The Last Movie You've Watched

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by Movie-Brat, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat Berserker

I'd like to thank Lord Slithor for inspiration. Basically, this is a thread for movies you've recently seen. Go ahead and post your reviews (long or short). For me, I saw The Living Daylights, I give it a 9/10.

I liked it more than I thought I was going to. First of all, I think Timothy Dalton is a underrated Bond actor. I mean, rather than going with what Connery and Moore had already done, he went to the original novels by Ian Fleming for inspiration. He's definitely trying everything he can and you know what? He was pretty damn good.

Maryam d'Abo, aside from being hot, she wasn't too bad as a Bond girl. I quite liked her. The villains are cool too and the rest of the cast did well. John-Rhys Davies is still awesome, Joe Don Baker while you don't see much of him, he's kind of entertaining. I definitely enjoyed Art Malik as Kamran Shah and the rest of the Afghan Mujahideen, those guys are fun. Though they should have ditched the bullet vests when they got to the concert at the end of the film but who the hell cares? I love those guys.

The action is really cool to look at it. It's energetic, epic and enjoyable to the max. I definitely recommend this one.

2. MarianaTCdreams

MarianaTCdreams Barbarian

Movie-Brat, your video sounds interesting. It sounds like you enjoyed it a lot. :)
    ____

The last movie that I watched was Food, Inc. It was a movie that traced the origins of processed foods, and the consequences that went along with it. For some reason, there was a lot of corn involved. :eek: I can't give Food, Inc. a score because it's more of a documentary, and it includes killing animals for food, which people may not enjoy (As Jaga mentioned in one episode, the sword will never obey an order to destroy wantingly, [Lion-O]).

3. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat Berserker

Just today...

Cool Runnings - 8/10

I throughly enjoyed it. It's a fun and inspiring flick. I liked the characters, I liked the humor and yes, there are cliches like the typical a-hole character but they actually turned that on its head at the end. That's what I liked. In fact, I liked the performances by Doug E. Doug, John Candy and Malik Yoba. Actually, it's hard to choose because I like the five main players of the film. Cinematography and editing are well done, fast paced and stylized; very well done. I say, give it a watch. I recommend it.

The Spy Who Loved Me - 9/10

This is regarded as one of the best Bond films by legions of fans. And quite frankly, I can see why.

This was memorable and exciting from beginning to end. Roger Moore was very good as James Bond, Barbara Bach is well, sexy and cool. Richard Kiel as Jaws, obviously the best henchman for a villain. There are geniuene funny moments all around, the action's great and I like the production design. Plus, I do like the theme song and the opening credits. Very trippy I got to say, it's like a moving painting. Overall, it's a very well done action piece and it's one I highly recommend seeing.

4. Lady Ocelli

Lady Ocelli Shadowspy

The last movie Slithor and I saw in the theature was "John Carter" and we both loved it. It's a shame Disney didn't create any action figures or play sets as tie-ins. This deserved a better promotion than the one it got. :mad:

5. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat Berserker

Technically, Disney wasn't really doing a good job with the marketing in the first place.

6. I had to watch that for my Hospitality Ethics class last year. Am I the only one that got ****ed off at Round Up for their soy beans? Pollen travels but they (Round Up manufacturers) go after the little farmers that use their own soy beans that happens to cross pollinate with the other fields with Round Up soy beans.

There is so much more! Don't get me started about the chickens. I love to eat chicken but what the hell..........some things are just not right.

7. Osbert

Osbert Active Member

The last movie I watched was The Muppets. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anybody that will listen to me :P

8. Lady Ocelli

Lady Ocelli Shadowspy

LOL, I've already pre-ordered the DVD. :cool:

9. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat Berserker

Last night, I watched Licence to Kill.

Before Die Another Day, this was considered as low as the James Bond franchise could get and it seems nowadays, your mileage may vary at least from what I can tell. I can see why on both sides of the spectrum. I can see why people called it a lazy attempt at following the 80's action movie-Miami Vice feel while I can see why others like it for its attempt at making a darker Bond movie.

