#tellmattel what you want for ThunderCats Classics

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Hopefully Super 7 pursue the licence and WB grant it to them.
    There is a chance McFarlane may have purchased it with the other WB and DC licences they purchased a couple months back.

2. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Moleman

I would not be at all upset if McFarlane got the TC license. Actually, I'd prefer that.
    -----------------
    :panthro

3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It would be nice if Super 7 can continue in the same style but at this point I really don't care who makes them as long as they make the majority of the main cast of Thundercats.
    If McFarlane did get the licence I think they would do a great job. But I honestly think pretty much any company that gets the licence now could do a better job than what Mattel did with the licence.

4. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

Of course we were all disappointed Mattel didn’t reveal anything. But I know for a fact that even with the recent departure of BS at Mattel, that there still are folk in there fighting for TC so it is not correct saying all have left when I know otherwise. Before we jump the gun and go all doom and gloom let’s wait for official confirmation from Mattel that they won’t continue. If S7 gets the license I’d be thrilled. But very few know the inside shenanigans so I choose to wait for the next public platform Mattel can be asked about it.

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

If you know there are people still there fighting for Thundercats then that suggests Mattel do not have the licence.

6. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

Didn’t mean it like that. BS said at PC the licence wasn’t an issue.

Mark M likes this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Mattel did have a deal with WB/,DC for most properties.
    But then again PC was before the McFarlane deal and things have changed especially with DC and some licences so perhaps getting the licence might be an issue now.

8. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Moleman

You guys will probably think I'm crazy, and you're probably right.

I have often wished there was a toy company that would do "Close But Not The Same" style figures when situations like this arise. Basically, I mean they could design characters that look very similar to the Cats, have similar names and designs, yet not be exactly the same. I have imagined this happening with many different lines like Dungeons & Dragons, Crystar, Bravestarr, and more. They could still be good, high quality figures.

Sure, a lot of people would turn their nose up at them, and that's fine, but I would LOVE to own something like that rather than have a big ball of nothing.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Mark M likes this.
  9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It has been suggested before. Basically doing what the various "Third Party Companies" are doing with Transformers.
    I know there would possibly be legal issues with likeness rights but I don't understand why there never really seems to be any issue with the 3P Transformers.
    Personally I am surprised there aren't really any 3P Companies making "Inspired" figures in the 6-7" scale. Surely it would be less expensive and less complicated making an action figure than a transforming robot with 100 different parts.
    I know I would rather a company make some figures that strongly resemble Thundercats, Bravestarr, Dungeons & Dragons etc than another variation of a Transformer that's had multiple diffirent official and non-official versions already.

Sword Breaker likes this.
  10. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Moleman

Very interesting, Mark.

I want a lot of specific Sword and Sorcery / Fantasy characters, but I would be more than happy to accept well done Substitutes.

Here are some Knock-Off ideas I had:
    -CLEARSTAR
    -CASTLES & CREATURES
    -SPACE MARSHALL
    -DARK STAR
    -BATTLE LORD
    ( DC Comics Warlord )

It's pretty easy to associate what properties those namesakes would be 'copies' of. Haha! I suppose the name RUMBLE CATS could be used for a certain feline based property....

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Mark M likes this.
  11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

When you consider how many knock offs there are and the third party companies it shouldn't be to hard to use existing figure buck bodies and just sculpt a new head and a couple accessories.
    I recently got a Knock Off Mezco 0ne:12 Captain America and it is stunning with great paint and numerous accessories and extremely close to the official release except the outfit is a shade lighter in comparison.

12. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Moleman

I wish it would happen. There are so many great looking Fantasy characters out there that NEED to be put translated to plastic!! Or that need reasonable facsimiles thereof!

Mark M likes this.
  13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The sad fact is, regardless of who is still interested in Thundercats at Mattel, is that Mattel have really scaled back on Collector based products since the closing of Matty Collector.
    Of course I could be wrong on this, but I have two theories.
    1. With the loss of the DC licence, Mattel will have more interest in producing products for other lines. Possibly the He-Man movie...maybe Thundercats.
    2. Mattel will only focus on the brands that are really making them money like WWE and not take on anymore collector orientated projects.

