#tellmattel what you want for ThunderCats Classics

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

I invited fans to record a video telling Super 7 we want more ThunderCats. Here is the end result. It really is from all over the world! Spread the word we are serious about ThunderCats.
    https://instagram.com/p/BxCs3HlgkvC/

shortfuse, Mark M and Daremonger like this.
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Sharing it around now.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  3. Sebastiaan

Thank you!

Daremonger likes this.
  4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Super 7 know we want figures...same with all the other companies that wanted to make Thundercats over the years. The issue is letting Warner Brothers know we want figures and them granting the licence for quality figures rather than niche collectibles and statues.

Sebastiaan and Daremonger like this.
  5. Daremonger

You're welcome.

6. Sebastiaan

Got a cool interview with Jason Langston all week long too on wewantmorethundercats on IG and FB. He gives some great insight into how it all started.

@markm yes, S7 knows indeed. Brian confirmed this on the video too saying that it is now all in the hands of the decision makers. I have begun tagging WB in all the posts so that they can see we are hungry for more.

Mark M and Daremonger like this.
  7. Daremonger

That sounds good.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  8. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

One of the members over on the ORG had a theory:
    He thinks that Mattel getting back into MOTU figures will deeply cut into S7's plans, so S7 is beefing up their 'catolog' with stuff like Conan, TMNT, and Toxic Crusader. They are hoping Thundercats and some other similar properties will make up for the lack of MOTU product.
    ----------------
    :liono

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Mark M and Sebastiaan like this.
  9. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Vortex Explorer

Let's keep in mind we have been through this all before though. I want to get really excited, but until we hear "yes we are making new figures" I'm not going to go crazy again. In the meantime, we can hound WB with specifics this time - Super 7 is more than OK in my book.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Mark M and Sebastiaan like this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Last time when everyone thought Super 7 would get the licence WB decided to not grant them the licence.
    The fact is Super 7 losing the MOTU licence is no great big deal. MOTUC has lasted roughly 10 years and the vast majority of characters have all been made. Yes there are a several characters that would be nice to fully complete the line but outside of those characters and re-issues of older figures there isn't much more Super 7 can do with MOTUC.
    Personally I think it's great adding more characters from different lines. Conan, TMNT, Toxic Crusaders and Thundercats all done in the same scale will be pretty awesome.
    I would love some Conan Adventurer cartoon figures. :D
    Now if only Super 7 could secure the licences for some Dungeons & Dragons, Galaxy Rangers, Bravestarr and Thundarr that would be awesome.

As far as I know Mattel don't actually own MOTU. Universal own MOTU. But there is some legal thing with Mattel owning the master rights to make toys but that agreement ends in 2020 or 2021 allegedly then full control goes to Universal. Maybe then Super 7 can deal with Universal to finish MOTUC.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  11. Sebastiaan

Yes I heard Brian say that they don’t own MOTU just the toys. Who knows what will happen but it only sounded like S7’s releases won’t be as steady as they were before. I expect to see another batch of 6 Filmation figures at SDCC.
    I would love for them to consider Bionic 6 as well. A great cartoon that will fit in easily with this scale. Can’t wait for TMNT. Hopefully Bravestarr will also be a future possibility.
    As for WB making their final call on this, I am hoping that they see the upcoming MOTU movie as competition and that they will therefore jump at the opportunity to have their own brands share in the spotlight of the nostalgic 80s cartoons.

Mark M likes this.
  12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Personally I really do not like the Filmation figures. Granted there are some nice figures and accessories but I think it just created a divide in the fan base with somewhat unneeded versions of characters that had already been made better. Aesthetically they just look very bland compared to the more detailed Classics figures. The money for the tooling should have went towards tooling for more unique New Adventures and She-Ra figurers. I know a lot of people like the Filmation look etc...but I think they should have waited until Classics was fully finished before working on Filmation. I would much rather a character like Katrina to be in Classics than the Filmation line.

I only seen a few episodes of Bionic Six but the toyline looked pretty cool and I am sure would make some very cool looking modern action figures.
    It will be cool to see how Super 7's Conan compares to the MOTUC Vykor figure (which has totally no relation or influence from Conan ;) ). Like I have said I am unsure about Super 7's quality control so I passed on pre-ordering Conan and the MOTU movie figures but once I watch and read some reviews of the figures to see how they turned out I may get the Conan. Although I must admit I would prefer one based more on the Conan Adventurer cartoon as I had the original toy but the Marvel comics version looks very cool. Hopefully he comes with an unhelmeted head.

