#tellmattel what you want for ThunderCats Classics

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

That's a very, very good question/point about the Jaga and Grune prototypes. In all my years of toy collecting and reading interviews with toy professionals, I've learned that licences, rights, and red tape can be extremely complicated. But then again, it may not be, so who knows?
    ----------------
    :tygra

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Mark M likes this.
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

They can indeed be complicated but sometimes they can be worked out and be pretty straightforward.
    Like when Toybiz bought the Super Powers moulds from Kenner for their Batman movie and DC line. Which was quite brief and they would then produce Marvel Heroes in the same scale and even re-use some of the moulds for them.
    Same when Hasbro took over Toybiz and the Marvel Legends line.

Of course there are some very murky and complicated legal disputes like the Robotech, Macross and Transformers situation.

I don't think there will be any problem with Super 7 making Grune and Jaga if they get the licence.

Sword Breaker likes this.
  3. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

Good example about Toy Biz and Super Powers, and Hasbo and Toy Biz . :cool

Actually, I don't anticipate any problems with Grune and Jaga, but I'm still gonna cross my fingers.
    ----------------
    :panthro

Mark M likes this.
  4. Mcaseres

Mcaseres Glass Walker

Hey guys, I haven’t been following the news. Has someone at Super 7 said that they are getting the license?

5. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

BF from S7 said they were close to sealing the deal with WB. So not confirmed yet but closer to what it has ever been before.

6. Sebastiaan

As per the AdultCollector interview on 28 May Brian from S7 also commented he was happy with the notes he got from WB, so things are still going well for the potential return of TCC.

Personally I think we will get the news at SDCC. Not sure if it will be a placecard like with TMNT but I bet we will at least know for sure. (Also I don’t know if they’d want to overshadow the premiere of their new TMNT line by TC!) This is probably S7’s last attempt at getting it so fingers crossed WB sees their dedication to this line and the great impact they can make on the TC community.

Another thing to consider is once it is a done deal, TMNT is scheduled for preorder this November, so its success with those fans will open up an additional market to sell TC to likeminded collectors. It will surely make S7 the go-to-guys for reimagining classic brands. With Conan, Toxie and more also happening, others like Bravestarr, Blackstar and Bionic Six may not be that impossible to get (licensing aside).

Sword Breaker and Mark M like this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

A new classicized Bravestarr and Dungeons and Dragons line would be awesome. Now if only they could make Blackstarr, Bionic Six, Thundarr, Freedom Force/Space Sentinels, Galaxy Rangers and Defenders of the Earth. :rolleyes:

I am not too familiar with the Marvel Conan comics but I hope the Conan line can also include some of the Conan the adventurer cartoon characters. I remember getting the Hasbro Conan the Adventurer figure and really liking it but he was the only one I got as at the same time the Power Rangers craze just started so I was quite into them. Also the shop I got Conan at was quite far from where I live, no more local shops seemed to sell them. Maybe I would have got more if more shops had sold the figures.
    I also quite liked the Toxic Avengers and had about four of them. Super 7's Toxie looks great. Oddly enough Hasbro made Toxic Avengers to take on the success of Playmates Ninja Turtles. Ironically both brands are now being made in the same style by Super 7.

Now if only Hasbro would do a Marvel Legends scale G.I. Joe line. :D

I think if Super 7 get the licence there will be an incredible buzz about Super 7 at SDCC.

It's pretty cool having MOTU, Marvel Legends, DC, Star Wars, Power Rangers, WWE, TMNT, Toxie, Conan and Thundercats all in roughly the same basic scale.

8. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

I will literally drop dead if Blackstar, Bravestarr, Thundarr, Crystar, or Dungeons & Dragons ( any of them ) get announced at SDCC or Power-Con. John Carter of Mars, Tron and Sectaurs would also be awesome properties. Obviously, DC's Warlord cannot happen unless they would do a similar, yet different, generic line and call it something like....War-King or Lord of War. That's definitely not happening.

