ThunderCats Rewatch Episode 9-10 Discussion

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by Rizefall, May 22, 2016.

1. Rizefall

Rizefall Swedish Meatball

Episode 9-10: Berbils, Sight Beyond Sight
    [​IMG]

Tiny robot bears solicit the help of the ThunderCats to save them from a slave trader who values their technical and construction skills. The Cats help to rescue enslaved Berbils and defend their village. Using the Book of Omens to guide them, the Thundercats find themselves outside a mysterious stone enclosure. Lion-O needs to master Sight Beyond Sight to find the next stone.

Hello Thunderians!

I hope all of you are feeling good today. I'm sick because of allergies and almost forgot to put up this weeks discussion. Other than that, can you believe we've done this for over a month? Time flies by so fast.

Lets watch these two episodes and get the discussion going!

A few things to remember:

Spoilers about future episodes are not allowed. In the discussion threads we talk about what we’ve seen up until that point in time.

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that, whilst fans are obviously welcome to passionately discuss and give their views on these episodes, please remember to keep things on a friendly footing and respect your fellow posters.

Also, please do not post where or how to find the full episode online. And do not post asking others to PM it to you. You are however allowed to watch the show in whatever manner you want.

2. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Berbils - obviously comparisons have to be drawn with the original episode of the same name. I think this episode actually works better than the original one. The trouble with the original episode is that it's not really a proper story but a series of vignettes - anyone with the feature-length version of Exodus will be aware that the Trollogs and Gantaurs sequences are the main casualty of the whole 4-parter, and understandably so.

The new version feels more like a story with a beginning, middle and end. The Thundercats find that the Berbils have come to their aid in the night, and befriend them fairly naturally. Then we see the threat to them, and it's a proper threat that needs to be really overcome, the Conquedor. This episode has some good development for Panthro. He's very suspicious of their cuteness at first, but eventually sees that they are very capable little engineers, and develops a healthy respect for what they can do. I like the whole interchange of "they're using their cuteness to get us to help them!" - "Yeah? Well looks like it worked!"

Also nice to see the Trollogs and Giantaurs in this episode, albeit in a supporting capacity. And of course Snowmeow - looking bigger and meaner than ever! Not sure about the candy fruit sending the Kittens instantly hyper though . . . but overall, good.

Sight Beyond Sight - actually, this episode too bears a strong resemblance to the original Berbils episode. Lion-O defeats the Wraiths that take the elephants' harvest, which awakens the Rock Giant, in much the same way as in the original Berbils episode where he defeated the Trollogs which in turn caused the Giantaurs to attack. There's some development for the Kittens here, we learn about the tune Wilykit plays on her instrument, and it comes in very useful at the end.

That said, there's a lot of filler in this episode. The race at the start doesn't really serve any purpose except killing time. The joke about the forgetful Elephants wears thin after the first three or four repetitions. And while this episode is technically back onto the main story, it doesn't really feel like it much. The whole sight beyond sight thing is a bit like the end of Ramlak Rising where Mumm-Ra forces Jaga to show them the way to the Tower Of Omens, it doesn't have anything to do with the main body of the episode. Overall, this could have been better.

On the whole then, kinda mixed. Neither episode really stands out for me. I can't really put my finger on it.

Mark M likes this.
  3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

2011 Berbils is an odd episode. As Liam said obviously it will be compared to the original. However the original episodes is one of my favourites and in my opinion one of the most iconic from the show. I love that episode so much. :)
    The 2011 Berbils is fine. It's a good episode but noting spectacular or overly interesting about it. Another episode that doesn't really do much for the characters or the overall story.

I share pretty much the exact same feelings on Sight Beyond Sight.

4. LiamABC

I don't mean I dislike the original Berbils episode, it's damn good, it's just that the way Lion-O befriends them in the original version is not quite so solidly done.

Mark M likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I know what you mean.

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I have just realised the plot of Berbils is a lot like an episode of The A-Team.
    The heroes meet some nice people who are kind to them.
    Some bad guy messes with them.
    The good guys sort them out.
    The bad guys vow vengeance.
    The good guys build a weapon to fight them.
    Good guys win and heroes move on.

All this episode needed was the A-Team music playing when they built the weapons.

I still find it odd how Panthro is a mechanic and is tampering with the tank when he doesn't really know what he's doing having lived his life without technology.

Wilycub likes this.
  7. LiamABC

He's probably learned a few bits and pieces on the way. We don't know how long ago it was that Panthro and Grune were sent to find the book, or when they found Mumm-Ra.

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Another thing I meant to add was that it was so much like the A-Team with the food firing weapon. Reminds me of the episode they made a cabbage cannon lol.

9. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

1. I kind of liked how the Berbils in this incarnation looked a little bit more like teddy bears than robots.

2. I personally found "Sight Beyond Sight" to be a bit off-putting, since it was yet another episode that seemed a bit harsh on Lion-O.

3. The more i thought about it, the more i realized that making the Elephants' culture India-based and making the Elephants themselves incredibly forgetful were actually very clever routes to take.

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That is going to be a recurring theme. ;)

11. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

And that's a recurring issue I've been having with these kinds of shows. Sometimes it feels like the main protagonist just can't catch a break.

12. LiamABC

You mean too many "I can't do this, I can't do this . . ." episodes, until at the very end of the episode it turns out he can after all? Yeah, that's a cliche all right.

13. Rizefall

Rizefall Swedish Meatball

A little slow here but better late than never.

So i think both of these episodes are pretty decent. It's sad that Berbils is ANOTHER FILLER EPISODE though but good thing sight beyond sight makes up for it.

The Berbils episode was good looking and fun on it's own but just seemed to be like something that's fun for the old fans. While that's fine, this is a new generation and you have to make episodes and things that makes sense to the new audiences. If you want to make callbacks to the original, do so in a more simple manner. The samoflange joke together with the berbil name thing is something i could not stand. It makes NO SENSE for a new crowd and the old fans took too much space in this episode.

Like i mentioned though i do think Sight Beyond Sight made up for it. Not only did it move the plot forward, but in an interesting way. It's not the best episode by any means and it's another Lion-O focused episode in the sense that it's mostly about him, his sword and him learning stuff about balance. Overall i still liked it though as we finally got some story moving forward.