Making an educated guess I would be more inclined to assume the second option is more likely. With perhaps the slight chance they may do some figures for a possible He-Man movie...but considering how long the movie has been in development it may be a long while before any figures are made.

Another big factor which make me doubt Mattel will ever do anything with Thundercats is that Matty Collector is closed down. Mattel has never had that much faith in their Collector products to sell them at retail. MOTU, Thundercats, Voltron, Ghostbusters etc. Personally I still think a lot of MOTU Classics would have sold fine at retail. Granted a lot of d-z list characters might not have sold that well.
    Maybe if there was Roar merchandise available at retail a Classics based line could be released in conjunction with that...but considering the overall poor reception Roar has got I can't imagine merchandise for it selling very well, so a Classics line being sold along with it probably wouldn't last too long other than a few figures at best...just like Bandai's 2011 figures.

Speaking of Bandai, since 2011 Bandai America have really upped their game with action figures. Their Dragon Ball Super Dragon Stars line is doing quite well with around 30+ figures released in the last 1-2 years. I think Bandai could still be a good contender to make more Thundercats action figures in the 6-7" scale.

It would be so simple for Mattel/WB to just make an announcement on any social media platform and say yes or no. It would only take a few seconds.
    The lack of communication is what is really frustrating.
    If Mattel has nothing to show by SDCC in a few months then it would be safe to assume they are not doing anything with Thundercats.
    Hopefully by then one of the many other companies will announce something before or at SDCC.
    Super 7, McFarlane, Mezco, Bandai, Hasbro, NECA, Diamond Select etc.

Interestingly there are now rumours surrounding Super 7's MOTU licence. Allegedly Mattel will be taking full control of the licence for movie products and that Snake Mountain will be the end of the Classics/Collectors Choice figures and the licencing agreement.
    MOTU Classics is pretty much complete regarding the vintage MOTU toy line up. There are still some New Adventures figures it would have been nice if they had made like Hoove, Lizor, Artilla, Nocturna, Vizar etc. But overall it had a good run with 10 years of over 100+ figures.
    Personally I couldn't care less about the Filmation figures as I really hate the Filmation aesthetic in action figure form.
    If Super 7's do indeed lose the MOTU licence this may give them better opportunity to pursue Thundercats for their Classics style TMNT, Conan and Toxic Crusaders figures.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  14. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Moleman

Yes, it would be nice to know. It's like a potential girlfriend just stringing you along...."Look chickee, is this happening or not?? I need to know so I can act or just move on!"

I have often imagined BANDAI getting the license back. I would be totally content with a reboot of the line in their original style, or perhaps a new style, and long as they are based on Classic designs. At this point, after so many false starts, I think most collectors would be satisfied with just the A-Listers being completed. It wouldn't even take that long.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Mark M likes this.
  15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I have said this before and I will say it again. As much as we would all like a big collection of Thundercats, we have to be realistic.
    All we can really hope for is to at least get 10-12 of the main A list characters. Any beyond that is just a bonus.
    But the main focus has to be the core line up first. Mattel made a really bad decision by including Pumyra in the first wave. Had that been Cheetara there would have been a lot more interest. They also completely messed up the release. They should have waited and started in January. It should also have been one figure per month instead of the planned every two months, which ironically became every month. If they had waited until January.
    The release would have been something like this.
    Jan - Lion-O with Snarf
    Feb - Jackalman
    Mar - Panthro
    Apr - Ssslithe
    May - Cheetara
    Jun - Monkian
    Jul - Tygra
    Aug - Wilykit and Wilykat 2 pack
    Sep - Vultureman
    Oct - Jaga
    Nov - Grune
    Dec - Mumm-Ra Everliving with Ma-Mutt
    Subscription Exclusive - Mumm-Ra Mummy Form
    SDCC or NYTF Exclusive - Evil Lion-O/ Ghost Jaga/Grune or Invisible Tygra.

If this had been all we got the majority would have been happy.

