Thundercats VHS question...

Discussion in 'Vintage Collectables' started by Cap'n Cracka, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

Does anyone out there happen to collect the VHS tapes?? I only have a few currently but i am looking into building custom Thundercats VHS shelving unit/box thing display them. I'm just trying to get an idea on how many VHS tapes are out there so i can get started on this display box. If anyone has a complete list of the tapes released in the US as well as the UK, can you please let me know. If not, below I am posting the tapes I have found info about and if anyone has one add it to the make shift list. thanks for any and all info. ( it may get confusing due to the different companies that put out the videos, but they seem to have a different 2 episodes each)

The List thus far

The Video Collection
    -Thundercats Exodus
    -Thundercats Double Case
    Vol.1 - The Doomgaze & The Terror Of HammerHand
    Vol.2 - The Spaceship Beneath the Sands & Lord of The Snows
    -Thundercats Vol.4 Snarf takes up the Challenge & The Trouble With Time
    -Thundercats Vol.5 Berbils & Mandora The Evil Chaser
    -Thundercats Pumm-ra & Spittin​g Image
    -Thundercats All that Glitters
    -Thundercats Ho!The Movie

F.h.e Video
    -Thundercats Exodus
    -Thundercats Pumm-Ra
    -Thundercats Fireballs of Plundarr
    -Thundercats The Wolfrat
    -Thundercats Return to Thundera
    -Thundercats Spitting Image
    -Thundercats The Ghost Warrior
    -Thundercats The Trouble with Time
    -Thundercats Safari Joe
    -Thundercats Tower of Traps

Lollipop Video
    -Thundercats - Tower of Traps/ The garden of delight
    -Thundercats- Slaves of Castle Plun-darr/ The Goomgaze

HollyWood Nyte Video
    -Thundercats- Tower of Traps/The garden of delight/ slaves of castle plun-darr
    -Thundercats- Slaves of Castle Plun-darr

Wynd Up Records
    -Thundercats- The Time Capsule/ Fireballs of Plun-darr

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

Yep! I have most of the UK VHS tapes, which I've added to the sites VHS section :) I think I still need to add ThunderCats Ho! The Movie to the site. I'm missing the following:

-Video Collection: Double VHS set (I think it was a repackage of Berbils/Mandora The Evil Chaser and Pumm-Ra/Spitting Image)

-Video Collection: The Terror of Hammerhand (cardboard sleeve)

-Lollipop: Volume 2 The Slaves of Castle Plundarr/The Doomgaze

-HollyWood Nytes Video: Tower of Traps/The Garden of Delights/Slaves of Castle Plun-darr

If anyone can provide scans of any of the above, it would be very much appreciated :)

As for the USA releases, I used to have a complete list somewhere so I'll try to find it :) I don't own any of those though :(

3. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

hey blackiecats, i believe i have images for all of the VHS's you mentioned above. what is easier for you...me posting them in this thread or emailing pics??? just let me know.

4. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I owned a few "ThunderCats" videotapes by Family Home Entertainment.

5. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then below is the only double VHS I have seen....
    [​IMG]

here are the covers for the berbils/ mandora vhs and the Pumm-ra/spitting image

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

is there a double case for those episodes out there too ?!?!

6. blackiecats

Email please! :) However posting them here would be cool too as I don't know when I will get them up on the site :(

It's years since I've seen that double VHS set I mentioned above!

7. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

I just sent ya over a pm. but i think i am missing the double vhs you mentioned...i didnt even know there was one for that!?!?! just when i thought i knew what vhs's were out there too !!

8. blackiecats

Yes I'm sure it was in the same style packaging as the double VHS you have, but the cover was a reworked version of the Berbils/Mandora The Evil Chaser cover featuring Lion-O and Castle Plun-Darr :) Basically same images resized to fit the bigger case. I know it contained Berbils/Mandora The Evil Chaser on one VHS, but I forget what the other cassette contained... I think it might have been Pumm-Ra/Spitting Image. It was likely the exact same cassettes as the single releases, simply repackaged together.

9. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

Oh wow i had no idea..now that i know its out there....i will find it. in time. haha. let the search begin

10. Originalthundercatroar

Originalthundercatroar Vortex Explorer

For the American VHS F.H.E. releases there was Spaceship Beneath the Sinking Sands, and Lord of the Snows.

Exodus, Spitting Image, Pumm-Ra, The Trouble with Time, Spaceship Beneath the Sinking Sands, and The Ghost Warrior in addition to the small cartons, came in oversized boxes too, and the tape was held in a thin plastic tray. More often than not you find those cracked/torn and broken inside the boxes.

I just include pictures so that you can see the difference between the sizes of the boxes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the VHS FHE tapes, there are also variant packaging that features the original "full" box art as you see above, but the whole carton is grey in color. Certainly not as pretty as the full black background tapes.

I've also seen Exodus and The Trouble With Time printed by F.H.E. in Betamax form too with the same artwork and everything! (just smaller) I don't know if they recorded any more episodes for Beta since VHS beat out that format, but I have seen beat up examples on the 'Bay. Those are rare, rare, rare! I wish I'da' bought them.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  11. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

Thanks for the info originalthundercatroar. geez there is a lot more than i originally knew of. now im excited. thanks again!

12. Daremonger

I believe the FHE "ThunderCats" tapes (including "Lord of the Snows") should be given a digital overhaul so that they'll remain in perfect condition. ;)

13. SnarfofOmens

SnarfofOmens Berbill

Woah, i never realised there were soo many, especially the double packs! I've alot of catching up to do.

14. bronty

bronty Junior Member

OMG thanks for the photo of the spines! I have this original artwork and I didn't know wtf it was for and now I know!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Those are beautiful pieces, bronty! Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

What type of paper are they painted on?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  16. Daremonger

Those Panthro and Tygra portraits are most definitely show-accurate.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  17. bronty

bronty Junior Member

thanks! They are painted on illustration board

18. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

That's cool!:) Are they the same size as the image on the VHS box spine? I 'm guessing that they might be bigger since normally most illustrations are generally done at double the required size.

19. bronty

bronty Junior Member

definitely bigger. I can't recall exactly how big the spine art is, but the covers I posted earlier are over 20 inches by 15 inches and the vhs boxes are like what, 7 by 5 or something.

20. Daremonger

The younger Tygra's hair looks distinguishable from WilyKat's. I kinda like that.