Thundercats Exposed

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Lion-O-hearted, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Lion-O-hearted

Lion-O-hearted Junior Member

After watching "Exodus", one of the things that still sticks in my mind is that in the early scenes of the episode, the Cats are... buck naked.

What I find amazing is that the staff was able to show these characters unclothed in a Saturday morning cartoon. I wonder what they said to the people of the Standards & Practices department: "Animals in the wild are nude; maybe the Thundercats are a wild species as well." What is more amazing is that the people of the S & P gave the green light to have these scenes aired.

We all have probably seen cartoons where an animal character is naturally dressed, but being the fact that in the OS how the Cats are drawn makes them look more human than feline, it makes this all the more stranger. o_O

2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Jaga said that the chosen ThunderCats before him didn't need any clothing.

3. WilyKate

WilyKate Junior Member

Are they really naked, though? Why don't they have any genitals or nipples? I always assumed they were wearing skin-colored clothes.

ThunderECH likes this.
  4. ThunderECH

ThunderECH Junior Member

Protective clothing was what he said I believe.

Daremonger likes this.
  5. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

One thing I always wondered is this: we know why, when and how the TCs got their clothes, but if Jaga didn't know anything about Third erath,so he didn't know what would protect the TCs the best, why did he give them different attairs. The weapons I can undertsnad, so they would complement each other, but wouldn't it have been better/safer/more reasonable to give all the TCs the same clothes, kind of uniformes? Howdid he know they wouldn't get to an icy planet (or region of a planet) and Panthro and Lion-O would freeze to death every day? Or why giving Tygra and Wilykit open boots and expose them to suffer terrible pain in their soles? Why did he give Wilykat such girly clothes? Give them all some black, whole-bodied clothes and that's it.

6. Daremonger

The clothes that Jaga gave them seem inspired by the '80s even though ThunderCats had a futuristic setting.

7. Tygra_Rules

Yes, but again, ¿why not give them all the same?

8. Daremonger

It probably would've been boring if they had same-colored clothes. I believe having different colors makes them stand out more.

9. Tygra_Rules

Yes, that for the show's case. But if Jaga was thinking on protecting them, the logical thing to do was to give them all the same protections.

10. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Moderator TC.org Staff

This is always an interesting topic. I think that they were garbed in clothing that suited their characters best. You can go the argument that Cheetara's colourscheme matched her colours in the nude, and also Panthro's, but none of the others matched their outfits. Perhaps their clothing was based on their personalities. And he knew them just as well as he knew their strengths - hence their individual weapons. I think Jaga knew what they needed hence they were clothed individually and not as a team wearing the same.
    When you think about the episodes on New ThunDera - their snow uniforms were all the same style. Which was kinda like a group collective thing. One purpose - to keep them hot, not stylize them.
    I do believe though that they weren't "naked" but covered in fur, and that it wasn't needed to have clothing.
    Regarding what Jaga knew of Third Earth - Panthro already did his scan of the planet, though the only thing we got was that it was habitable and 96% breathable. So I doubt Jaga would've been concerned about open soles or short pants. I think their protective clothing was done to enhance their skills. Imagine if Cheetara wore Pumyra's skirt, she wouldn't have been able to run so fast. (But then you can counter that one episode where Pumyra was running very fast too, but you get what I mean).
    So, perhaps their argument to the board was that they're animals, and that they'll be sure not to show any nipples or genitals in their "naked" animal state. A very interesting thread! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Daremonger likes this.
  11. Tygra_Rules

It's not like Pumyra's wa a long, tube skirt LOL. Cheetara would have been perfectly able to run fast wit it :)

12. The Bat

The Bat Active Member

First episode we got to see Cheetara tits lol. Would of been great if the writers put a thong on her. Yea i know it was the 80s but she was naked in episode one.

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think the whole clothing thing was just something Leonard Starr didn't fully think through.
    Jaga the other Thundercats protective clothing yet he was wearing clothing.
    Then in a lot of other episodes later in the series showing Thundera, all the Thundarians are seen to be wearing clothes like Claudis, Jaga, Bengali, Pumyra, Lynxo and Grune etc.
    Originally Lion-O's outfit was going to be a reddish brown colour. I believe there was an original piece of concept art that had Lion-O this colour.
    Persoanally I think this would have been a good design choice for Lion-O and help set all the Thundercats apart with different colours.

If the Thundercats had all been wearing matching bland looking uniforms it might have made them very boring looking. In the R.OC.K.S. thread we are discussing Spiral Zone and that is a rather annoying fault with the series that both the heroes and villain were very bland looking matching armour/uniforms.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  14. Mcaseres

Mcaseres Glass Walker

Bengali had no clothing in ThunderCats Ho either

Sebastiaan likes this.
  15. Sebastiaan

Yes I think that was the only possible tie in with Exodus that they got right in that 5 parter / movie. Although Pumyra and Lynx-O's clothing both were different than their final outfits, they still wore them.
    Realistically if you had to be a pain I think Cheetara would've moved faster without Pumyra's skirt, as there is less resistance and she can move easier. Not that I wear skirts, but when you're wearing shorts vs tights it does allow for better movement, so I still think Cheetara go the right outfit.
    Yes Mark, that's right, Lion-O was originally going to be red. I think in that drawing the others also had reddish clothing. So its possible they were all going to be reddish?

16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

If you actually study the 'naked' Thundercats there is seem lines which would suggest they are wearing some type of body suit.

17. Sebastiaan

Yea I saw the seem lines, but one can argue that that was purely the way the artists interpreted shadows or for body parts to be clearly differentiated, otherwise it might have just seemed like one massive coloured blob with limbs. I often wonder why Cheetara had a belt. Perhaps that was to not have her appear completely "naked". I wish we could get some feedback from the team who worked on here. Do you guys think that the voice cast asked these questions to the producers - and got answers?

18. Tygra_Rules

I don't remember Tygra wearing clothes in Thudnera. What episode was that? Or did you mean to say Jaga?

19. Tygra_Rules

Yes he has. Just a white "body" over his chest, not overing hisa rms and legs though.

20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yes I did mean Jaga. Edited now. :)