The Origins of Mumm-Ra

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by ThunderTomCat, Jul 20, 2015.

1. ThunderTomCat

ThunderTomCat New Member

I grew up watching the original ThunderCats series and loved it (STILL DO)!. However these days only the most general themes that make ThunderCats what it is stand out in my mind. That’s why I was so excited to be immersed in the re-imagined world of the 2011 series. The new series invoked all of the old feelings, but with a new more fully realized world.

Which brings me to the topic at hand. Ever since seeing the episode “Legacy”, I’ve been wondering about the greater history of the 2011 ThunderCats universe. After completing the series I’ve formulated a theory on the history of Mumm-Ra, the “animals”, and the fate of humanity!

----------

I believe that Mumm-Ra is the last remaining human in the universe. Through a combination of science and sorcery Mumm-Ra has survived some great cataclysm that befell mankind centuries or even millennia ago.

Now the origin of the animals is a little less certain. They could be animals evolved into sentient human form or perhaps Mumm-Ra isn’t the last human and the “animals” are genetic descendants spawned from humanity. That would make Mumm-Ra the only pure human left, though an ancient decaying one. Either way, as we know he is without a doubt the master of the animals and uses them to achieve his own ends.

Perhaps Mumm-Ra was even the cause of humanity's fall. He has shown himself to be quite knowledgeable of science and sorcery beyond ours and pretty much everyone else in the ThunderCats’ universe abilities. If it weren’t for the animals uniting to overthrow him, who knows what he would have become. Certainly a singularly powerful entity with the only thing stronger being the ethereal Ancient Spirits of Evil, who I might add, he has probably sold his soul too.

Which leads to my final conclusion. I believe Mumm-Ra was a great human scientist who discovered a way to wield sorcery (through the Ancient Spirits of Evil). Ultimately in his quest for knowledge or power, he sold his soul to the Ancient Spirits and as a result doomed humanity to extinction.

----------

I’ve been dying to share this with someone for months now. Hopefully everyone enjoys my theory and will be as excited as I am to engage in a speculative discussion. I look forward to seeing what everyone thinks and even reading different takes on the possible history.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Lynx-O

Lynx-O Glass Walker

That is an interesting theory and sounds pretty cool. I commend you. As for me personally I like the history of Mumm-Ra given in the Wildstorm comics which I have read. Here is the story of Mumm-Ra I am referring to... (copied from ThunderCats Wiki);

His origins take place in Ancient Egypt where Mumm-Ra was once Wahankh, a member of the pharaoh’s council and his most loyal adviser. We can also see Wahankh’s dog, Ma-Tep (the future Ma-Mutt). The friendship made with the pharaoh was so close and enduring that the sovereign actually considered him as part of his family.

However, Wahankh's real aim was to overthrow the royal power of his pharaoh in a coup d'état and become the ruler of the land. To achieve his goal, he invoked the presence of the Ancient Spirits of Evil for the first time by using four magical runes, representing each one the four evil beings. Once the spirits appeared, he requested a small part of their power in order to defeat the powerful pharaoh’s army. In exchange, he would rule all Egypt in their name as a humble servant. The Ancient Spirits agreed to help him and Wahankh was invested with evil powers, becoming an immortal sorcerer and demon-priest in their service while his entire body mutated into a cadaverous grey form. Finally, a new name was given to him: Mumm-Ra.

Knowing about this betrayal, the pharaoh immediately faced the monstrous and grotesque being. Trusting his new powers, Mumm-Ra ordered the pharaoh to bow down and proclaimed himself the new master of the realm. Nonetheless, the pharaoh’s son confronted him and quickly managed to outmaneuver Mumm-Ra in battle, defeating him.

Without being aware that Mumm-Ra was actually immortal, the pharaoh spared him the fate of dying at the stake for his treachery. Considering all his years of service, the pharaoh instead granted him a merciful, religious death being locked as a mummy in an onyx pyramid’s giant burial chamber. The pharaoh's son, knowing about Mumm-Ra's never-ending life, took joy in imprisoning him for (seemingly) all eternity. In the darkness, Mumm-Ra begged for the help of the Ancient Spirits once again, but they denied it due to his incompetence in using those powers they had previously granted him. Instead, they ordered him to build four large statues on the chamber to praise them, a task that would take at least 600 years to be accomplished. Only then they would grant him the power to break free by turning into an eternal and overwhelming warrior, capable of defeating any pharaoh.

Here is Wahankh before he becomes Mumm-Ra and the dog will become Mahmut.
    [​IMG]

3. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Mumm-Ra's a mystery for sure, but it's what makes him a compelling character.

4. ThunderTomCat

ThunderTomCat New Member

Very cool background! I had no idea this was explored in the WS comics. Definitely need to track those down.

5. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

I have to be honest; this whole "Third Earth is our world in the future" thing, it just doesn't feel like it fits to me.

6. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I like the Third Earth storyline, actually.

7. Lynx-O

Lynx-O Glass Walker

I always felt that third Earth being our Earth in the future was always implied in the original series. Not outright but implied in subtle ways. I recall seeing a a discussion about it a few years back on here, so I looked for it and dug it up. In regards to the cartoon speaking on it check this thread out started by Bengali back in 2007... http://thundercats.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2390

8. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

In addition to it being inferred in the original series, I believe Starr has made comments about it as well. In fact I believe there is reference to it in the "Hear the Roar" book (which I would wildly recommend by the way).

9. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

I always thought the Third Erath of the OS was our Earth in the past (Mummies, Amazons, Unicorns...)

10. ThunderTomCat

ThunderTomCat New Member

That does seem to make sense in the OS, but for 2011 it definitely seems like it's a different planet (which I prefer).

11. Tygra_Rules

Yes, I was talking about the OS. In the NS, it was definitely (at least to me) a different planet.

12. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

Just a theory, but, what if the NS' Third Earth is our in an alternate timeline? Mumm-Ra's ship landed on the planet when humanity should have been getting on its feet and, since the animals were more advanced, it was them who built the mighty cities and empires and the human race, while still sapient in its own way, was scattered all about, with little chance of becoming dominant over the animals. Like i said though, it's just a theory

13. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

In an interview Starr stated the following:

"Third Earth, which was what remained of Earth after two nuclear holocausts."

http://www.cheezey.org/thundercats/thundercats_interview.htm

14. ThunderTomCat

ThunderTomCat New Member

That's an interesting theory and would be really cool to see explored further. Man I'm so bummed the show didn't even get a second season!

15. Tygra_Rules

16. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

No problem. I guess I can see why they cut any mention of it from the show as to not expose the topic to children. Although even as a child I believe I would have found it pretty cool!

17. Dragon78

Dragon78 Barbarian

In the OS I thought it was earth in the future.
    In the 2011 series I thought of it as a different planet.

18. catamountain

catamountain Moleman

I think both series' are in a post apocalyptic version of our world. Just different takes on a dystopian future