#tellmattel what you want for ThunderCats Classics

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

If you haven’t joined the movement yet, do so now! Got our first 100+ followers on Instagram and 50+ on Facebook. There’s been almost 7000 impressions in the last week alone and reaching over 1000 folks during that time, not to mention the reposts. We are being heard guys, keep making the noise.
    #wewantmorethundercats #tellmattel

ButterflyBoy and Daremonger like this.
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

All this #tellmattel and #wewantmorethundercats is just a way for Mattel to get free marketing promoting the line.
    Mattel is a multi million dollar company and they should do their own marketing without trying to put everything on the fans.
    It was their own laziness not doing the best they could with the figures and deciding to end the line and Matty Collector that finished the Thundercats line not the fans.

Booshman likes this.
  3. Sebastiaan

That it may be, but the fans are using this not to market Mattel (even if they get free promo) but to tell Mattel that they really want ThunderCats to continue. The interaction just on Instagram climbs daily and the fans are global so the demand is there. Most importantly it connects the fans that want the line to continue.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Mattel know there is intrest in Thundercats otherwise they would never have got the licence.
    I just hope if they do contine Thundercats they make some changes and vast improvements to the old out date under articulated and out of scale MOTUC buck bodies.
    That buck worked okay for MOTUC as all those characters had the same proportions and builds but not Thundercats.
    Even by 2008/2009 industry standards the MOTUC figures were lacking in articulation.
    I would like a Lion-O with double joint elbows and knees that can sit properly and be able to be posed in the iconic poses from the cartoon.

Booshman likes this.
  5. Sebastiaan

We know you dislike the MOTUC buck but look at the Kittens, they made new bucks for them. Also for Mumm-Ra. So it is clear they know what will and won’t work for figures like Slithe etc. They will do them justice. And because of the line’s estheatics I don’t want them to go change up things again. It is what it is and that is what fans of this line want.

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I don't dislike the buck. It is okay for most MOTUC characters. But it really didn't work for slimmer characters from She-Ra and New Adventures.
    Ironically the kittens and Mumm-Ra were the best in the line as they were the ony ones not on the MOTUC buck. The only figure the buck really worked for was Panthro look wise.
    If they are going to persist with the MOTUC buck they will need to invest in some new parts to make characters build and heights different.

7. Sebastiaan

Hey guys, so the feedback overall is clear: the fans want the core lot completed but there is a lot of love to carry on the line. The Four Horsemen have also been liking the posts on Instagram so at least the sculptors themselves can see that there is lots of love for this line to continue. If you guys have any ideas on what to post feel free to share your thoughts. Wakko’s unofficial guide also got great response, and even Joe Amaro chimed in here and there.

Daremonger and ButterflyBoy like this.
  8. Sebastiaan

Daremonger, shortfuse and Mark M like this.
  9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That would be awesome. Then there would be Thundercats with unique sculpts, superior articulation and lots of accessories.
    Having said that though having two lines by different companies could be really effective in terms of getting modern version of the full team and creating a more varying scale and style for the figures and deliver what we want for each individual figure.
    Much like how Marvel has Hasbro's Marvel Legends and Diamond Toys Marvel Select figures and DC have Mattel's DCUC/Multiverse and DC Collectibles various figures like the more recent Icons and Essentials and designer series figures. Then of course DC and Marvel have Mezco's One:12 figures and Mafex and S.H. Figuarts versions of the various chaarcters. I like all those lines but each line has definitely done some characters better than others etc.

Daremonger and Sebastiaan like this.
  10. Serval

Serval Crabman

Also, it would be nice if a company can make a filmation version toy set of the 2011 series. Wonderful designs that were not faithfully translated to merchandise.

11. Sebastiaan

That’s a thought that had crossed my mind too - if this line takes off well with Mattel it could lead to a spin off of the 2011 show. There were a lot of great characters and designs in that series and I won’t mind seeing them brought to life too. Their builds may be a bit different though to work with the MOTUC buck so unique sculpts may be requires. Still I really thought the 6” line had potential...

