Thundercats picture quality and mastering for DVD

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Booshman, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Yeah, I'll be putting them up. Should be a 4xBD50 bluray set. I want to include all audio tracks and subs, as well as some extra features like old commercials and the PSA, etc.

If there are any suggestions for good extras, I'd like to hear them.

BloodofKings and adssse like this.
  2. BloodofKings

BloodofKings Junior Member

This is great! Thanks for all your hard work. Take my money, please! As for extras...if you can, try to include those commercial bumpers as well. There are a few more in pretty good quality on YouTube if you need a source.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    shortfuse likes this.
  3. Booshman

That's cool, thanks for posting it. Any other ideas let me know too.

4. Wolf873

Wolf873 Glass Walker

Booshman, you've done a great service to us all who cherish and enjoy Thundercats. I recently had the unique pleasure of watching the enhanced version of Thundercats Exodus and another episode and I must admit Thundercats has never looked better than it does here. The picture, the colours and sound all came through in this perfect wholesome experience. It was reminiscent of my first viewing of Thundercats and being completely immersed into it, better picture quality goes a long way in inviting immersive experience. I quite frankly don't understand why Warner won't invest time and money into this, I am certain fans will purchase the blurays for Thundercats. Anyhow, I am thankful we have dedicated fans like Booshman who do so much for their community. Wishing you all the best my friend. :thumbsup:thumbsup

5. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

Here, here!

Wolf873 and Wilycub like this.
  6. Booshman

Cheers dudes, more to come.

7. BloodofKings

BloodofKings Junior Member

Is it available for purchase? If so, where?

8. Booshman

As with all my video projects and fanedits in general, these are available for free. There is a lot of work that goes into them, but I don't own Thundercats, I just expect that if you want to watch this project, you have at least bought the official DVD's. I'll PM you.

9. Joseph Korso

Joseph Korso Junior Member

I was chatting with the guy that is remastering She-Ra Intro and I must say, he's really passionate about it.
    He's rotoscoping in 4K, 600dpi using an ordinary mouse!! That's INSANE!
    And it'll take an eternity to finish. I started myself, as a personal challenge - and kinda a homage to the original animation -
    a rotoscoping remaster of Thundercats Intro scene, BUT it takes so much time to do it. One not familiar with the process
    can't imagine how slow is the traditional animation process and well, although is slow, the final result is simply amazing.

I started with a small take from the intro and put it aside for a while, only resuming the rotoscoping/redrawing/animating/painting/rendering
    almost a month later. The thing is, I got right now a humbly 6 seconds from the intro and yet I'm hyped with the results.

Some friends I've showed some WIP say it must be exposed to the fans and that I must do a Patreon for help finishing that project.
    I'm not skeptical about it, but am a little concerned to start a Patreon for this out of thin air.

Here, the final result for Tygra take:
    [​IMG]

What do you think?
    It's worth a shot?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    shortfuse, Daremonger and LiamABC like this.
  10. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

You did a great job with Tygra!

Joseph Korso likes this.
  11. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Love it, Joseph!

Joseph Korso likes this.
  12. Joseph Korso

Thanks, Tygra Rules. Tygra rules indeed. ^^

I got another one here.

[​IMG]

shortfuse and Daremonger like this.
  13. Daremonger

Your Snarf animation looks good, even without color. :)

Joseph Korso likes this.
  14. Joseph Korso

Thanks Daremonger. Would be wise to share in a topic on the right session?

Daremonger likes this.
  15. Booshman

Looks great. What will you do with the backgrounds though, it's going to be a nightmare trying to replicate the paintings.

Joseph Korso likes this.
  16. Daremonger

Yes.

Joseph Korso likes this.
  17. Joseph Korso

I'm already remastering the complete opening.
    The painting is the less I can worry about.
    Redrawing from scratch is far more "boring".
    It's not boring, but one of the slowest things I've ever done in life.

18. Booshman

You will reach a point though, when you have traced every cel, and you need to replicate the backgrounds. Some are just gradients and shouldn't be too difficult to accurately replicate. Others are very beautiful and detailed paintings, how will you do them? The group shot in front of Cats Lair for example, what's your plan?

Joseph Korso likes this.
  19. Joseph Korso

I've finished the crew looking upper left already. Only need to fix the gradient background.
    Started the take before and after that one and I must say: Lion-O take is until now the most complicated shot.
    There's his set of frames, the static background, the foreground with effects, the background with effects.
    I'm using five video tracks to conclude this take and although the lineart is almost there (I need to finish the zoom in on Lion-O),
    the painting didn't even started. Well, I always do a pilot frame to decide the colors to be used in the entire scene, that one is done,
    but didn't put online yet. Painting to me is really more cool to do. Not easy, but I get excited and put some music, sometimes to get a hype,
    sometimes to get relaxed enough.

The take after the finished one is the one Tygra and Panthro show up together witht the tank.
    The longest take I've started is the one after that, where Cheetara runs, Wilykit and Wilykat do their thing,
    it got about 432 frames if I'm not mistaken.

So yeah, LOTS of work, but didn't put on paper how many frames does each scene have. Nedd to do that for schedule sake, but probably would finish accounting tomorrow.

I started recording some footage, maybe some of the process will show up eventually.
    I'm just concerned I won't be able to do it "in time". I may even take the whole next year to finish it.

PS: about the scene of the whole crew, Cat's Lair and Jaga, I have to do all separated.
    Jaga will be the easy one, cause his moves are swift but precise and the transparency's not a problem.
    The background painting WILL take a lot more, cause the original art is painted as a oil paint, full of details.
    But Photoshop is for this kind of job, so I'm not worried.

20. Booshman

It's quite the undertaking you've set for yourself. For me I would want it to keep the art as true original as possible. I'm sure the original art had much more detail than we see at dvd resolution, but if you start adding embellishments you turn it into something different than it was.

I think at alternative could be to upscale the intro and filter the original footage to clean it up. You could also go frame by frame and remove any dirt, scratches from the backgrounds, then overlay your new cels to cover the characters.

Super resolution is a good tool and now free. Might be worth a try.

http://www.infognition.com/super_resolution/