The joy of the Minimates is in the details

Discussion in 'Modern Collectables' started by ButterflyBoy, Oct 4, 2015.

1. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Mutant

Not sure where else to discuss this, but was anyone else super impressed with how the designers of the minimates made several obscure references in their toyline? I think its clear that the designers either did their research or are huge fans themselves.

For example, has anyone noticed that the tiny blade that came with Robear Bill is the same exact one he used in the episode "Berbils"?
    Then there was the inclusion of the Wolfrat.

And am I the only one who thinks the gun that came with Jackalman looks like his voice imitator from "Divide and Conquer"?
    I really wish this line could continue, but I am delighted with what we got. They are the company that got it right.

Mark M and Daremonger like this.
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

The Minimates mummy Mumm-Ra came with the staff that the LJN version had. :mummra

3. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Mutant

Oh yeah! PLUS his Ever-Living form came with the Sword of Plundarr - something that appeared relatively late in the show which is an era that doesn't get a lot of love.

Oh, BTW, I made an error in my first post. I meant to refer to the gun that came with Vulturman, but I wrote Jacklaman instead. Hopefully ya'll know what I meant.

Daremonger likes this.
  4. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

It's cool.

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yeah Diamond Select did an amazing job with the Minimates. Just like they did better with Thundercats than Bandai, they also did far better with Ghostbusters than Mattel. I still think Diamond could have done some amazing Thundercast figures in their Select lines like Marvel, Munsters and Ghostbusters etc. If the Select Abomination is anything to go by they would have had a good time sculpting Ssslithe, Monkian and Snowman etc. :rolleyes

6. Wes2882

Wes2882 Berbill

Minimates was such an awesome line! I really loved the character choices, accessories, everything. For a while I thought it was going to be the best we would get. Now there is so much exciting stuff on the horizon though, with Loyal Subjects, Mezco continuing with at least Tygra and of course Mattel! Good time to be a Thundercats collector. :)

Mark M and adssse like this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

With all the of stuff out and coming out Thundercats, MOTU, Marvel, DC, Transformers, Ghostbusters, TMNT, WWE, Star Wars etc it isn't a good time for bank accounts LOL. ;)

8. Nitewing73

Nitewing73 Junior Member

It's funny looking back on this line, it's amazing how many characters they made in a short amount of time. Aside from the original LJN line this is the one modern line that had all the Thundercats and the mutants. If they only made the Lunataks and Hammerhead and CO personally this would one of my favorite TCats lines of all time.

9. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I agree. The look may not be my favorite but they did an outstanding job of producing the core characters.