THUNDERCATS by brutikong

Discussion in 'Fan Art & Customs' started by Brutikong, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Brutikong

Brutikong Active Member

Here is the turnaround. I worked on the shoulderpads a bit more and I think I am pretty happy with where it is going.

Daremonger and shortfuse like this.
  2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I am looking forward to seeing Amik printed out to see his scale compared to the LJN figures.

3. Brutikong

Brutikong Active Member

Better video... did some detail work and a base color pass.

Daremonger and shortfuse like this.
  4. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

That is looking stellar! Seriously impressed.

5. Brutikong

Brutikong Active Member

Failure...
    I attempted to print Amok. The first print was a partial success the legs and horns came out fantastic.
    The head and part of his back failed. After cleaning the resin, I attempted the arms and waist, to devastating results. Right arm failed at the wrist, left at the bicep. The waist half way through. There was considerable hashing, so I inspected the tray and found laser burns. Now unusable after only 1 liter of resin.
    After curing the waist I realized the one successful part of the first print is unusable because I misaligned the keys in the leg model.

I am still not sure what caused it. My resin was a sitting in the tray for a two weeks between prints, maybe it was partially coagulated. I also printed at .05MM (Higher resolution than Red-Eye).
    This is how my first Form 1+ behaved right before it took a dive. Took a lot of failed prints and wasted resin and trays, and mirrors before Formlabs replaced it. Not sure I'll be able to get another one a second time around.

It is such a shame the parts that printed looked so good.
    Those are the breaks...
    [​IMG]

Daremonger likes this.
  6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Failures happen. You can always try again. It will look amazing when you finish it.

7. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Sorry to hear about your issues. Don't give up, you are creating something amazing! How much does the resin cost?

8. Brutikong

Brutikong Active Member

The resin costs about 130 and trays 60. What I am concerned is that my laser may be failing.
    But I am not giving up. Just need to change my approach. I will shift over to using an online printing service like shapeways, this will also give me the opportunity to try some of their newer resin materials like High definition black acrylate
    https://www.shapeways.com/blog/arch...-material-black-high-definition-acrylate.html
    Which looks super slick , and will print with less distortion than my home set up.

Mark M likes this.
  9. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Glad to hear that you arent giving up. Your work looks amazing and I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Looks excellent.

11. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I'm pretty impressed.

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Have you ever tried sculpting parts by hand?

13. Brutikong

Brutikong Active Member

I have done traditional sculpting, it is not my preferred media.

14. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I believe in you.

15. Brutikong

Brutikong Active Member

Hello board. 2016 kept me rather busy with my work on Destiny, my 3D printing hobby had to take a back seat. But I am back and resolved to finish this line. I had some issues with AMOK last time I printed it, so I figured let's start back up where I left off. I have redesigned some aspects of him, reworked the anatomy and detailing, and am pretty close to sending it off to Shapeways. I am hoping to get some eyeballs on this and get some feedback from the board to polish off any last bits.
    I am not replicating the original design, more like inspired by.
    Would love to hear your thoughts.
    [​IMG]

16. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

He looks amazing! He is much leaner than the cartoon version, but this makes him look much more menacing.

17. Brutikong

Brutikong Active Member

Thanks adssse .. Quick pose test.
    [​IMG]

18. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Very cool! I particularly like the second pose from the left. The muscle definition and details are amazing.

19. FellowThunderian

FellowThunderian Junior Member

Awesome work Brutikong :cool: Jaga would be proud!

20. Brutikong

Brutikong Active Member

Thanks FellowThunderian
    Been a while since I posted here. That doesn't mean I haven't touched these guys though. I updated my blockout of Grune
    [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]
    And did modelled frogman from episode 117
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017