The "What was the Last Movie You Watched?" Thread

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by Mark / Grizzlor, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Berbill

Eh, I'd have to say yes and no to that. Animated movies in hi-def are the bomb... regular movies, well... you can see more detail, but you can also see just how much make-up can't cover on various actors and actresses.

One bad thing is that alot of movies out there were never filmed in hi-def originally. Remastering is nice, but the quality of upcoded movies varies quite a bit.

2. MannysCollectibles

MannysCollectibles Legacy Team Member

You really wouldnt believe how good Casablanca looks on HD, its perhaps the one black and white film that you could use for presentation purposes. Its really amazing how a lot of these movies that are 50+ years old look like they were made a few years ago. 2001: A space Odyssey looks stunning, its like hi-def has breathed new life into the older movies

3. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Berbill

Casablanca on HD-DVD... hmm, going to have to check that out.

Matrix trilogy was ok, but with HD and a 80" screen, you can really see just how crater faced Keanu Reeves really is.

But you're right, older movies stand out. Watching The Searchers and Rio Bravo, was like watching a whole new movie.

The Godfather triology... well, given the classic material, and the upcoding job they did... as Don Vito Corleone best said, "What have I ever done to make you to treat me so disrespectfully."

4. catspat

catspat also known as...Leppardra

I have a question, MannyC. What do I do now that DVDs will go Blu-Ray? I don't know if my computer is up to handling that. Will we all have to get new computers and DVD players? Or will there be an adjustment that a computer technician can make? Or a software program we can download on our current computers to make them able to play Blu-Ray DVDs? :?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  5. MannysCollectibles

DVD's will still get released, matter of fact you wont see DVD's go away for many many years. Blu-Ray is just basically the hi-definition version of movies. Basically DVD and Blu-ray are two different formats, kind of like cassette tapes and CD's and you wont have to replace your current player.

Problem is if you want to enjoy hi definition movies you will need a Blu-ray player or a Playstation 3 plus upgrading to an HDTV.

No need to worry about whats going on. Blu-ray is a niche format right now like Laserdisc once was

6. catspat

Unfortunately, this is not what the people at my local Best Buys store said. I was shown HD DVD players that were going to be returned to their manufacturers, so Blu-Ray is taking over much faster than we thought, and HD DVDs will be going the way of the dinosaurs just as quickly. I'll have enough on my hands when TV goes digital next year, so I'm apparently going to have to look into getting an affordable Blu-Ray player when the time comes. :(

7. MannysCollectibles

Or buy a Playstation 3 which is currently the best player and best deal around plus you can play video games on it ;) not only that but the Playstation 3 is almost like a mini computer as I put it. Also with the Blu-Ray player you will be able to play your regular DVD's...upconverted might I say ;) as well as playing Blu-Ray discs, browsing the internet, etc. Its a win-win situation if you buy a standalone player/ Playstation 3. The best option right now is via PS 3, heck you can even hook up an external hard drive and play music stored in it.

I despise people at Best Buy because they will do anything to take your money, they will offer you a $100 HDMI cable and make you think thats what you NEED when in actuallity their HDMI cables...even their cheapest one at like $40 will work just as good as your $10 HDMI cables that could be found at places like www.monoprice.com

if you need any advice, any whatsoever when it comes to players, TV's etc. dont hesitate to post hre or contact me. Those guys at Best Buy are EVIL

8. Diego

Diego Moleman

Back on topic.

Yesaterday I went to watch Cloverfield, got my tickets and everything.

Then me and my best mate were sat in the cinema when the film started and saw the title

"There will be blood"

So basically we had walked into the wrong screen. Well since we don't pay (cine-card holders), we decided to stay in and watch the film.

To rate the film all I have to say is, if you like drama's you'll like this film. And when I say drama I mean drama, not this sissy I love you crap that's taken a hold of the movie world, proper cold nasty drama set in the wild west following the life of an oil baron.

Hopefully next week I can comment on Cloverfield (though will not say anything about the monster).

9. Chromeagle

Chromeagle Barbarian

In the theater it was Rambo 4 a week after it came out, and just yesterday I watched Rambo 2 for about the 100th time(huge Rambo fan)

10. Originalthundercatroar

Originalthundercatroar Vortex Explorer

I watched Johnny Knoxville's J****** II the unrated version. It made the first one look like an innocent child's first day at kindergarten.

Funny, one part almost made literally physically ill, but its like a car crash. You don't want to look buy you do anyway.

Not for children or Wollos needless to say.

11. Bengali

Bengali Rampager

Just gave cgi TMNT a chance and I actually somewhat enjoyed it. I got used to the turtles new design as the movie went on. 7.5/10 for me.

12. MannysCollectibles

Gone baby Gone on Blu-Spray...excellent movie, a must buy

13. catspat

The Other Boleyn Girl: I saw this movie yesterday at my local cineplex and came out of the screening room mentally ticking off at least a dozen things wrong with it. For starters, Philippa Gregory's novel covered so much terrain that the movie version could have been longer than just under 2 hours, but so many things in the book were changed for the film that someone unfamiliar with the story would have had a hard time understanding it. They showed Mary Boleyn having only one boy by Henry VIII when in the novel she had a girl and a boy with him, but they may have been keeping with what has been historically guessed about the male baby (I've seen Henry Carey's portrait and I believe that he was undoubtedly the king's son). In the movie, Anne Boleyn was packed off to France as a punishment for secretly marrying an already-engaged Lord Henry Percy. In actuality, her father, Sir Thomas Boleyn, brought her home from France several years before she met Percy; she was banished to her ancestral home of Hever Castle for her indiscretion. There's no historical proof that Henry VIII ever forcibly raped Anne, as shown in the film. The movie had Anne and her brother George deciding not to sleep together to conceive Anne's desperately needed son; in the novel they did and Anne later miscarried of a grossly deformed baby boy. The book's subplot about George Boleyn's love affair with courtier Sir Francis Weston was dropped. But the film's biggest omission was in not showing Mary's first husband, William Carey, dying from the feared sweating sickness; he simply disappeared with no explanation, making it look like Mary dumped him for William Stafford, the man who became her second husband. The story kept Anne Boleyn as the elder of the two sisters, and Natalie Portman did a creditable job portraying her. But Scarlett Johansson's Mary Boleyn was so watered down and one-note that she was the most boring character in the movie. I know they were showing the different personalities of the sisters, but in the book Mary showed the famous Boleyn temper when she clashed with the fiery Anne. Eric Bana was okay as Henry VIII, but just okay. On the upside, though, the scenery, sets, and costumes were as beautiful as I knew they'd be. I hope that when this movie comes out on DVD, there will be also an extended version containing the missing elements to make the story more complete. :bengali:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  14. The Game Plan

It was a pretty laid back fun movie, but nothing to go all excited about.

15. thunderkittensmom

thunderkittensmom Active Member

MannyC, the thunderkitten and I actually went to the movie theater (haven't done that in a long time) and watched "Horton Hears A Who" which was a very cute movie. It was the thunderkittens first time ever in a movie theater and she did great!

We also watched "Bee-Movie" on DVD, which was ok, not the greatest movie, but still entertaining. Oh and we watched "Enchanted" on BluRay...it was actually a nice movie...I really didn't want to watch it at first, but it turned out to be a very nice family movie.

@catspat

I am really glad that you gave a review of "The Other Boleyn Girl"...I really wanted to go to the theaters and see this one, but now I will save the money and just wait till it comes out on DVD. I love novels like that and hate it when they get it all wrong in the movies.

Take care,

Nadja

16. Davea2774

Davea2774 Junior Member

Just saw August Rain its a great movie.