Thundercats artwork

Discussion in 'ThunderCats Collector's Showcase' started by bronty, Apr 19, 2014.

1. bronty

bronty Junior Member

Hi,

I always enjoyed thundercats but don't have a huge collection of the toys. I do have a few pieces of art and was looking for a place to post art, but I don't really see a section other than this one.

I like this LionO / Sword of Omens painting, which was the cover of one of the Thundercats VHS tapes (the Wolfrat).

It was created by (unfortunately now deceased) friend and talented artist Greg Martin. If you want to read more about Greg, see http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=117907

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the artwork. Would love to see what other artwork posters here might have.

EDIT:the forum seems to have stretched the jpg on one dimension giving it a weird look. It can be seen unaltered here: http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1118874&GSub=153528

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  2. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

Beautiful piece!

3. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

That Wolfrat piece is epic!

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Beautiful piece. He was a very talented artist.

5. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Very nicely done!

6. bronty

bronty Junior Member

Thanks guys. Here's a Mumm-ra piece to share. I think this one was used on the back cover of one of the early VHS tapes, IIRC. HOpefully this one won't get stretched out by the forums like the last one.

EDit:
    BAH!

Does anyone know why they get stretched out like that?

Here's a link to the unaltered image

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u630/sealed99/TCats2_zps56e94730.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  7. eternian phoeni

eternian phoeni Moleman

Very very cool, thanks so much for sharing!

8. bronty

bronty Junior Member

Thanks. One of the things I like the best is the scale. They are two feet tall and you can see brushstrokes, etc.

9. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Beautiful. I really enjoy the depiction of Mumm-ra.

10. bronty

bronty Junior Member

Thanks. I found the published version:

[​IMG]

11. Daremonger

The mummy Mumm-Ra artwork is a total stunner.

12. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Fantastic art pieces!!! :thumbsup: Congratulations for having such rare and magnificent items in your collection. :)

13. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

AMAZING pieces!!!

14. bronty

bronty Junior Member

thanks guys. Was trying to avoid 'blowing my load' too quick here but I do have this one too :)

[​IMG]

15. Daremonger

The two Panthros' wristbands and arm rings are colored wrong -- they're supposed to be silver.

16. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

These art works are really great, I love Greg Martin's style. I Googled him he was responsible for a lot of memorable imagery from my childhood, particularly video game covers.

The pack he received as reference for creating the VHS covers was on eBay recently. I was outbid, but it looked to be a nice set of images. Anyone on here win it?

17. Daremonger

Wouldn't it be great to see a "ThunderCats 1985" project animated in Japan that emulates Greg Martin's style?

18. bronty

bronty Junior Member

Hi, neat, would you mind pm'img me a link? Thx!

Thx for your kind words about Greg. He was terrific artist I was proud to be friends with. Sad he is gone.
    Merged Post:
    Illustrators are or were given style guides to follow that include(d) color notes. It can be a style guide error or revision or the illustrators mistake but they were generally pretty careful to follow the guides they were given. A painting like this was a week's work and no one wants to start over for free or have the client turf them! So more often than not if that's the color it was painted that's what the client suggested at the time

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Bronty what exactly are these images painted on and what medium was used?

20. bronty

bronty Junior Member

Hi Mark

They are are painted on illustration board which is like this thick, stable, chemically stable stuff. Picture a paper type product but so stiff that it feels stiff almost like a light wood while being much lighter than that. More of a substantial type product as it's say 1/4 inch thick.

This is a common thing for illustrators to have painted on since at least the 70s. Maybe earlier? The brand name you see probably most often is Crescent.

The paintings themselves are airbrushed acrylic. This was the way most painted commercial illustrations were done from the late 70s to at least the mid 90s (at which point digital became overtaking the industry). In the 70s there was a big technical improvement in the airbrush so artist were able to great a really great look with it.

So all the movie posters and VHS covers and album covers and stuff u saw growing up was done this way. I'll post one that was unfinished and in progress to help you understand
    Merged Post:
    As far as scale they are prob 3x or 4x as long as a VHS box and 3x or 4x wide. So much larger than the finished product which helps pack in detail. This was pretty normal too

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014