ThunderCats Movie announced by Warner?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by Mumm-Ra, Jun 6, 2007.

1. AlexofThundera

AlexofThundera Plun-Darr Legend

I just put an extra Berbil Bill I have up on eBay. At the very bottom of the description I added a word or two about the petition along with the link. Hopefully that will help us get some more signatures.

2. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

Just to say many thanks for the petition plug - your support, as always, is much appreciated! :)

Take care... :)

3. catspat

catspat also known as...Leppardra

Yeah, good move, Alex. Thanks!:cheetaraveryhappy:

4. Tygra-wan

Tygra-wan Glass Walker

Awesome! Thanks, Alex! We really do appreciate this. You rock!

5. Bengali

Bengali Rampager

New Movie: Animated CGI or "Live-Action" CGI?

I was wondering about this...We already know the new movie will be CGI but will it feature realistic looking characters, or will it have them looking more animated and "cartoony"?

6. He-Fan

Chris here...

At this stage, I doubt even WB themselves have a clear idea - the only thing I'd say is that if you look at some of the CGI material that the director has worked on, what I've seen of that has been "live-action"-style CGI. However, I suspect WB will be the ones to make the final judgement call, and I suspect that will be based on their perception of the marketplace - let's hope they go with something realistic-looking, the cartoony humans were the only thing I didn't like about the CGI Ninja Turtles movie! :(

7. AlexofThundera

AlexofThundera Plun-Darr Legend

I rather liked the new CGI turtles movie, but I would like something better for Tcats. Final Fantasty VII, Advent Children. Now that is CGI!! Of course, I now I am pushing it, I don't think WB see's the Tcats line as that big of a money maker, nor are they going to try and please every hard core fan either.

Hopefully they just stick to the original concept, keep it nice and simple, and produce a new line of action figures to boot.

Honestly, I would have preferred a Anime style rendition over CGI, but we will have to wait and see what they come up with.

8. catspat

I agree with Chris in that right now Warners probably doesn't know the best way to go, but you can bet a lot of midnight oil has been burned over it. Unfortunately, the writers' strike has slowed things down over here, so waiting is all we (and they) can do at the moment. :(

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  9. catspat

I mentioned the petition on the deviantART site a few days ago. Maybe that will help reel in a few more signatures, and a few new members for TCL.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  10. Tygra-wan

Tygra-wan Glass Walker

Thank you, catspat! I hope that works, as well.... Here's to hoping!

11. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

I think the movie would be a big hit, if it was done like "Beowulf" movie(Live-Action CGI)

If you want to hear a podcast on the director of the movie, check out this site: http://thundercats-the-movie.net/

The best part is Jerry said that the CGI movie will be "different than what else is being done right now"!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  12. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

Thanks for the heads up TCat! I'm going to put up some quotes on the front page of the site!

13. nickmills

nickmills Multimedia Guru TC.org Staff

I get this real crap feeling that they're going to go in an entirely new direction which means no original voice actors. Gr, that better not happen. If Warner Brothers manages to destroy the legacy of Thundercats with a craptastic film, I'll never forgive them. I've seen the butchering of some of my favourite things - the Resident Evil films have been absolutely horrific compared to the games and Final Fantasy Spirits Within was just plain bad.

I thought that was an awful interview in regards of Thundercats. Blergh.

14. Mark / Grizzlor

It wasn't really even a ThunderCats centered interview though. The podcast is dedicated to XBOX 360 so of course it's going to be more about the game he worked on previously. Also, he couldn't really say anything about the movie, so what exactly gave you the idea the movie was going in a negative direction?

The fact that he assured fans it was going to be in the same spirit of the show helps me at the very least to see he is acknowledging the past show and it's fanbase. I don't know...what could he say to make you happy? It's still early, they only have a script and there are no voice actors attached to the film. Does that really sound bad?

15. nickmills

nickmills Multimedia Guru TC.org Staff

He did indeed say that it would be in the same spirit of the show is a good thing; however, he also said it was going to be presented in a way that would be accessible to a new audience. And whenever people say that, they usually completely change it so that it's unrecognizable and butchered the legacy of the original. I've seen things in the past absolutely butchered when put in the hands of new people; Pinky and the Brain, Sonic cartoons, Tom & Jerry, Final Fantasy, TMNT and so forth. Heck, even 'Alone In The Dark' (a legendary game) was put in the hands of Uwe Boll who made it into an absolutely horrible film.

My wishes would be that it's put in the hands of people who were apart of the original series and so have a much better knowledge of how the original show worked, what made it a classic etc. That's why I don't really have much faith in people who have very little experience with films and only games who aren't fans; he doesn't sound like he was one and 'his' direction may be different to those of fans who watched the show for years.

