The Dark Knight Rises

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by Movie-Brat, Dec 19, 2011.

1. KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas Glass Walker

I saw it at the premiere and it kicked major ass.

I'm terribly sorry about the incident in Aurora Colorodo, i hope they fry that punk. From now on i think all major theaters should have metal detectors.

2. The_everliving

The_everliving Junior Member

I just saw it on Friday. It was truly awesome. Funny thing about this guy, if you seen his college pic thats on the news, he looks insane so why didnt any people see any warning signs from him like when he colored his hair green.

3. Ideal

Ideal Glass Walker

i can walk through the mall right now and show you a half a dozen people with their hair colored something other than a natural color (pinks, reds, even green), and im pretty sure that none of them are going to the movies tonight to shoot a bunch of people

4. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

What makes it even more weird and creepy is that authorities have said they believe the motive of suspect James E. Holmes was under way for up to two months and have the evidence of a deliberative process in his mind to attack.

The paradox is his background story is full of contrasts. But i bet Ted Bandy's was too...James was described as a bright student who entered the University of California as a scholarship student and graduated with highest honors with a bachelor's degree in neuroscience in 2010.

Unfortunately, though this is the least of my worries since so many people died,this massacre cast a pall over TDkR opening.

My heart goes out to those who were involved in this tragedy and to their families .

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  5. Cheezey

Cheezey Laser Beast

That shooting was so horrible. I was watching some footage on the news yesterday of him in the courtroom, and studied his face and expressions... it was like he didn't even comprehend all that had happened, or something. Very creepy.

6. Lord Slithor

Lord Slithor Mutant

Yeah. I thought he must've been either sedated, or coming out of a psychotic episode.

Also, looking at his colored hair made Ocelli and I think he must have had his clowns confused. We thought, "The Joker? Looks more to me like Ronald McDonald!"

But seriously, there were a few things I've been thinking about in this. I'll try to keep things as non-political as possible. And if they want to move this to the Black Pyramid, I'll have no problem with that. I'm not out to troll or start anything. Just want to express some thoughts.

1) We really need to fix the mental healthcare system here in the U.S. It's a mess and has been so since the 1980's when mental institutions' funding was cut and they had to let inmates out into the streets, which contributed to a spike in homelessness at that time. Since then, it's become more and more difficult for people who have serious mental problems to get the help that they need. They're either walking around undiagnosed, or not diagnosed properly, or getting insufficient care. And in some cases the system is so understaffed/overburdened and there are no ways to force these people who are a danger to themselves and others into care, that they have little choice but to let them go. That these people like Holmes, Jared Loughner, Seung-Hui Cho and others keep slipping through the cracks is enough of an indictment. And while reforming mental healthcare may not have fully prevented this, chances are it would have been more likely we could have gotten to these kids earlier and given them the help they needed.

2) Just prior to this, it was reported that a few movie critics were getting harassed and receiving death threats from fans for giving negative reviews of this movie. It got so bad that Rottentomatoes.com had to suspend their comment functions. It makes one wonder if Holmes might have been one of these people? It may be just a coincidence, but the timing of both of these incidents so close together makes it seem there might be at least some sort of connection.

There have been quite a few high-profile incidents of "nerd-rage" lately: this, the Retake Mass Effect movement, and Turtlegate. And what I've seen to me really has gone beyond the pale, and is getting dangerously out of control IMO. And while I know it's not fair to paint a group with a broad brush and hold the actions of an entire group responsible for the actions of one person, I think we do need to take a closer look at this problem. And it is a problem.

Just like some believed that the violent-sounding rhetoric of certain Right-wing personalities (i.e. "Don't retreat. Reload!" ) contributed to a climate that gave rise to the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords, I think in a way, the behavior of the nerd/geek community in some way played a part. And while some may dismiss such things by shrugging and saying, "It's the internet," I tend to see such things as a bellwether of social discourse. And while one may see it as simply having fun and expressing their opinion, collectively it adds up and creates a consensus. And lately there just seems to have been a lot of ugly behavior coming from the nerd community. Behavior that could spur an unstable individual like James Holmes from crossing the line from simply threatening violence to actually committing it.

I'm not about to tell people that they'd better watch what they say, but I think it does pay to stop, take a breath, and review that angry rant they just typed out before hitting, "Post." It's just common sense. In the end, pointless nerd-raging does nothing constructive, and only makes us look bad.

3) Reading the news reports, I realized that this occurred very close to the first year anniversary of the Norway shooting committed by Anders Behring-Breivik. Could Holmes, in his own twisted mind, have wanted to observe it by somehow topping Breivik's own body count? Considering that the Columbine killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold chose April 19th, Hitler's birthday, as the date of their massacre, I'd say it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Okay, that's it. Just wanted to get those things off my chest. And my apologies to the admins if I went too far. I'd much rather talk about the movie now. But I just wanted to put my two cents here first on what happened.

7. Ideal

Ideal Glass Walker

actually, they chose April 19th because a friend that they wanted to spare was going to be absent that day, but due to problems making bombs and getting ammo, they were forced to push back to the 20th, which is Hitlers birthday

8. hammy0924

hammy0924 Ultimate No-Life

I just recently saw this movie (yeah, I know, a little late). It was awesome! I predicted that the one guy was Robin as soon as he said he was detective. Overall I don't think I enjoyed it as much as the previous movie, though. Bane was good, but the Joker was just in another realm of awesome. I had trouble understanding Bane at some points, but nothing too extreme. I would have also liked to have known what happened to him after his last scene, although he probably just got sent to jail or something.

Overall, probably a 9.5/10. It was a great movie.

9. KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas Glass Walker

Any guys here thought Hathaway was hot in that outfit?