ThunderCats Rewatch Episode 17-18 Discussion

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by Rizefall, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Rizefall

Rizefall Swedish Meatball

Episode 17-18: Native Son, Survival Of The Fittest
    [​IMG]

Lion-O and Tygra discover the village of the lost Tiger clan, but what secrets do they hold? Tygras past? Wilykit and Wilykat are later forced to hunt for their food, but something is hunting them as well.

Hey everyone.

Again a very hectic week. I've yet to comment on the episode thread previous to this one and will get it done by the end of the day. Good to see there has been some discussion anyway so you are fine even when I'm a slowpoke.

A few things to remember:

Spoilers about future episodes are not allowed. In the discussion threads we talk about what we’ve seen up until that point in time.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.

Also, please do not post where or how to find the full episode online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the show in whatever manner you want.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Native Son and Survival of the Fittest.

Familiar ground. Here we have a good episode followed by another odd/poor episode.
    What is it with the amount of flashbacks in this series?

Native Son was really interesting letting us know what happened to the Tiger Clan upon arrival on Third Earth. Not so keen on what they did with the Tiger Clan. It seems they were even less liked than the Thundercats....
    Overall all I liked it as it fleshed Tygra out a bit more and made him more likeable.

Survival of the Fittest is pretty dull and does nothing to further the overall story. If their story had happened during the pilot or maybe have the farm destroyed by the Mutants it would have been a better introduction for Kit and Kat.
    I really don't see the point of this episode and this is what I find really odd about it. Kit and Kat were surviving fine on their own in the city etc. If anything they should be the ones more used to fending for themselves in the wild compared to the other Thundercats who lived in the city and in Lion-O and Tygra's case lived a life of royal luxury. Showing them teaching the others in their element would have been far more interesting and made them so much more interesting.
    More to the point, this episode (more so with the changes I suggested) would work a lot better earlier in the series after leaving Thundera. Maybe even before or after Ramalak Rising...which served no real purpose to the overall story at all.

3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Finally watched these two episodes.

Native Son . . . not bad. Finally we get to learn Tygra's backstory. Now we know why he has all this resentment towards Lion-O. Granted, he should have learned to deal with it a bit better by now, but still, at least we know the history behind it.

This episode really needed to come much earlier in the series, and would have probably worked better as a pre-Panthro episode - he's not in it anyway, so it wouldn't make much difference adding Cheetara and the Kittens. Nice to hear Jim Cummings in the voice cast - although they did miss a trick by not casting Peter Newman as Javan! Surely if Larry Kenney was Claudus, then . . .

Survival Of The Fittest - this is a historic first. This is the first episode of Thundercats ever to not have Lion-O in it at all. He was present in every original episode, and every episode of this up to now. It's another backstory that really should have been established earlier in the series, that of the Kittens (curiously both this and the other episode omitting Lion-O centre on the Kittens). Now we know how they ended up where they did. I agree with Mark here though - this was a bit pointless and a bit questionable on so many levels. If they were used to going hungry and having to do whatever it takes to survive, then you'd think they'd already know how to catch dinner. If they had lost their home during the pilot episode in the big attack, then fair enough, they would still be finding their feet, but they were already on the streets. Also, how come the cat whose money they returned didn't realise right away that they were returning it and not stealing it? The everyday cats really are either stupid or mean. This episode has no real value to the present story arc whatsoever, and was just an excuse to tell a flashback story that should have been told earlier anyway.

Overall - meh.

Mark M likes this.
  4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Another point. Why was Lion-o mother not named at all in Native son. And more to the point what of Tygra's mother. Why did the writers not make any mention of this? Vary lazy writing in my opinion.
    Also I need to point out I really dislike the way they found the Tiger village. Just a bit too much by chance.