Thundercats products interest

Discussion in 'Modern Collectables' started by Lordore, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Saint Doyle

Saint Doyle Crabman

My main concern these days with collecting anything is finding the space to display it (and if it ain't making the cut to get a piece of display space I don't need to be buying it). Therefore I haven't begun statue collecting. I honestly don't have the space for the Bandai toys, but I'll probably pick up some of them.

I need more pictures of the Mezco line before making a decision. I need to know how pose-able they will be, and how big the line is before I commit to anything.

ps - Is the Mezco line the "classic" line I've been hearing about, or does Bandai have a classics line planned in conjunction with the new 2011 line?

2. mcss aerocoupe

mcss aerocoupe Moderator

There is a Bandai Classics line.

Then there is the Mezco Lion-O. I don't know if there is a line involved, or just a single figure.

I will update original post with links to the various items in the poll.

3. Saint Doyle

Saint Doyle Crabman

Were I a statue collector I would be snatching up those Hard Heroes statues. They look pretty awesome.

4. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Thanks Spideristic

I know PCS's Statues cost a pretty but they are too damn good. My second vote after HH would be PCS and i put them second because i will only buy Lion-o EX and, if i make it, Mumm-Ra, EX Premium Format Statues(been saving since summer).

I thought that older members here would welcome these two with open arms.

The way i see it, if you place them inside a glass cabinet, they will look much more imposing and 'mature' than a Toyline, especially Bandai's recent 4''.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  5. Lordore I think a lot of the hype of the Bandai line (which is reflected in the voting) is that it is an action figure line. Kids associate action figures as something they can play with. Older collectors associate action figure with "collectability" in the vein that they will be worth something some day. I'm not statue expert, but I've got to think that the collectible/trade/resell value of the statues in terms of increasing in value over time, isn't near what it is for action figures. Like I said, I myself don't know a single person that collects statues. Maybe the action figure craze is associated with more western cultures as you said the Japanese are more into statues and PVC figures. You can go to Barnes & Noble and there are at least 2-3 (maybe just 1-2 now that Toyfare is gone) magazines dedicated to action figure collecting and prices, not to mention books you can buy. I've never seen a single book on statue collecting.

I guess an example that works in my head is, displaying the Bandai 8" classics Lion-O, you might one day be able to proudly display in front of your friends a graded figure that you could sell online for $600. But the HH statue that you bought might only be worth $400 or so. That's a big difference in scale considering the 8" classics cost $16.99 whereas the HH statue was over $100. A lot of the price drive up (you hope) is due to one day there being a big demand for these after they've aged a bit, from older and newer collectors. There just won't be that same demand for statues I don't think.

I'm not trying to knock your point of view, or anyone's that collect statues, I'm just trying to shed some light on why I think the action figure lines will be vastly more popular than any of the 3 statue lines. The statue collecting market is such a small small small niche compared to the action figure collecting market.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  6. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

As i had stated in a previous post, i think Pop Culture Shock Lion-o and Mumm-ra will be mainly embraced by the Statue Collectors generally. I was checking out on Statue Forum and the fans there really approve these versions.

I was also wondering, do you think guys that Icon Heroes might have to back down from the companies producing Thundercats?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  7. I think you could make a case for both Hard Hero and Icon Heroes. Initially I thought if any of the 3 were to be forced out of Thundercats statues pre-maturely it would be Hard Hero because, there are some people that would drop money on the ultra high end statue, and the Icon Heroes statues are much more affordable, leaving HH out in the dust.

However, I could see both the Mezco and possibly the 8" Classics line eating into the Icon Heroes line. At this point, if PCS is smartly producing their statues and making a profit off the line, they're the only one I can see that really doesn't have anything to worry about.

8. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

I remember reading Rob Pott's comment on how well the line is going, Also Cheetara and Lion-o are both SOLD OUT at HH's site as well as in BBTS's site(AP Versions). I don't see why HH should stop producing Thundercast.Fans seem to like it.

On the other hand, Icon Heroes is in a much worse situation.The Poll besides is indicative

9. I have no idea how well any of the 3 lines are selling. I do recall Lion-O being available on HH's site for a while after launch though. I personally like the HH statues more so than any of them (well at least for Lion-O. It is going to be hard for any statue company to top Mumm-Ra The Ever Living. That piece should be in a museum). Good to know about the HH line though.

Yeah that is why I sort of said you could find a case for Icon Heroes being in trouble. If the Mezco line takes off, I could see that eating into the HH line, especially when the Mezco figs will be able to be displayed in a window box.

I'd like a window box for the 8" classics line as well, although it'll probably be a blister similar to MOTUC.

Dang I really want SSC to get some sort of license. I was just looking at their Joes again yesterday and they are incredible.

10. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

11. I use that sometimes for MOTUC figs. That will come in handy when the Thundercats figs hit the market.

12. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Just wanted to mention that it is pretty reasonable for someone who has singled out Pop Culture Shock, to narrow down his/her list of purchases to only two or three Statues. Besides, these PF are huge, expensive, acqUire too much space and they will be produced in a rate of one every 5 months... Besides, i am not sure Jerry is planning on releasing the whole line, probably this will depend on the Sales.

However, i've read Jerry's comment saying Lion-o did very well in pre-sales and had to tell Diamond, he couldn't fill the additional orders they asked for

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  13. Lilith

Lilith Active Member

I'm going to collect the Bandai toys and maybe one or two of the big Mezco figures. I have zero interest in the statues and stactions.

14. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

To be honest, Icon Heroe's latest Figs, Jaga & Jackalman are pretty good and particularly the price drop bring the company back to the Game. I am curious to see if this is reflected on the fans' opinion as well!! It is stuck on 0 votes!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  15. I gotta think Bandai's numbers are going to jump even more this weekend with the product reveals at Toy Fair.

16. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Seeing all these exclusive pics has really whetted my appetite for the Figures to be released. I think Bandai's strategy to produce a Classic as well as a New Toyline will be the key to success.

I asked my 11 years old brother yesterday if he likes them and he believes they are great and would love to buy some. He singled out the 6'' Lion-o and Tygra.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011