Thundercats Intro Remake

Discussion in 'Fan Art & Customs' started by Joseph Korso, Nov 15, 2018.

1. tone

tone Berbill

That got me hype as hell, that's some damn good work, man

Joseph Korso likes this.
  2. Joseph Korso

Joseph Korso Junior Member

Long trip ahead yet, but really promising.
    Pity it's painstakingly slow process.

3. Joseph Korso

Another take, just for being less subjective on the lineart.

4. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Looking great so far, dude.

Joseph Korso likes this.
  5. Daremonger

I absolutely like.

Joseph Korso likes this.
  6. Joseph Korso

I consider your feedback on this as huge incentive, after all.
    I'm switching for painting first part right now, to avoid getting bored on just lineart.
    Thank you for checking in.

Daremonger likes this.
  7. Daremonger

You're welcome.

Joseph Korso likes this.
  8. Joseph Korso

Which one, thunder folks?
    Left one is the broadcast/DVD palette while the right one is the cel original colors.

[​IMG]

Daremonger likes this.
  9. Daremonger

The cel colors, most definitely.

Joseph Korso likes this.
  10. tone

tone Berbill

My instinct in cases like this is to split the difference. The reds have been oversaturated in the cels to compensate for degradation on broadcast and we know the DVDs weren't from a digital remaster (as would be right and will they just do that already good lord). So, I'd be curious to see something in the midpoint of these, if you're inclined. If not, I actually vote for the broadcast palette as that's what we all saw and recognize as 'true'.

Joseph Korso likes this.
  11. Joseph Korso

You know, most people are inclined o the cel ones indeed.
    But I'm eager for the Middle Ground somehow.
    Left one might have too much green in it. Kinda washed out by the process.
    For the SD it makes total sense. Oversaturated color perhaps can be toned down a bit and reach a happy middle path.
    I think that's not that simple task as to decide by judging Lion-O alone.
    Gotta make the same process with the other characters and throw it into the crowd to see what evryone thinks about it.

tone likes this.
  12. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

I took the broadcast colour version you did and reduced the green midtones, then overlayed the cel colouring at 50%. I think it looks pretty good. The image on the right is the matching frame from my restored episodes which I colour corrected, just for comparison.

[​IMG]

Joseph Korso likes this.
  13. Joseph Korso

Your source looks way better.
    I mean, your color correction version would be a better source to go for than the one I'm using now.
    The result on the left seems a better middle ground, but as I mentioned, the source I'm using is not good enough and the lineart is showing precisely that.

14. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

I'll PM you a link so you can check out the my restoration. I went though and picked an episode which look to have the most detail and used that, I think it was "Spaceship Beneath the Sands", but I might be remembering incorrectly. Hopefully it helps you pick up as much detail possible.

Joseph Korso likes this.
  15. Joseph Korso

Can confirm that the source will improve things up A LOT.
    Thanks, @Booshman.

[​IMG]

16. Joseph Korso

Double post. Sorry.

[​IMG]

17. Good_Dogwood

Good_Dogwood New Member

Howdy; I think Tone and Booshman both have a good point on this, i.e. finding a middle ground between the two. The broadcast/DVD is definitely too heavily saturated with green/yellow tones. Apologies - I work in a photo studio and colour casts drive me crazy! Thinking about not just the original cartoon, but also years of packaging, advertising, comics and the like, I think Booshman's comparison is very, very close to what you're looking for...personally, I'd even drop the saturation a fraction (in his left-hand panel) to match his restored version. Oh, and by the way - your line art is absolutely incredible! Completely captured the energy of the original intro!

Joseph Korso likes this.
  18. Joseph Korso

Thank you for the words and how close it is to the colors it was meant to be.
    After Booshman source, MANY things lineart wise are already changing.
    I was kinda working on a Guessing Game with the old source.
    Now we're talking. Cheetara is better than in this take I share earlier.
    The takes with characters in far distance are more easy to distinguish now and that'll help A LOT in the process.

If something worth sharing happen to come by, I'll do here.

Booshman and Good_Dogwood like this.
  19. Daremonger

Your Jaga and Cheetara animations are looking pretty terrific here, Joseph. :)

Joseph Korso likes this.
  20. Joseph Korso

Differences on the prior source and the one Booshman forwarded me are STAGGERING.
    I might end up remastering the remaster after all.
    Damn. Add to the queue I was a completely lacking in practice back then.
    I remember spending a lot of time to achieve a concise line, but looking back the first frames... UGH! *cringe noise*
    Fixing stuff in a matter of minutes here.
    Can't believe how constant practice can rocket you further UP the line. Think I'm gonna enlist myself on Inktober this year as punishment for never put myself up to date on drawing subject.

Daremonger likes this.