Let's get the negatives out of the way first, as I said; I can see how this was a lazy attempt to follow the Miami Vice feel and other action movies that came out at the time like Lethal Weapon 2. So, at times it didn't feel like a Bond film and only did when the music started or the stunts like the climax and the water skiing scene with the plane. Its major crime? It's bland. I appreciate their effort at making a darker Bond film but because of what it was trying to do in terms of what was "hip" at the time, it comes off as a little "ho-hum" or "meh."

On the positive side, Dalton was still good as James Bond. Soto and Lowell were sexy and can act. Robert Davi was pretty good as Sanchez. For some reason when I saw him, he reminded me of Ratigan and as such, I expected him to snap in anger near the end. He was just calm and confident more so than Dr. No that he was so sure he'd win and had enough people on his side to accomplish his goals. I also like that Desmond Llewelyn had more screen time as Q rather than just appear at the beginning, give him the gadgets and that's that (though his disguise near the climax screams "insensitively steroetypical"). The action is also cool, very well done I got to say though flipping the tanker truck on its side is pushing it.

Overall, not the worst film I've seen from the series or movies in general as I give it a 5/10. Nice try but better luck next tim but I suggest watching it if you're bored and have nothing to do or if you like dark 80's action films or just looking for at least remotely entertaning.

10. Lord Slithor

Lord Slithor Mutant

I totally missed out on the Timothy Dalton Bond movies, so I have no idea how good they are. But at least this gives me some idea.

Personally, I liked Die Another Day. Looking back, it was the last gasp of the traditional Bond formula as we knew it before Daniel Craig came along and the franchise went all dark and realistic.

For me, the last movie I saw with Ocelli was Your Highness. It came out last year in theaters, but I missed it. It looked funny to me, but it got so many negative reviews that it disincentivised me into going out and seeing it. But I had recorded it off HBO when they showed it, so I figured why not give it a look?

And you know what? It was actually pretty freaking hilarious! If you like a movie that makes fun of the classic Fantasy tropes, and your sense of humor runs along the lines of, say, Family Guy, then you're in for a treat. The movie was written by and starred Danny McBride (of the HBO series Eastbound and Down) and James Franco as two brothers who are princes, with Franco being your textbook valiant hero-type always off on a quest while McBride is his slacker brother.

Franco has just returned from his latest quest with the typical virgin princess he has just rescued (Zooey Deschanel). But she is almost immediately re-kidnapped by the evil wizard who...well...wants to do something really disgusting with her. Against his will, McBride goes along with Franco, and along the way they meet another questing hero, Isabelle (Natalie Portman), and all three of them end up having to join forces.

I remember the thing people talked about the most was Portman's involvement with this movie. "She just won an Oscar for Black Swan, and she follows it up with this?" But she's really good in it, and I could tell she had a lot of fun in the movie, as did everybody else who was in it.

So like I said, if you like a good adult-oriented Fantasy comedy, this one's pretty good. I recommend it!:thumbsup:

11. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat Berserker

Of the two Dalton Bond movies, I personally recommend The Living Daylights. Great action, great music, all that jazz.

And I've been wanting to see Your Highness for a while but I missed out on it and in its place I saw Paul.

12. Lord Slithor

Lord Slithor Mutant

I really liked Paul. If you liked that, then you'll like Your Highness. :)

13. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat Berserker

What did get my interest in the film was that it was entirely improvised, dialogue-wise really. They were given an outline of the scripts and the actors came up with the dialogue themselves.

14. red laser

red laser Junior Member

Masters of the Universe on dvd it's been so long since I saw it.

15. CodeofThundera

CodeofThundera Moderator

Mirror Mirror

I abosluted ADORED this movie! If you love fairy tales and happily ever afters with a nice combination of comedy and adventure, then you'll love this movie too! At least I think so. It was extremely well cast. I've seen this movie now twice in the theaters and I totally recommend it! :thumbsup:

16. Lord Slithor

Lord Slithor Mutant

Ocelli and I just saw The Cabin in the Woods. Great movie! It was directed by Drew Goddard, who did Cloverfield, and was written by Joss Whedon.

