use the catchphrase!

Wilycub likes this.
  12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I really must re-watch season 2-4. Most of the episodes I have only seen once.

13. Wilycub

To me most of these episodes that I mentioned here, just don't feel ThunderCat-y. "Exile Isle" for example, seems so far detached from the TCats mythos. Also I think it was totally ridiculous that Lion-O chose to go the Exile Isle alone and leave behind the Sword of Omens, fearing that it my be lost forever if the Xlam gas exploded, AND YET once there he himself calls it to him. :confused::mad:00

LiamABC likes this.
  14. LiamABC

My point exactly. He uses the catchphrase when it's light years away.

15. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

The whole Lynx-O and his braille board being the only way for the Thundercats into Darkside was so dodgy from the start. In the same five-parter that they introduce the concept, they immediately negate it with Panthro inventing the special fog lamps (that then never get mentioned again). Then in "Sideswipe", they act like Lynx-O needs to go with Mandora because he is the only way to get her into Darkside. Except Mandora is not a Thunderian, and she could just use the easy route of going through Fire Rock Mountain, right? Then we have episodes like "Time Switch" where the Thundercats get to Darkside without Lynx-O at all. In that episode, we're not even shown how they got there, actually. We just know Lynx-O was not with them.

thezaxfactor, LiamABC and Wilycub like this.