The Black Cauldron.

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by mumm_ra_n_rana, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

It's like you are reading my mind! :) Mark M will attest to the fact how much I too hate these cheap CGI cartoons that are being churned out by the score. Since the advent of computers and animation softwares, pretty much any Tom, Dick or Harry can make their own cartoons from their basement. And since movie studios want to keep costs to a bare minimum, they too rely heavily on CGI animation for most of their cartoon series. Yes it is faster, yes it requires less manpower, yes it is cheap, but the quality is terrible for most of the time!!

How could I have forgotten to mention that! :oops: Thanks for reminding me about that one, adssse. That was a great show too. I still have its theme song on my ipod! :biggrin

That's good to know. But I still feel the style is a bit too "stylistic" for my taste. I still prefer the old look of the original cartoons.

That's cool! Didn't know that. But I do know that Disney did start to experiment with CGI from the 80s. They often tried to incorporate it into their cartoons, mainly for backgrounds or mechanical/inorganic objects. I'm completely fine with that.

Mark M likes this.
  2. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

I really don't mind CGI in the 2d cartoons because for the most part it's not very noticeable and meshes well. But other times it's just REALLY annoying. I would have loved it if they had made Frozen and Tangled 2D movies. I was hoping they would do that with Moana but it's not to be. It's even more annoying now since they're making all the old animated Disney films into live action remakes and so far that hasn't gone down very will. and I REFUSE to watch the new Pete's Dragon movie. The ole one was just fine and Elliot as a tooned dragon was just fine. I REALLY hope they don't remake "who framed roger rabbit" and make all the toons into CGI messes. >_<

3. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Count me in as another fan of the old school 2D animation! I understand costs and a budget and am even a fan of such things as the new TMNT cartoon, but as far as style it just can't hold a candle. That is one thing that the new Thundercats did right!

Wilycub and mumm_ra_n_rana like this.
  4. mumm_ra_n_rana

I get a bad feeling if they tried it again it would be CGI. >_< I don't WANT TO SEE MUMM-RA in CGI!
    But I do agree, even though I don't like the reboot the animation and art in it was LOVELY.

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Talespin was a great show. It was shown here when Rescue Rangers and Gummi bears finished. I had the action figures of Baloo and Don Carnage.
    I prefer 2D animation also but some shows I can excuse like TMNT and Beast Wars etc as they have wonderful writing and characters.
    The animation (the designs are a different matter) was not the 2011 series biggest problem. The horrible story, characterisation and pacing of the series was the biggest fault.
    I doubt even if Studio Ghibli and Disney had done the animation for the 2011 series it would not have made a difference. As Wilycub and Liam and I have discussed on other threads, no amount of star casting, CGI, special effects etc can make something that is awfully written any good.

Wilycub and mumm_ra_n_rana like this.
  6. mumm_ra_n_rana

well I'm basically just saying the animation and background art for the reboot was nice to look at even though the rest was severely lacking. I've seen quite a few animated things with lovely artwork that didn't save the move/cartoon/whatever from being awful. The rest to me was just meh. It could have been much better. Maybe they should have hired people who actually saw the original series to work on everything else.

Mark M likes this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Seeing the original wasn't the issue. They should have hired people that actually liked and respected the original for what it was. To me the 2011 series just felt like an attempt to put Thundercats in the Avatar mould.

Do you know what would have made The Black Cauldron more iconic? At the time if it had an action figure line. :rolleyes: There was a lot of movies and cartoons from the late 70's and 80's that had a lot of toy potential that never got any like Thundarr, The Dark Crystal, The last Starfighter, Shazam, Space Sentinels, Freedom Force etc.

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

BTW, regarding Treasure Planet, did you know that the concept of Treasure Island in space had already been done in the aptly titled Treasure Island in Space TV mini-series. I remember having an ex-rental copy of it on VHS. I can't say it was any good but the VHS package was really interesting as it had a lenticular cover.

9. mumm_ra_n_rana

A figure of the horned king would have been interesting to see.

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yeah it would be awesome. Oddly enough one of the films I mentioned The Dark Crystal is getting action figures made in retro style based on the toy prototypes from the 80's they never got a around to releasing.
    It would be cool if Disney could make some Dark Cauldron stuff and sell it as Disney Store exclusives.

mumm_ra_n_rana likes this.
  11. mumm_ra_n_rana

Well, I was thinking someone could remake a mummy mumm-ra figure into the king but then I realized that aside from them both wearing red they don't have much else similar. >_<

Mark M likes this.
  12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yeah not the best base for a custom. That's the thing with making a custom figure. You have to find the best figure for a base to start on. I think that villain leader, Prime Evil, from the Filmation Ghostbusters toyline would be good for The Horned King.

13. mumm_ra_n_rana

I don't know who that is so I'll take your word for it. I read somewhere disney is going to try making movies based on the book series the black cauldron is based on again. I guess they're going to take another shot at the series. I just wonder will trying again encourage more people to watch the original movie?

Mark M likes this.
  14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Google Prime Evil figure. The Filmation Ghostbuster cartoon was not very good, but the toy line was beautiful.
    I would be interested in reading the book of the Black Cauldron.
    When Ghibli announced 'When Marnie Was There' I tracked down a copy of the book and read it before I seen the movie.

15. mumm_ra_n_rana

The book isn't just one book. it's a series called "the chronicles of Prydain". The movie itself is loosely based on I think two of them.

16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I shall have to look them up. It's cool the author liked the Disney adaption. There are a lot of authors who were not happy with how there work appeared on screen.

17. mumm_ra_n_rana

The guy said take it for what it is and that is was very enjoyable. He encouraged people to read the books but the biggest thing that makes me respect him so much is that he liked the film and didn't get all bent out of shape about it. :mummra:

18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I recall reading about the Studio Ghibli movie 'Tales From Earthsea' that the writer of the book was not pleased with the movie, saying that it was a good movie but not his book.

19. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Daremonger likes this.
  20. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Thanks for sharing that link and pic, adssse! :thumbsup

The art style resembles the Carl Barks comics more than the cartoons. Can't say I'm going "quackers" over it, but at least it's not CGI. :)

mumm_ra_n_rana likes this.