Thundercats Classics Packaging

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by ninja cat, Mar 24, 2016.

1. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff

Mattel just posted to FB.
    https://www.facebook.com/MattyCollector/

hmmm...they say "Lion-O packaging..." and not Thundercats packaging. weird. Cant imagine they said ok to having the Sword of Omens on everyones package including the mutants and bad guys.

Bio:
    Lord of the Thundercats, Lion-O is a cunning leader known for his great strength and agility. He yields power with the magical heirship of his forefathers, the Sword of Omens, which allows him to see faraway lands and to contact the Thundercats when there is impending danger. Lion-O is also able to avoid perilous situations from the guidance received from Jaga who advises him spiritually. Although Lion-O is ruler, he is a child in a man's body eventually challenged to grow in moral strength through the Code of Thundera-Justice, truth, honor, and loyalty, and Lion-O always succeeds.

Best I could make out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    Roadpigjohn, Daremonger and englishw like this.
  2. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

Looks awesome!

3. Ianm1225

Ianm1225 Moleman

Looks great! I love the packaging, and the figure looks great in these pics too! Glad to see they are putting bios on them!

4. englishw

englishw Junior Member

Very cool! Great design! It should store easily as well as display well. Love it!

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Looks nice but does anyone else find the lack of "Thundercats" text on the front of the package odd?

Also that clawshield still really looks off, it's too big and chunky.

6. cgdc76

cgdc76 Active Member

Looks pretty cool.
    Were all the MOTU packages the same?

7. mr freeze

mr freeze Laser Beast

i'am not to keen on it to be honest . where is the tcats logo for a start ?

8. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

The packaging is cool, but as others have said I was hoping for the classic Thundercats font and logo. Seems a bit odd without it. I do like the large window and the figure looks great! I would be interested to see some of the other characters packaging for comparison. Overall I am totally excited for this line!

9. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

I think the word is heritage. But I'm not sure. "Heirloom" might've fit better actually, but I don't think that's it.

Honestly, I think it's a little too simple. Even something as simple as making the inside background Cat's Lair or something would be better IMO. At the very least I feel like the word "ThunderCats" should be somewhere in the front as well. But at least it looks like it wouldn't be that hard to stack figures for display.

And is it just me or did they get the same guy to do the artwork that did the art for the Mezco packaging?

10. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

Yep. They just flipped it and reworked it a little. Even the strands of hair on the side of his face are the same.

[​IMG]

Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  11. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

It's a bit of a mixed bag for me. I like the simplicity of it and the large viewing area, so people can display in the box. I'm not a fan of the art though, too stylised, and what is going on with the colour of his outfit on the back? I don't know why they can't use art directly from the show, even if it needs to be redrawn. The Cats Lair looks nice though.

Mark M likes this.
  12. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

is there any way to find out if this is the absolute final one or is there room for tweeks?...i wouldnt mind the original thunderats logo/lettering in the front.... actually i think its kinda a must....

13. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

I don't know how near the top Lion-O's head will go in the package, but I had a quick go at modifying the box. It could work out that the banner would obscure his face, but I thought I'd have a go just to see how it might look.
    [​IMG]

14. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

Yeah thats exactly what i was thinking

15. TCatsfan

TCatsfan Glass Walker

I don't have too much of a problem with the packaging. My only thing is as others have said. The Name and logo should be on the front. I like what Booshman has done. If it could come like that I would be happy. I wish they did something like the Club Grayskull packaging. He-Man's logo is in the front as well. Maybe they will still make some tweaks.

Mark M likes this.
  16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Maybe Mattel's reasoning is that since these are only available online the only people buying them are collectors and they know what they are buying so it's not like they need to advertise the brand as if they were on display on a toy isle for children and parents to find.
    Whatever the reasoning, it is very odd. I can't think of any collector orientated lines that did not feature the brands logo on the front of the packaging.

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Great job Boosham.

18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I just hope they put them in neutral poses. I hate figures being packaged in dynamic poses as it usually warps the limbs or weapons.

19. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff

MUCH better! :) I also think the top part of the hilt, just under the blade needs filled in.
    I wonder if they have any rights to old artwork? Everything from the Bandai line used new artwork (understandably), but old stuff would be much better suited for this line. I really like the cartoon image at the bottom of yours.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    Gerrit and Mark M like this.
  20. Ianm1225

Ianm1225 Moleman

Oh I like these tweaks much better! Has anyone shared this with Matty? Looks great! Though in fairness, all of these will end up crushed in my garbage can.

Mark M likes this.