A second year could have had the others.
    Jan - Pumyra
    Feb - Captain Shiner
    Mar - Bengali
    Apr - Mongor
    May - Lynxo
    Jun - Captain Cracker
    Jul - Hachiman
    Aug - Safari Joe
    Sep - Tuska Warrior
    Oct - Ratar-O
    Nov - Snowman
    Dec - Ro-Bear-Berbil 4 Pack Bill, Belle, Bert and Bob
    Subscription Exclusive - Snowmeow

This would complete the original LJN figure line up.

A third year could have Luna and Amok, Chilla, Red Eye, Alluro, Tug Mug, Hammerhand, Topspinner, Ram Bam, Cruncher, Shiner's Guards, Claudis, Mandora, Willa, Naida.
    The only ones here I would really be interested in would be the Berserkers, but I would probably still subscribe to complete the entire set.
    The vast majority of characters could have been completed over three years with a 12 month subscription.

shortfuse and Sword Breaker like this.
  16. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Moleman

I like it. Get the Big Guns out there FAST. That way, if the line starts to tank, you still get all the main characters. If not, you have fun collecting the B and C list peeps.

Mark M likes this.
  17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

There are some exceptions where fans don't mind waiting for certain characters to show up. But considering the history of failures associated with Thundercats toys and statues I doubt fans would want investing in another line with the chance of not getting the main line up of characters.
    Seemingly Funko are now the latest company as the Savage World Thundercats seems to be cancelled along with the Conan the Barbarian figures.
    Since LJN the only company to release all the main characters is Diamond Select's Minimates line.
    Whichever company does Thundercats Classics style figures they really need to get the core line up released first and guarantee they will be released.

DC Direct/DC Collectibles have a history of starting lines then cancelling them. Hence why there has been a lot of hesitation with people supporting their new DC Essentials line after the cancelled DC Icons after a few series. They cancelled the line just before they were about to release my favourite DC character Shazam. Ironically though they released his nemesis Black Adam in the second series. I really wish they had released him sooner and left a couple of the B-C listers to later like Deadman, Static, Swamp Thing, Mr Miracle etc.
    At least the Essentials figures have got a better formula of releasing a hero and one of their nemesis's in the same series. Superman/Brainiac, Aquaman/Black Manta, Batman/Deathstroke, Flash/Reverse Flash and Shazam/Black Adam.

While I was working of the potential releases I got thinking how much I would really love a 6" scale Classics line of G.I. Joes. Considering what Hasbro have done with Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black Series and now the Power Rangers Lightning Collection, I am sure they would be amazing. Much like Thundercats though I would be more than happy with just the A-listers at the start. :rolleyes::biggrin

18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

@Sword Breaker and @shortfuse some pretty exciting news!
    https://news.hisstank.com/2019/03/1...ormer-hasbro-gi-joe-designer-bobby-vala-66335
    Valaverse are making a line of 6" Military G.I. Joe style action figures called Action Force. Ironically what G.I. Joe used to be called here in the UK.
    Perhaps this announcement of these 6" scale figures and the upcoming Snake Eyes movie will prompt Hasbro to finally make some 6" scale G.I. Joe figures.
    Much like when the Third Party companies make a certain Transformer Hasbro Takara usually release a superior official version.

19. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Moleman

Mark M, maybe you're onto something.

There looks to be a resurgence of the Fantasy / Sword & Sorcery genre. Game of Thrones has been successful, and it looks be followed by at least one spin-off and possibly more. There are also plans for The Witcher, Conan, a Lord of the Rings prequel, and The Wheel of Time on the small screen. We know that a Masters of the Universe movie will soon be made. Maybe this will mean more Fantasy genre toys! I would be absolutely fine with a company going the 'GI JOE' route you just mentioned.

If nobody wants to make actual Thundercats figures, maybe somebody will make something similar to them. They could do an amalgam of MOTU and Thundercats type figures, with a mixture of human characters, and human/animal hybrids.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Actually now that I think of it there was some Thundercats inspired 3.75" figures released a year or two ago. Can't recall the name of them,. I believe it was Pixel Dan who did a review of them.
    Maybe a Small company like Boss Fight Studios could do something with Thundercats. Their Bucky O'Hare figures look awesome.