Thundercats fans Against this so called movie.

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by blackmetalpanth, Nov 7, 2008.

1. blackmetalpanth

blackmetalpanth New Member

Everyone seems to be getting a little too excited about a thundercats film. Why? the masters of the universe film was cool...when i was 8 years old. now i can tell how innaccurate it was. and it sucked. skeletor was nothing like the cartoon, now who in the hell could play mumm-ra. no. i hate Hate hate this idea!
    why can't everyone just let it be...it was a cool cartoon, and it should remain that way.

So please, everyone against this film ....say something for the love of Jaga.

2. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

I think the difference between this ThunderCats movie and the 1987 live-action Masters of the Universe movie is that MOTU was a very hard thing to realise in live-action back in 1987 - of course now, in this post-Lord of the Rings movie era, it would be much easier. It also, IMO at least, had a script that screamed "We don't have the budget to make anything better!" ;)

ThunderCats, on the other hand, will be CGI-animated (NOT live-action - so, no actor will be "playing" Mumm-Ra, it will just be a case of someone voicing him) and should get a lot of the financial investment that it needs. Will it be like the 1980s cartoon? To be honest, I think there will be a lot of changes, and I'm quite happy to say that I also have some reservations - but, I'm not about to criticise the movie until I see the completed product and can make a judgement not based on rumours but instead based on what I see, completed, in front of me! :)

Take care... :)

3. upinout

upinout Active Member

I was utterly disapointed with the Live MOTU movie when I was a kid because it was obviously nothing like the cartoon. Still, I would love a new MOTU movie because I still love MOTU.

Likewise, I still love the Thundercats and would love a new movie to continue the thundercats franchise. I admit, they might screw it up - But they might get it right too. I'm certainly willing to take that chance.

4. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Junior Member

I'll probably like it even if it sucks. :thumbsup:

5. Purrsia

Purrsia Moderator

Like anything adding to the canon, it could be good, it could be awful - and you'll probably have fans in each camp due to varying tastes etc. Just like with the Wildstorm comics, for example.

I'm of mixed feelings about this myself, and not getting what I would call "excited" about it, partly because there has been talk about a new movie or series coming for Thundercats since I've been in the online fandom - which is coming on a shade under a decade. Personally, I'll believe it when I see it. But like Chris, I reserve judgment until the film comes out.

I do like that it'll be CGI and not live action. I don't doubt things will change - how much depends, I suppose, on the target audience.

One thing to remember is the original series will always be there and no matter what new series, comics or movies come out, they are not going to 'erase' the 80s series. It will always be the original canon. One would hope a new adventure would enhance it in some way, and change can be good sometimes, but it's not the end of the world if they don't quite 'get it right' in some of our eyes.

As to whether they should ever mess with a classic, well part of the motivation is surely money - if there's a market for the franchise they'll keep remaking old stories or adding new things. The plus on our side as fans is it keeps our favorites in the forefront. Is that good if they're 'slaughtering' the classic tales? Again, that's subject to opinion and I imagine whatever new things are developed it will not please everyone. However, it will still bring in new fans and perhaps rekindle some old fans' interest and get them to sites like this to keep them active, which is not a bad thing!

In short - pros and cons to everything. I'm prepared to just roll with it.

6. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Berbill

Basically, because it's the only game in town. I wouldn't worry too much about it though... just go in with low expectations and you'll rarely be disappointed.

While I like the idea that it will be CGI-animated, I just hope the studio spends that time and money to really bring out the best in the visuals. Let's face it, badly animated full length movies are a bit too abundant. ::cough:: ...lucas and his clown wars movie...

I think the real sticking point is going to be the script... a good storyline usually carries over into a good movie. A good plot can really help to smooth over alot of rough edges, unlike the traditional slick animation or over the top, pointless special effects that are regularly used.

7. Cheezey

Cheezey Laser Beast

If a movie comes out, I'm sure I'll go and see it, unless I have ample warning ahead of time that it's a complete and utter trainwreck (like what I've heard about the premise/script of the Voltron movie) with no resemblance to the cartoon canon at all. If it sucks, I'll lament the loss of theater ticket and popcorn money and a couple hours of my life and not buy the DVD when it comes out.

I do think it'd be cool if they're able to get any of the actors to reprise their roles, and it's encouraging to hear that Larry Kenney is open to the idea.

8. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Junior Member

I've got mixed feelings. I DO NOT like CGI. I'm an old-fashioned 2-D kinda gal. However, I'd take this over live action. It would look too much like Cats :rolleyes: