Thundercats artwork

Discussion in 'ThunderCats Collector's Showcase' started by bronty, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Thank you for all the info Bronty. :D
    I have heard of illustration board before but I have never used it. All of my art work is just on regular canvas. I can't say I have ever tried using an airbrush either.
    I would like to try doing some illustration work.

2. bronty

bronty Junior Member

Very welcome Mark. Are you an artist then?

So here is an unfinished one to help you understand the process.

An airbrush will get you amazing, unparalelled ability to blend colors and not show brush strokes, because, well, there aren't any. So you can do a seamless blend of sky color from light blue to dark blue without any brush strokes at all in a way that is just absolutely perfect (in the right hands of course).

The downside of this is that you can't get a hard edge to anything. This is where its helpful to think about painting your house. If you are painting your house with a spray gun instead of a manual brush, well, what happens? You need to mask the hard edges where you don't want paint, like the baseboards. Same thing with the airbrush, the way you get a hard edge is by masking. So with that in mind, look at the painting below that is midstream.

You can tell where he's painted, where he has masked, etc.

Also since the paint is sort of opaque you can spray one color on top of the other once dry. So you spray all your light colors first, then the darker colors can be sprayed on top if desired. So you are building up the picture as you go, and you end with this really complicated masking process, but the end result is beautiful and reproduces onto the product far better than a traditional painting would.

Now, someone who is an actual artist that has used this method might have more info but this is what I picked up from talking to Greg and others.

Lastly, notice scale, all the way to the countertop, these things are big.

[​IMG]

here's a copy of the finished product from ebay

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yes Bronty I am an artist although I am not earning enough to make a full time living from it LOL. I mainly just do fine art pieces, landscapes and portraits. I have sold work all over Ireland and the United Kingdom and a few pieces to the United States, California to be exact. Lately I have started doing some fantasy pieces and some anime based pieces.

I would love to get an airbrush and give it a try. I had some experience doing complicated masking when making screen prints.

Thanks again for all the info and pics. :D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  4. bronty

bronty Junior Member

Anytime. Good luck with the art!

5. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I dig the Pac-Man art!

6. bronty

bronty Junior Member

Here's Trouble with Time

[​IMG]

7. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

That is a thing of beauty. Yuo're very luck to have these in your collection, and it's good they've ended up with someone who really appreciates them.

8. bronty

bronty Junior Member

I could look at them all day.

thank you. Might have one or two more to share later.

9. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Wow, that does look amazing. Congrats on owning such a splendid piece!

10. Daremonger

Tygra truly looks like he's doing his thing in this piece.

11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That truly is a beautiful piece. It would be interesting to know how he achieved the outline whilst using an airbrush.
    That background is especially beautiful, it reminds me of Frank Frazetta's work.

12. bronty

bronty Junior Member

You might not be that far off the mark on that one.

Although Greg's style couldn't be further from Frazetta, he was a huge fan of Frazetta's. Literally the first thing Greg did after getting his first few paying jobs was go out and contact Frank and buy a few of his originals including a preliminary color sketch of this piece http://www.pinterest.com/pin/444308319458768768/ and several Johnny Comet pages.

A few of Greg's earliest pieces had direct references/ homages to Frazetta, and while I wasn't aware of anything like that after the first year or two of his career, now that you mention it I can't help but be reminded of this Frazetta piece from Eerie magazine.

Did Greg have this piece in mind when he created Trouble With Time? Entirely possible. Probable?

Then again, there's only so many ways to paint a T-Rex, so its hard to say for sure, but I'd say its a strong possibility. If you had said the words "T-Rex" and "Frazetta" to Greg, he would have instantly understood that the reference was Eerie 5 - as do I, which is one of the reasons we got along so great. He certainly knew every major painting Frank had ever done and Eerie 5 would have come to his mind instantly IF he was looking to get a Frazetta reference on a T-Rex.

[​IMG]
    Merged Post:
    Sorry what outline?

Keep in mind. Airbrush pieces - even when full airbrush - will always have a little actual manual brush work on top. It makes figure outlines easier and quicker than monkeying around with the airbrush. Airbrush is great for FIELDS of color but it sucks for outlines. Those are manually painted on top of the airbrush elements/fields.

The foliage in the case of Trouble with Time would be 100% fully painted with traditional brushes, you don't get that look with airbrush. On the other hand, Tygra would be all airbrush except for his outline. So, this piece will have less airbrush than most.

The point is, no painting is ever 100% airbrush. It might be 95% or it might be 50% like Trouble with Time is, but its never going to be 100%.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The outline I meant was the darker shade of colour going around the figures. But I realise those must just have been painted by hand, for some reason I just though you meant all of the figure was done by airbrush. It should have been obvious to me that when the background is brush painted other bits would be also LOL.

The background of the Tygra painting reminds me a lot of Frazetta's 'Escape on Venus'.
    [​IMG]

14. bronty

bronty Junior Member

right and fraz used that style of background on others like the catwoman paintings too.

was greg looking at those? Impossible to say but I wouldn't rule it out. Maybe there was some loose inspiration but at the same time he was his own artist as well.

15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It's a real shame Greg passed away, he was a great artist. :( I must research some more of his work. His work also reminds me of Boris Vallejo.
    You are really lucky to have those pieces, especially that Tygra one.:tygra:

16. Daremonger

Is there a way for all of Greg Martin's artwork to be fully restored?

17. bronty

bronty Junior Member

What do you mean? I don't quite follow
    Merged Post:
    You're not going to find a ton except for an obituary I wrote in January that then got picked up or quoted from by a ton of gaming sites. Since illustrators like Greg often don't get to sign their work as part of the contract, their fame usually comes much later. In Greg's case sadly only after his death.

If you want to see the obit to to nintendoage.com and see the 'RIP Greg Martin' thread. I listed out a bunch if the work he's done there but I need to go back and finish fleshing it out

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  18. Daremonger

Artwork tends to lose color quality as time goes on. I believe that, with delicacy and care, it can be restored to its original state. :)

19. bronty

bronty Junior Member

I appreciate the thought but

A) the work is not faded and
    B) once faded its irreversible

so I don't quite follow what you mean.

Light damage is cumulative and irreversible so these things are best kept in the dark or behind uv or museum glass. In Greg's case he had blackout curtains on his house. A little extreme, but the work is fresh as a daisy as a result. If you are seeing color differences then I assure you it's not fading. The mass produced items were rarely completely true to the color of the originals, partly as a result if the printing process and partly because the client might decide to 'dial up' one of the primary colors (most items like this were printed with four inks CMYB (cyan/magenta/yellow/black) which is basically the three primary colors and black. Turn up the dial on any one of those primary colors and you get a look that is not true to the original.

Any kind of 'restoration' of a sunfaded work would basically involve repainting it which is so invasive that it should be avoided wherever possible IMO

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  20. Daremonger

I suppose you're right.