As for the interview... it could have been slightly more in depth. For example, the question of Larry Kenney possibly being a voice along with some of the other originals would have been a start. It just seemed very little for an interview. I realize that the show itself was more focused around games but for a minute or two on a new project is real lame - usually, someone would do a little more research to find out more things to find from the director.

However, this is just my opinion.

16. He-Fan

Chris here...

I definitely understand what you're saying, Nick, and agree that over the years there have been some very poor re-envisionings of some wonderful properties in the name of making them "fresh". However, if I'm honest, I'd expect nothing less than for WB to present the movie in a way that a new audience (or, also, an audience that grew up seeing ThunderCats on TV but hasn't seen an episode in 20+ years) can easily latch on to, that's exactly what I would expect them to do and exactly what I would do in their position - anything else just isn't good business sense, and unfortunately a harsh reality is that all of these companies, be they WB, toy companies, or whatever, are businesses first and foremost, which want (and to an extend need) to make money. That said, also from a storytelling perspective it's sensible to make a TCats movie accessible to a new audience, simply because if 80% of the audience it's targeted at have never seen TCats before, it's not a very good storytelling move if those people can't understand what's going on! :)

To an extent I have to say I share your concerns - the only thing I'd say that the main writer of the DC/Wildstorm TCats comic book series, Ford Lytle Gilmore, claimed to be a fan of the original TCats series, a fact that appeared evident in the first mini-series he wrote, but over the course of the next mini-series IMO he moved further and further away from what made the characters and world of the ThunderCats tick, showing things for shock value such as Lion-O deliberately breaking a Mutant's neck, etc. So, even when placing these things in the hands of fans, there's no guarantee that said fans will come up with a product that everybody is happy with. :) However, like I say, I do await with slight trepidation what they come up with - I only hope that the "powers that be" do their homework not just on the facts and figures of the original series but the ThunderCats' personalities and sense of morality. :)

Which is very valid, my friend - however, the only thing I'd say is that it would not surprise me if Jerry is actually "gagged" by WB at the present time, i.e. that there are things currently in development with the movie that he's not actually allowed to comment on at this early stage. I think IIRC he even alluded to that in his interview...? Unfortunately I think it will be a while before we get any new news, not just for that reason but also because the movie is in very early stages of development, at the present time I'd take a guess that they will have just made a tentative start on character designs, etc., but nothing finalised to show. :)

17. Mark / Grizzlor

The only thing that I would be surprised that they change would be the sword design for the Sword of Omens. Even in the rock band concept designs, the sword barely changed. The Eye of Thundera is PERFECT and will never change.

The story, the character names, and the portrayal of the main characters are probably going to stay true to the original series, but the designs are going to be different. I am 99.9% positive about that.

Heck, I'd be rather upset if Snarf didn't make the cut, but I bet he'll be replaced by a monkey (I kid, I kid.) ;)

18. catspat

Right on, Manny. I won't be happy if the Sword is altered. That blade is fine just as it is! And if anybody even so much as touches the Insignia...:mischievous:

I agree. It's only logical to expect the designs to change. They have to do that in order to keep the whole film from looking ancient. But I hope the Cats' outfits and technologies are the only things about them that are redesigned for the 21st century, and that their physical designs aren't changed too much. After all, wouldn't Cheetara look great with naturally long, flowing hair instead of a shoulder-length style that becomes long only when she's running? I think so.:cheetaraveryhappy:

And why not have Lynx-O, Pumyra, and Bengali along as part of the original remaining ThunderCat nobles? I'd be all for that, especially if Tygra and Bengali this time are acknowledged as full-blood siblings. Clothed or naked, it wouldn't matter in the final cut. After all, this is a movie we're talking about. ;)

How can you have Lion-O without Snarf? That's like having the Sun without the Moon! Heh, and I'm not kidding! :D

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  19. He-Fan

Chris here...

Just as a note about the logo - whilst I'd be surprised if they did change it, nonetheless it would appear to be an idea that WB have toyed with. Apparently the idea of a new ThunderCats cartoon first began being kicked around a few years ago, with comic artist Ed McGuinness hired to come up with some redesign concept drawings - we actually have some of them hosted on this very site in our Original Comic Art Gallery! :)

One piece I tried very hard to get permission to host in our gallery is this one below - unfortunately I was never able to get into a dialogue with the owner, who displays the piece instead in his own gallery hosted at www.comicartfans.com - the gentleman's name is Mike Steckler, and this is the piece he owns - a potential (but, it would seem, ultimately rejected) redesign of the ThunderCat logo!

[​IMG]

Just thought I'd post that up to throw another dynamic into the discussion, LOL! ;)

20. Tygra-wan

Tygra-wan Glass Walker

Even though it's an interesting design, Chris, I feel that it looks too (and I know this will sound weird considering the nature of the subject) "Cartoony". The original Symbol was perfect in every way. It doesn't look too "Cartoony", and looks quite wicked and able to wear anywhere, in MHO.