I've been a fan of Whedon's work since Buffy and Angel. But I'm not one of those rabid fans who say "OMG!!! Firefly was, like teh best EVAR!!!1!!" In fact, I tend to think Firefly is kind of overrated, although Serenity was a very good movie.

Same with Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. I don't know why, but I just didn't like it. I thought that, along with Dollhouse which really wasn't very good either, had him stumbling for a bit there. So my faith in him had been shaken for the last several years.

But Cabin in the Woods is Whedon firing on all cylinders. Between this and The Avengers coming out next month, I'd say he's back in top form.:)

Can't say too much else for fear of spoiling the movie (even though the ads sort of already did that, but there's still a bit more going on). But really, if you like Horror and Science Fiction and enjoy Whedon's postmodern, deconstructionist take on those genres, it's well worth your time. :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  17. Lady Ocelli

Lady Ocelli Shadowspy

All I'll add is that is that this movie twists from one plot point to another and keeps you guessing until the end. :p + :D

18. Movie-Brat

Movie-Brat Berserker

Recently I watched GoldenEye.

GoldenEye is considered to be one of the best films in the franchise and the very film to relaunch Bond into the mainstream and it's easy to see why. It's a well made, decently paced action film. Pierce Brosnan made a great Bond, he embodies elements of Sean Connery, Roger Moore and Timothy Dalton so I can understand the reasoning why people would consider him their favorite version of the character and maybe as the definitive take on the character before Daniel Craig came along. He looked the part and acted the part given the script.

Sean Bean made for a terrific villain. I like that his motivation was more personal than just simply destroy the world to start a new civilization. It makes for good drama and made for an interesting dynamic for the film. Not to mention he has one of the best villain deaths in film.

Izabella Scorupco made a good Bond girl, the material she was given helped her acting and the character herself was competent.

Everyone else did their job well and really, I can't gush enough about the casting in this movie.

The action is one of the best I've seen, the music is alright but nothing memorable and maybe one or two CGI effects didn't look good but all in all, it's a pretty good Bond flick. I give it a ten out of ten.

19. KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas Glass Walker

Cabin in The Woods: Excellent and bizarre horror movie, the best horror film of the year and Whedon is a genius.

Oliver and Company: Who remembers this movie? I saw this in theaters when i was 6 about 4 times when it first came out in 88 and i had merchandise like a readalong book with cassette, the soundtrack on CD (my first CD which i still own), stuffed Oliver, Mcdonalds finger puppets, Mcdonalds singing Ornaments, coloring books, junior novel, 3 t-shirts, PJs, a jar with Oliver and Dodger on it and that sort of thing. A shame it was never released on video the next year as when i moved to my new city of Albuquerque, i asked my city's video stores if it will come to video and they didn't know. It took 7 years to get to video and it finally did, i did saw the re-issue in junior high and bought the video the first day before going on my usual since 89 trips to Las Vegas. One of my fave disney films and has a fantastic soundtrack by Billy Joel and Huey Lewis.

Battle Royale theatrical and director's cuts on R1 Blu-Ray: After owning the original R0 DVD since 2003, it's finally on R1 Blu-Ray and DVD from Anchor Bay to cash-in on the similar themed "Hunger Games". This is my favorite Sci-fi movie of the last decade! an awesome Japanese film set in the future where junior high kids are against adults in the school system as they must be forced to be on an island for 3 days as they have to slaughter each other until one person wins the game, however 2 lovers don't want to play in the game as they have to find a way out of the island. Gruesome, bloody, action packed and smart as well, this is a motion picture about a fascist future gone wrong. I highly recommend it!

20. CodeofThundera

CodeofThundera Moderator

Oliver and Company was my favorite animated Disney movie when I was a kid. I remember there being a lot of hype and merchandise associated with its release. It's the only Disney movie in which I ended up getting a lot of stuff - Oliver and Company mugs, sweater, stuffed animals, etc...