As much as a new MOTU would be cool I really doubt it will happen anytime soon. Coincidently the 1987 MOTU movie was on TV here on Sunday night. I also re-watched the DVD a few weeks ago.

Maybe TMNT will play a part in WB decision to sort out a licence deal with Super 7. WB/DC worked out a deal to produce a Batman TMNT movie due for release some time this month. When they see Nickelodeon are confident to let them handle TMNT they should be happy letting them work on Thundercats.

13. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

:eek: Wow! Suddenly, lots to think about!

First off, it is definitely going to suck rancid donkey butt if the deal with Thundercats falls through. :(

Second, if S7 is trying to bolster their catalog, there are lots of similar properties to choose from like Conan the Adventurer, Dungeons & Dragons, Blackstar, Bravestarr, DC Comic's Warlord, Thundarr, Crystar, and more! Granted, there are always rights issues to deal with, but if at all possible, any one of them would be great!

Third, MARK makes a good point about S7 and MOTU. The Big Guns have all been done and re-done, and they are left with mostly C and D List characters. As time goes on, sales have steadily went down because not everybody wants every single character at this point. QC issues certainly haven't helped matters.

I'm sure we'll find something out at Power-Con, but I sure won't complain if we find out something sooner.
    ----------------
    :panthro

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

If the deal falls through again between WB and Super 7 I imagine it doing more harm to the brand as it would no doubt turn away any other company interested in making figures. Why WB would turn away any company wanting to make products based on Thundercats makes no sense from a business stand point. It's more money for them doing nothing while another company does all the work, making a product the vast majority of the fan base want still keeping Thundercats relevant amongst its 80's contemporaries who are all still having new merchandise created for their fans.

@Sword Breaker DC's Warlord would be very cool. I owned the DC Direct First Appearance figure several years ago. It was a nice figure but a bit fragile. He would look great on the MOTUC buck.

Another line that would look great in Classics style is Skeleton Warriors.

Infaceables would also look excellent. They are pretty unknown toyline by Galoob but they had some interesting designs.

Sword Breaker likes this.
  15. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

Agreed. We can all make jokes about Cats having 9 lives, but if this falls through, I cannot imagine any other company wanting to bother with them. It's almost like the property is cursed! Haha!

Thank you! I have hoped and prayed for a Warlord line for years and years. He showed up in JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED, but I don't really care for Animated style figures. I also own the DCD version. It's a fantastic sculpt....of a version that nobody asked for. :mad Still....I knew it was that, or nothing. But anyway, WARLORD characters would fit in great with MOTU and THUNDERCATS.
    -----------------
    :liono

Mark M likes this.
  16. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Vortex Explorer

It's very possible that the numbers for Mattel were strong enough that WB is asking for too much as their part of the licensing deal. Usually when these types of deals fall through where it's obvious to outsiders that the demand is there, it's because one or both sides is too greedy for the opportunity.

Mark M likes this.
  17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

A few of those Remco figures mould make great villains on the MOTUC buck.

I know this isn't likely but I would really love some figures based on the Filmation Freedom Force cartoon of Hercules, Isis, Super Samurai, Merlin etc.

18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yes I think that is what was the problem with the other companies that contacted them over the years.
    Back when the 2011 cartoon came out there was a lot of interest but it went to Bandai as they bid more for the licence.

Of course this is just my own theory but I suspect the previous deal between WB and Super 7 fell through due to WB plans for Roar, thinking it would generate more interest and cause more interest and demand in the licence from bigger companies. How wrong they were. I suspect the general reaction towards Roar is why negotiations have started again between Super 7 and WB as their probably hasn't been much else interest from any other company.
    I think the deal will go through this time and something will be announced before or at SDCC.

19. Sebastiaan

If not SDCC then very likely PowerCon since Brian Flynn said they had something big planned for SDCC. Now that may not mean MOTUC or TC, but potentially TMNT or even another new line.

Mark M likes this.
  20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Let's hope it's definitely TMNT and Thundercats. :D Although if it also includes one or some of the various other toylines discussed here that will be an extra bonus.

shortfuse likes this.