The Black Cauldron.

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by mumm_ra_n_rana, Jul 4, 2016.

1. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

anyone ere seen this movie? I watched on putlocker and it's pretty good. Of course the villain is the best part. Don't believe me? well LOOK at him!
    [​IMG]
    Happy Nightmares! XD :mummra:

Mark M likes this.
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yes I have this on DVD. Really good movie. I like how the villain loos like a mix of Skeletor and Venger.

mumm_ra_n_rana likes this.
  3. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I've never really seen the cartoon in its entirety, just caught glimpses of it here and there. It does seem rather "dark" when compared to other Disney animated features released during that time. If I recall correctly, I don't think it was very successful at the box office, though it might have developed a cult following now. I think it was even mentioned on the list of Disney's Worst movies ever. Though that probably is a bit harsh.

Mark M likes this.
  4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

You should give the full movie a watch sometime Wilycub.
    I think it was made to capitalise on the success of all the other fantasy movies and cartoons of the time that were very popular. I would be interested in reading the list of Disney's worst movies out of curiosity.

5. Wilycub

I think you are right. Didn't they also make "The Sword in the Stone" a few years earlier? It also focused on the whole fantasy element.

I think this was the list: http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/5-worst-disney-movies-ever-made.html/?a=viewall

Mark M likes this.
  6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I believe Sword in the Stone was about 15 years before it.

The list is interesting. I can't say I have seen the other four properly but I seen bits of Home on the Range and Chicken Little.

7. Wilycub

I too have only seen bits of those two movies. I got so bored that I turned them off! :confused:

I've always felt that coming up with a great story has always been Disney's Achilles Heel. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE most of the Disney movies! I grew up watching them. :) But if you analyze them, they often were based on fairy tales or other pre-existing stories. Sure Disney put their own cool spin onto them and even came up with great characters, but they needed a "base" upon which to build.

While their animation quality kept growing exponentially, their stories often left a lot to be desired. Even some of their most successful movies often have a rather okay story. This is most notable in the later years. If you look at "Tarzan", "Atlantis", "Treasure Planet", "Brother Bear" and others of that era, all have incredible animation but average storylines. I feel Pixar are better at coming with amazing and original storylines than Disney alone.

Mark M likes this.
  8. mumm_ra_n_rana

It's MUCH better than home on the range, the wild, and chicken little MUCH MUCH better! Wiley, if you want to watch it you can find the movie on Putlocker. The funny thing about this movie was that it's actual INTENT was to be a more adult film. It wasn't meant to be a children's movie. But executive meddling ruined it. I love the film, it's much better than people give it credit for. People saying it's the worst is just unfair when it ISN'T! Even the author of the book series it was based on enjoyed it!
    Lol, I think the Horned King and Mumm-Ra would be good friends. XD

Mark M likes this.
  9. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I've seen The Black Cauldron. I currently own it on DVD.

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I really enjoyed "Tarzan", "Atlantis" and "Treasure Planet". They were not as predictable as some of the more famous 90's movies they did. But I do get what ou mean about lacking original story ideas.
    This is why I really enjoy the Studio Ghibli movies. They have very original stories.

11. mumm_ra_n_rana

The king gets some real hatred his way. people claim he does nothing and is flat. But there are things I have noticed about him because I was paying attention. He's got much more character depth to him than anyone gives him credit for. You just need to pay attention.
    That aside. anyone who hasn't seen the movie NEEDS to.

Mark M likes this.
  12. Wilycub

Even though I haven't seen "The Black Cauldron" in its entirety, I totally agree with you. Those three movies that you mentioned were just incredibly bad. It's hard to believe that Disney is responsible for them.
    Executive meddling has ruined a great many films. I think that was the reason why Don Bluth and some of the other Disney animators left the company to make "Secret of NIMH", which was also quite dark.
    I really enjoyed the first half of all those three movies, but the second half didn't add anything new or surprising to further build on the groundwork laid by the first half. They almost felt like those toy motorless cars. Once you push them, they just keep on slowing down until they stop.

Even a movie like "Tarzan", which had so much interesting stuff in the source material, felt like a very "small" and contained film. They should have made that in a more grand and epic scale with a lot more characters and at least a few subplots. Tantor and Turk were very boring and rather unfunny sidekicks. Very little was shown of Tarzan's life in the jungle before the story thrust in Jane, her dad and Clayton. Then they quickly "civilized" Tarzan. I think the movie would have benefited from a second plot involving a native warrior like tribe who don't get along with Tarzan or the gorillas, but turn out to be the unlikely allies in the fight against Clayton. For a film set in the African jungle, the number of wild animals was painfully low.

Mark M likes this.
  13. Wilycub

Mark M likes this.
  14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yeah I know what you mean. Mulan was a pretty good Disney movie. I watched a load of Disney movies last year and I really enjoyed the Rescuers and The Great Mouse Detective. Both reminded me of Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers. :D

15. Wilycub

I LOVE that show!!!! That and "Duck Tales". They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Mark M likes this.
  16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

There is a remake of Duck Tales coming out later this year or some time in 2017.
    I liked Duck Tales but I preferred Rescue Rangers. Rescue Rangers, Gummibears and Dennis the Menace were my Sunday morning viewing. :D

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I am definitely going to watch The Black Cauldron soon when I get this family portrait commission out of the way.

18. mumm_ra_n_rana

I hope they don't make the remake this dumbed down CGI ting. I gotta admit this but I HATE CGI cartoons for the most part. There are a few good ones out there like Beast Wars, Reboot, and Miraculous Ladybug but most of them look extremely cheep and boring. Even thought MLP is done in Flash the way they move weirds me out. I miss the mroe traditionally drawn cartoons and I wish Disney would make another 2D animated movie.
    Hey fun fact. The Black Cauldron was the very first disney film to use CGI. not a lot o it but in certain places. I always enjoy a mixture of the two mediums.
    and I think I mentioned this before but the author of the books the movie is loosely based on LOVED the film

Here's a link to the film. http://putlocker.is/watch-the-black-cauldron-online-free-putlocker.html
    Just a little trivia; John Hurt voices the horned king.

19. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Ya, these were all great! I also liked Talespin quite a bit.

Mark M and Wilycub like this.
  20. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I don't believe it is going to be CGI. It will be animated in the same style as the newer Mickey Mouse shorts.
    [​IMG]