The Title: Lord of the ThunderCats - Old and New

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by srebak, Sep 1, 2014.

1. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

In the Thundercats franchise, the Title: Lord of the Thundercats, has always been a title with great weight and significance. But for the longest time now, it felt like they had two somewhat different meanings in the two Thundercats shows.

In the Original Show, it never really felt like it was anything more than, say, a military rank, at least to me. The way they used the title in the episodes i used to watch, you'd think that it was just a name that they gave to whomever became leader of the TCats. And Cat's Lair was basically just the stereotypical superhero base, not a home suitable for anyone of nobility. It wasn't until i started reading the comics that learned how "Royal" the title really was.

In the New Series however, it was made perfectly clear right off the bat that being the Lord of the Thundercats meant being the King of the Thundercats, complete with control over an army, royal servants and everything. And Cat's Lair was quite literally a palace fit for a King.

2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I never really cared if the title of Lord of the ThunderCats meant royalty.

3. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

I understand what your getting at, although I dont share your point of view on the original series. The original series never really (maybe on occassion:D) used King or Royalty, but rather Lord and Nobility.

I think that the New Show had a little more room, episodes 1 &2, to flesh out the royal family and overall class system of the Kingdom of ThunDera. The Original Show starts of with just the 8 characters, so there is no "physical" evidence of royalty, status, nobility or whatever, it's just mentioned. All in all I did feel the weight of the title in the OS, and thought it was handled beautifully, but yes, the NS did a little more with it. :)

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I personally thought that the title had more meaning an significance in the OS in comparison to the NS. As in the NS even though Lion-o was Lord the others did not respect or obey him until near the end of the series.

5. Daremonger

The Lion-O of the classic series started out as the hereditary Lord of the ThunderCats, and the anointment trials had him fight against his fellows and best Mumm-Ra in battle unarmed, and that was when he TRULY became the Lord of the ThunderCats.

6. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

I always felt like it was a royal position in the OS as well. Otherwise why would the title be hereditary? Even though Grune proved that it wasn't always in the same family line, Lion-O obviously inherited the title from his father.

7. Daremonger

It appears to be a tradition in the Thunderian lion clan to hold the title of lordship.

8. NuudoruNoMasho

NuudoruNoMasho Berbill

If "lord of the thundercats" in the OS didn't quite feel like a "kingly" position right off, it certainly did when they presented him with a faffing cape and a giant Durpy hat-crown-thing at the culmination of the anointment trials. ^^0

They respect the royal position in both. The Position is held maybe in a higher regard in the NS. However, FAMILY isn't respected in the same way in both. (well.... it kind of is...But not.... But is....) Anywho, In the OS the other Thundercats cared about Lion-o DESPITE his being their lord. In the NS the title comes first, and him as a person comes second. And as much as I can't stand the little puke (not sure why... I love the person who acts like him in the old version.... Kay maybe I know why) I understand the little puke's sorry position. There is NO ONE who cares about him as a person.... except snarf, who can't tell him so.

The Contrast is intriguing. If people like you as a person, Kingship rocks. If not, it sucks. Kind of like being in charge means nothing without friiiiiendship.^^ And now I wanna watch Sugar Sugar Rune.

9. Daremonger

It was weird that in the NS Lion-O as a person was second to his title.