Back on topic, I look forward to more Conan, and I am very excited about the T-Cats being green lit! At this point, I'm kind of over Super Heroes because they are completely overexposed, so now I'm located on the corner of Sword & Sorcery and Fantasy.
    -----------------
    :liono

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Mark M likes this.
  9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Just imagine what the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons characters would look like on the MOTUC buck and mixed in with MOTUC, Thundercats, Conan etc.
    Warduke, Strongheart, Grimsword, Hawkler, Bowmarc, Kelek and Elkhorn would be amazing.
    Then perhaps a huge Tiamat figure. :rolleyes::biggrin

shortfuse and Sword Breaker like this.
  10. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

I drool at the thought of that! The funny thing is that back in the day, I missed out on the whole D&D line. I never even knew about them till I was an adult and a member of He-Man.Org. But I've seen many images of them online, so I have often imagined Modern versions of them. They would be glorious!!
    ---------------

Mark M likes this.
  11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I am the same. :) I only found out about the figures in 2002 in a book on action figures when I was 18. I didn't see the other figures until I was researching the line in 2005. I researched the figures as I got the DVD boxset of the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon. I was surprised they didn't make the characters from the TV show. I only seen a couple bits of the cartoon growing up but even watching it as an adult I thought it was wonderful. If only Netflix, Warner Bros or Amazon could get the rights and make an animated movie to finish the series.
    Speaking of Dungeons & Dragons have you seen this?

12. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

Awesome commercial with amazing effects! Seeing this makes me wish it was a live action show.
    -----------------

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Mark M likes this.
  13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I wish this is what the 2000 Dungeons & Dragons movie had been like.

14. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

I'm not really a big D&D fan, but I remember being very excited when I heard there was going to be a movie. I like Fantasy / Sword & Sorcery, so I was totally down for it!

And then I saw the trailer..... :eek: :( :confused:
    ---------------

Mark M likes this.
  15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I recall at the time when the movie came out I was in high school and remembered bits of the cartoon. I thought it would be like the cartoon. But when I saw the trailer I too was quite disappointed.
    The biggest problem with the D&D movie was that everyone knew Lord of the Rings would be coming out a year later.
    I was never into the whole board game side of Dungeons & Dragons and all I knew of it was things I had read. But the movie definitely was not what people expected.

A friend of mine recently bought a book of art work full of Dungeons & Dragons art. I would by that book just for the stunning art work.

Did you ever see the Tom Hanks movie loosely based on the popularity of the Dungeon & Dragons board game called ''Mazes and Monsters''. It's a film about someone who gets addicted to the game.

16. Sebastiaan

So Mattel will soon be announcing their SDCC exclusives. Anyone thinking they may reveal Jaga & Grune while they still have the license?

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I would hope Mattel don't have the licence.
    If they did, that means they have had the licence for three years and ignored the fans and did nothing with it since Maty Collector closed.
    Although it would explain why Mattel is in its current financial state. Numerous bad business decisions.

18. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

Sigh....it's as if the movie studio did not take the concept seriously, and assumed the audience would not either. So they just threw their hands up, and said "Screw it! Nobody's gonna buy this crap. Let's just make it reeeally comedic".

Yeah, I remember watching it. The main part I remember was him stabbing a guy in an alley....I think he thought it was a creature attacking him or something. Who would have thought the actor from that and 'Bosom Buddies' would have such an outstanding career!

Man, I cannot wait for both SDCC and Power-Con! I don't really care about exclusives, because I'll never own any, but I'm just anxious to find out about T-Cats, and other licences. I just hope there's not something I really want that's a Con exclusive.
    -----------------

Mark M likes this.
  19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

My favourite Hanks movies include ''The Green Mile'', ''Big'' and ''The 'Burbs''.
    I wouldn't say that. Most SDCC exclusives are easily available before and after the show. Although yes some are sold for ridiculous prices. Like the NECA TMNT 8 figure set. I liked them but never bought them due to the price. But like I said all 8 figures are now released in different packaging as 2 pack for a significantly cheaper price.

It will be interesting to see Mattel and Super 7's SDCC exclusives. So far Mattel have shown a WWE Slim Jim Macho Man Randy Savage as he appeared in the Slim Jim commercials. It basically just a repaint of a previous figure with the Slim Jim accessory.

20. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Vortex Explorer

The Toxic Crusader figures were also made by Playmates, not Hasbro. They basically follow the exact same formula as TMNT. So if you loved TMNT, you would like those figures too (and I loved both). Gnarly and gross was very "in" at that time.