ThunderCats Rewatch Episode 25-26 FINAL Discussion

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by Rizefall, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Rizefall

Rizefall Swedish Meatball

Episode 25-26: What Lies Above Part 1-2
    [​IMG]

The Thundercats find a way to reach the next stone and arrive at the floating city of Avista, which is ruled by Birds. They meet Vultaire and try to convince him to give them the third stone that they find here before Mumm-Ra arrives. However, as a concerned Wilykat and Wilykit leave Avista to get help, Pumyra worsens the group's predicament when she abducts Vultaire and attempts to take the Tech Stone, even after being told that Avista needs it for its people to survive. As Mumm-Ra arrvies and the battle starts one major betrayal is revealed.

A few things to remember:

Spoilers about future episodes are not allowed. In the discussion threads we talk about what we’ve seen up until that point in time.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.

Also, please do not post where or how to find the full episode online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the show in whatever manner you want.

2. Rizefall

Rizefall Swedish Meatball

I just wanted to stay thank you too everyone that has participated in this re-watch. It's sad that I've been able to follow it as much as i wanted when i started this whole thing but real life can be a b*tch sometimes and you've just gotta deal with it.

Anyhow it's great to see that there are some people that come in here and post, or perhaps just watched the show for themselves. Big thanks to everyone that's come back week after week and what ever the case i want to say sorry because I've had a lot of things to say about this show.

With that said though it's not like the forums or threads are going anywhere so i can still watch it and comment in the appropriate threads as i get through it. I hope you enjoyed this little thing i put together and now... Lets here your thought on the two last episodes and the series as a whole!

LiamABC likes this.
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The final two episodes proved to be a great end for the series as in my opinion they were two of the best episodes of the series.
    Such a shame the series took so long to really get going...

A little trivial thing I noticed was in the ''intro'', if you study the hilt of the Sword of Omens a section of it is drawn crooked. :/ Very lazy job by the animation department.

I really disliked the parts with Tygra automatically becoming a great pilot and winning the race.

Speaking of the race these two episodes definitely show the writer is a fan of Star Wars. Avista is clearly inspired by Bespin in the Empire Strikes Back. Even the music score when they enter the city for the feast was reminiscent of Han and Co looking around Bespin. I was expecting Darth Vader...I mean Mumm-Ra to make an appearance at the feast.
    Then the race a bit like the pod race from The Phantom Menace. The naming of the fighters in the squadron during the battle. Then of course the duel between Mumm-Ra and Lion-O.

I really enjoyed Michael McKean as Vultaire.

Seeing Ssslithe, Adicus, Monkian and Vultaire together was great. It was just such a pity it took so long to get too it.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I enjoyed your idea and it was a great way for us to all share our thought on the series.

In fact it has given me an idea for something I might try and introduce to the forum in the 'off topic' section but I will have to see if any other members would be up for it.
    I was thinking of maybe every week or two weeks doing a movie discussion where we select a movie either a special childhood favourite, a cult classic, or a new release and discuss it.

Wilycub likes this.
  5. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Sounds like a great idea! You can count me in for sure. :)

Mark M likes this.
  6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Excellent. We will have to get something sorted out then. :D

7. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Perhaps we could watch the establishing episodes of a different cartoon each week, or if no establishing episodes, episodes that can be taken as important or representative of the show as a whole.

Mark M likes this.
  8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yeah some episodes from select cartoons would be good to do also.
    Maybe we should do two threads for movies and episodes?

9. LiamABC

Anyway, my thoughts on the finale:

First off - wow. Yes, this show really went out with a bang. Vultaire has got to be the best re-imagined name for any character in this series, because it stays true to the character's roots without being too generic. And go on, someone's got to do the pun on the name:

If Thundercats did not exist, it would be necessary to create it.

Of course, the way he's presented as an essentially neutral character doesn't quite seem right somehow. True, he's unfriendly, but he seems to have a lot of trouble making up his mind, until Mumm-Ra comes on the scene and he chooses to side with the more powerful being. Although of course his response, "what can I say? I'm a politician!" is perfect.

Pumyra's capture of him to open the door is great. I'm trying to think what it reminds me of, or if I'm just thinking back to when I saw the episode for the first time.

And of course we get the final piece of the puzzle about the scattering of the stones. Well, not strictly the final piece, we don't know what or where the fourth stone is, but it's not strictly an essential detail in terms of the flashbacks! Vultaire's explanation is a good one, no question. At least one race has a good recollection of the planet's history.

The whole Feliner thing is a little goofy. Panthro's sudden fear of heights on top of his inability to swim makes him a comic grouch who's only an effective fighter on land. OK, so the fact that someone else flies it is good, and to be fair, Tygra has shown the most mechanical aptitude in the driving department prior to this, having saved the day in the Thundertank back in episode 12 I think. That coupled with his ancestors being pilots makes him the best choice. Mind you, the whole race challenge is a bit dodgy. It might have been more plausible if Tygra had lost and they'd had to try and steal back the sword and claw.

As for the "uexpected betrayal" thing, I remember the first time I saw that episode, I was expecting it to be Tygra. But of course, the minute the stone landed by Pumyra and she didn't immediately throw it to Lion-O, it was obvious where the rotten apple was in this barrel.

And is it me, or does Mumm-Ra look like Skeletor when he gets that stone?

And of course, when the kittens arrive at the end, for a moment I was thinking, "is he all there is?" - especially as we didn't see anybody agreeing to help them on their rounds. Then of course I remembered the Forever Bag. Not quite sure either way on that scene, but it was good in showing the unity that Lion-O was already bringing to the species.

Overall, though, a good finale to the season. Considering the series as a whole you could probably have trimmed off about a quarter of it as having no relevance to the major story threads, and made a few tweaks to several others. But overall, not bad. Could have been better, but could have been worse.

Mark M likes this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

We got through discussing all 26 episodes and none of the discussions turned into an argument. :D

11. xluckinekostylex

xluckinekostylex Glass Walker

And I thought Lion-O and Pumyra are a good couple, but turns out she dumped him for the ever living, ever since the cancellation Lion-O is now forever alone.
    Looks like it's a trip to Dumptown, USA
    for Poor old Lion-O! :( (Regular Show reference)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  12. LiamABC

On the face of it that seems amazing, but when you think about it, the haters wouldn't have been interested in the re-watch anyway, leaving only those who actually gave the show a chance.

Mark M likes this.
  13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

You are right.