Daremonger likes this.
  12. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I saw. Storm Collectibles doing a ThunderCats line would be very interesting.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I don't understand exactly what you mean with ''filmation'' versions....Filmation didn't make the 2011 cartoon so I don't understand why you would want Filmation versions of them.
    Personally I thought Bandai's 6" figures of the 2011 series were fine. Yes some of the joints could have had better colour matching plastic and some of the screw holes could have been covered but over all I thought they did a great job. They put a lot more effort into the 6" figures than Mattel did with their Classics line. Each figure was full of articulation, accessories and all unique sculpted to make them accurate to the cartoon.
    When Mattel wouldn't put the effort into making unique sculpts for the more superior, more popular and iconic Classic series do you honestly think they would invest in unique sculpts for less popular characters from they vastly less popular 2011 series lol. :roflmao

I said it before and I will say it again, Mattel need to stop using the MOTUC buck body. It worked okay for He-Man but that was it.
    Mattel already have two superior buck bodies from WWE and DC Multiverse at their disposal that they can use for Thundercats and integrate some MOTUC buck body parts for some characters.

14. Sebastiaan

I think Serval meant cartoon versions perhaps. Don’t judge Mattel on the bucks, it is the 4H who design these and I think that the buck works perfectly. The new approach to adjust the buck in the torso area on new filmation versions of MOTU actually works even better for some figures. Again it is personal taste only. It is the style Mattel offers so it is really just a matter of if you will support what they offer (the way people buy the pop and vynl figures for what they are) and not what is deemed “correct”.

Anyway back on topic, thanks to the next 100 that joined the #wewantmorethundercats Instagram account. Sitting strongly on 200 with an ever increasing reach.

One last thing: I heard Mattel won’t be at NYCC. Any truth to that?

15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I seen some of the changes Super 7 have made. Changing the torso was a really good decision.
    It's a shame though that Super 7 seem to have ruined the female buck body on Teela and Sorceress. i don't understand how anyone could okay a toy with those proportions to go into production. A complete mess.
    Mattel dont have to abandon the MOTUC entirely but they could improve the hips and crotch and make a slimmer chest and torso.

16. Sebastiaan

Putting it out there: would you like the potential ThunderCats Classics continuation to also branch out into the comic books? On Instagram the vote is split 80% Yes and 20% No. Personally I would love to see Bobcat, Lynxana, Wilycat and Wilycub made. As well as the older Kit & Kat and Lion-O in black. Of course I would prefer it made AFTER the core gang has been released.

Daremonger likes this.
  17. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I'd love for ThunderCats Classic to branch out into the comics.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Mattel should just stick to finishing the main cartoon cast based on those designs.
    Besides Mattel/4 Horsemen already used the awful WildStorm comic design for the inaccurate furry too large clawshield.
    I really hope Mattel revise Lion-O with a smaller head with a nice face sculpt with a nice expession, some longer legs/boots and a smooth metallic clawshield thar connects better to him and can hold the sword better like the Bandai version.

19. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

I think it would be cool to branch off into the comics after the core is done. Only issue would be the rights to the comic characters. Yes, WB owns the rights to Thundercats but it may not extend into the comics. It may. I do not now. IP rights get tricky and complicated. If they own the rights then yes definitely but who knows how all that works. Something tells me the rights to things are less than easy considering The Loyal Subjects couldn't even use the name "Vultureman" and had to use Henchman. I personally am a fan of both the 80's comics and the Wildstorm comics although i know i am in the minority there. But yeah, I'm sure getting the rights to characters from them may be tricky. And since the comics in the 80's didn't last long in the US and the Wildstorm comics werent a huge fandom hit, i think it is safe to say seeing anything from that would be unlikely.

20. krazycp

krazycp Junior Member

In my opinion, I would like to see them first tackle the core characters:

Wave 2
    1. Tygra
    2. Cheetara
    3. Jaga (since this is already developed)
    4. Grune (since this is already developed)

Wave 3
    1. Monkian
    2. Slithe
    3. Bengali
    4. Mumm-Ra The Everliving

Wave 4
    1. Snarf
    2. Lynx-O
    3. Ratar-O
    4. Vultureman

After that, anything extra is just a bonus.