He-Man The Art of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by Wilycub, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The Burton Superman movie would definitely have been interesting, especially the casting of Nicholas cage. Visually Christopher Reeve was a perfect Superman. 2 was the best of the films. Although I don't think any of them have really captured the story of Superman comics.
    Have you seen Man of Steel. I thought that was really boring also. The trailers did not help it at all. Him with a beard on a bot, you would think it was a trailer for a movie about Trawler Men or Deadliest Catch instead of Superman. Although it was more interesting than Superman Returns.
    Now if you look at the DC animated Superman movies some of them are great, Doomsday especially.
    Some how I don't think Batman Superman Dawn of Justice will be that great either or on par with the animated Superman/ Batman movies.

2. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I only saw two episodes of the Ewoks cartoons and I really liked them. I don't exactly remember the title of the episodes but one was about a plant that was given by one female ewok to another to take care of and she kind of forgot to water it and it started dying and the second was about some crystal cloak and the bad guy was a bat-like humanoid demon.

I have not seen the Clone Wars, but I do agree with your point. The prequels spent too much time on developing the "boring" aspects of the characters rather than their interesting history and backstory. Like in TPM too much time was devoted to Anakin doing his "kiddie things" and in AOTC, the romantic scenes between Anakin and Padme really slowed down the pace of the movie. I think Lucas did a good job of fixing some of those problems in ROTS and I liked the darker tone of the movie. Even Christensen's acting was slightly better in it than in ATOC. You know, only after I finished watching all six movies did I realize that Star Wars is actually just the life story of Anakin Skywalker. From his childhood in TPM all the way to his death in ROTJ. :)

Yeah. Even though Chris Reeve did not look like the Superman from the comics, his brilliant performance as both Superman and Clark Kent sort of made him into the benchmark for all future Superman performances. If the Salkinds and Donner hadn't had that falling out, I think we could have had some great Superman movies, probably ones in which Superman was pitted against some of the more powerful foes from the comics.

Whenever people (mostly the younger generation) talk about the original Superman movies, they are very critical of them, saying how the special effects look terribly dated etc. I'm not surprised since most of the kids of today have grown up watching Michael Bayesque CGI laden movies. But what they don't realize is that what made the original Superman movies so great was not the special effects but the performances. The way Reeve convincingly portrayed anger, humor, love and sadness has not yet been paralleled by any other superhero actor, IMHO. If you look at his outfit it looks like something you would see people wearing at Comic Con, but it was his performance that made us believe in Sup0erman instead of laughing at this grown man dressed in tights with his underwear outside! :)

I could only bear to watch half of Man of Steel. After that I changed the channel as I couldn't tolerate it anymore! The makers goofed up big time with that one. I think it was a REALLY wrong decision to make Superman dark and gritty and realistic a la Batman Begins. That tone suits Batman as a character but definitely not superman. If Batman represents the night and shadows, Superman stands for bright sunshine and hope. Back then everyone was going the Nolan way, turn everything dark and gritty. I remember, before Man of Steel was even announced, I read a post on a message board by a Nolanite saying that every movie should be like Nolan's Batman movies. So I, in a jestful manner, replied by saying that maybe in future Superman movies we could have him living in exile and suffering from depression. I guess the makers of Man of Steel must have taken my post a bit too seriously! LOL!

With Superman Returns, I think the makers were trying to go the TFA way, relying on evoking the nostalgic sentiments of fans to make the film a success. They cast Brandon Routh, who looks a LOT like a young Chris Reeve and there were many homages and references to the original movies and some of the basic plot elements were almost lifted from the original (Luthor again steals Kryptonite from the Museum and again comes up with a plan to get control of land, killing millions in the process etc.). I think the overall story was just too weak and all over the place.

Mark M likes this.
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The Ewoks is a good cartoon. I can't recall those episodes. Asha is the best. It's odd how it turned out better than the Droids cartoon, but then a again they had great writers working on it like Paul Dini etc.
    Did anyone really want to see young Anakin, boring teen Anakin then emo young man Anakin. I wanted to see a movie about cunning warrior and greatest star pilot in the galaxy who fought during the Clone Wars.
    DC should get some of the people who worked on the Marvel movies to do theirs. The Marvel movies have some flaws but at least they are fun and entertaining...most of them any way.

Wilycub likes this.
  4. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

Sorry guys ... but I am going to jump back onto topic here ...
    This Book is Awesome, and the first thing I thought of when I got it was, we need a ThunderCats one like this .. hehe
    I really hope WB opens up to the idea, maybe someone at Mattel sees the opportunity and steers it in that direction with the right contacts at WB ... who knows?

Mark M and Wilycub like this.
  5. Wilycub

You are not alone, my friend. :)

Mark M likes this.
  6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It would be great.

7. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

Is Hear the Roar available as an electronic purchase ?

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I don't think so. It is worth getting as it's a great book for Thundercats information.

9. Wilycub

Last time I checked I don't think it is yet available as a digital ebook. Actually a lot of the fans here were hoping it would be. Nevertheless it's still a great book and I too would highly recommend it. :)

Mark M likes this.
  10. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I would be thrilled if they offered a digital version. Currently I lug the book around in my bag everywhere and it would be great to have it on my phone and tablet, not to mention being able to search and take screenshots!

Gerrit likes this.
  11. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

Agree 100% ... :thumbsup

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Do you have the paperback of Hear The Roar?

13. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

No not yet

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I would highly recommend you getting a copy if you can get it at a reasonable price. There is so much in it to enjoy. From the creation of the show. The voice cast. Interviews with the writers. Episode guide and reviews. Toy guide. Info on the toy line. Interviews with sculptors who sculpted the toys. Info on the comics. Even a Silverhawks guide. The only thing that would have made the book even better would have been WB allowing the author to use more images from the cartoon.

Wilycub likes this.
  15. Wilycub

I second that! :)

16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I should say WB should have allowed the author to use cartoon images instead of more images since there isn't a single cartoon image in the book.

17. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

Maybe they did, but at a ridiculous price ... :00

Mark M likes this.
  18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That's what I meant lol. Probably asking way too much.

19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

A bit unrelated but I order the He-man mini comic collection so I will put up some pics and info on it when it arrives. :D

20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I got the Mini-Comic Collection. I will take some pics this week and post them with a review of it.